Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I've always favored rounds that make bigger holes. The truth is either one will do the job if you put the rounds on target. Which one do you shoot better? Are both equally reliable?

Reactions: SatCong and cal44

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
The 38sp is by far the most common round and has a longer track record in home defense and every where else.

I would just go with 38sp+P and not be to concerned: however, if I only had a 32 H&R MAG, I would use it and not spend the money to buy a 38sp.

Reactions: cal44

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I know a guy whose wife is a 49 Nagum..........:hand5:

Message from Admin. - You must be 18 years old in order to post on this forum.

·
Registered
6,906 Posts
I think that the .327/ .32 mag have potential, however there is not much data on actual shootings on the street with them. My seat of the pants feeling is that it would fall somewhere between a .380 and a standard 9mm (not +P). Also bonded projectiles play a big factor especially in the smaller calibers. I see the potential advantage if the .327/ .32 mag is a 6 shot revolver vs. the traditional 5 shot J frame. (That's why I have always been a fan of the 6 shot D frame Colts!) Just my .02 worth!

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
I have both and have more confidence with the 32. The lighter recoil makes for faster follow up shots and is MUCH easier for me to control shooting single handed, especially if i had to use my left (weak side) hand.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
.32 h&r magnum is an interesting cartridge. .327 federal magnum is it's big brother who has been spending a lot of time at the gym, and is a VERY interesting cartridge. Some of the hot loads for .327 federal have more energy than a good .40 s&w load. It isn't going to replace .357 magnum or 10mm in my mind....but a ruger LCR has 6 rounds of .327 federal in a tiny package. A very interesting proposition.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
Defensive ammo for the 32 that penetrates and expands from a short barrel? I checked YouTube and did not see any gel tests.
Ballistics By The Inch had data for the 32 H&R BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .32 H&R Results
85 gr. @ 978 fps (181# KE) from Ruger SP101 (Not sure if that is magnum - Federal 85 gr. JHP)

For comparison, 380 auto: BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .380 Auto Results (2010)
90 gr. @ 918 fps (168# KE) from Ruger LCP - Speer Gold Dot
95 gr. @ 896 fps (169# KE) from a Ruger LCP - Winchester PDX

38 Special from a S&W 642 BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .38 Special Results
125 gr. @ 847 fps (199# KE) Federal Hydra-Shok
135 gr. @ 897 fps (241# KE) Speer Gold Dot

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The .32 Mag is fun to shoot, and has "enough" to get the job done. If you have ONLY the .32 H&R, no real need to get a .38 Special.

·
Registered
863 Posts
The buffalo bore 100gr .32 H&R +p ammo has quite a bit of kick to it very close to the federal American eagle .327 round. I don't know the ballistic difference but you can really feel the kick with that round. I feel very well protected with the 432pd and the buffalo bore ammo.

·
Premium Member
7,049 Posts
The buffalo bore 100gr .32 H&R +p ammo has quite a bit of kick to it very close to the federal American eagle .327 round. I don't know the ballistic difference but you can really feel the kick with that round. I feel very well protected with the 432pd and the buffalo bore ammo.
Using out-of-spec ammunition is never wise.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts