Defensive Carry banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
Loaded to a maximum average pressure of 45,000psi the .327 Federal Magnum is one of the most powerful (if not the most powerful), commercially available handgun cartridge you can buy... .38 Special loads can't compete with the .327...
Hey, it's a cool caliber, but higher MAP does not automatically translate to "more powerful"!

You're correct that ".38 Special loads can't compete with the .327" with respect to raw "power", but a .357 sure can by a wide margin, and any of the larger magnums will "blow it out of the water", so to speak. "Powerwise", a .327 Fed Mag is roughly comparable to a .40 S&W or a hot 9mm +P.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey, it's a cool caliber, but higher MAP does not automatically translate to "more powerful"
Well, that depends on how you define "more powerful". Do you think if you put a cartridge with a MAP of 45,000psi in a 9mm, .40 S&W, .357 Magnum, or .45 pistol it wouldn't have a very high chance of destroying it? Because of the higher pressures, revolvers for the .327 Federal Magnum tend to be on the heavier side when compared to revolvers for the .38 Special. These higher pressures also translates to muzzle blast, a loud bang, and a lot of concussion. All of this has to be taken into account when carrying a pistol for defensive purposes.

You're correct that ".38 Special loads can't compete with the .327" with respect to raw "power", but a .357 sure can by a wide margin, and any of the larger magnums will "blow it out of the water", so to speak. "Powerwise", a .327 Fed Mag is roughly comparable to a .40 S&W or a hot 9mm +P.
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I know the .327 Federal Magnum can't compete with the .357 Magnum, or many of the larger caliber pistols. But, can you imagine what a .357 Magnum pistol designed to handle a MAP of 45,000psi safely, and reliably, would be like? Heavy, and bulky.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have owned a LCR 327 for over a year and a SP101 3" in 327 for a few months less than the LCR.

My wife purchased one at the place where she took her concealed carry class and I foofawed it until I started reading about it and shot hers.

Once I shot hers I purchased the LCR........liked it a lot. 100 grain AE and 130 gr Buffalo Bore was a tad stiff for me with the lcr so I got the SP101. Works great.

Have hjad the LCR in my cargo pants pocket for the last two days.

A couple of weeks ago I helped an 81 yo lady get a LCR. She had used mine to try it out and liked it.

She and my wife shoot and carry 32 H&R Magnum.

The LCR is a very concealable weapon and my research says that it will do the job if necessary.

·
Registered
906 Posts
i have a 327 Ruger LCR.

The only load in 327 i have on hand is the speer 100 gr gold dot. If i was going to peg the recoil, it would be a bit less than 357 loads in my Ruger LCR 357.....A moot point for me as i can not tolerate the recoil enough to practice extensively with either gun in 327 or 357.

i bought the lcr 357 mag specifically for shooting 38's.....the 4 xtra ounces with the steel frame help manage recoil better. Over time however, my 38 loads became lighter and lighter.....Manageable, enjoyable, and a lot of good range time to really work with the revolver with std pressure loads.

then i got a wild hair and had to have an LCR in 327. I got it with the 32 H&R magnum in mind.....it gives me the std 38 performance but with even less recoil and with six rds on board instead of five.....

:ROFLMAO: so yes.....in a way, i did actually go the "high capacity" route......i went from five to six rds.....what is that? an increase of what......20 percent more capacity?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have two 32 caliber S&W j-frames
- one for the MRS (model 631) loaded with 32h&r Mag Hornady Critical Defense
- one for the MR (model 632) loaded with 327 Fed Speer Gold Dot
They both are manageable to shoot.

·
Premium Member
37,427 Posts
Pretty hard to feed, given current availability:

Reactions: demanic

·
Registered
15 Posts
GB prices have beenabsolutely CRAZY... 2.00 per range round... or more for the winning bidder.
Too rich for my blood. I've still got plenty in stock and I've got around 600 rounds of once fired brass ready to have reloaded...

Demanic,
I had been eyeing the Henry Big Boy lever action rifles, deciding which model to acquire when the 2020 shutdown happened and all my gun purchasing stopped, changing over to ammo purchasing instead. One can never have enough ammo...

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
The M327 I had was a cool little pistol and when I pocket carried it it was stoked with the AE 100gr JSP rounds, as far as shooting it though I much preferred the .32 H&R mags , the .327 federal were very unpleasant with the harsh reports actually moving my face around through the over pressure 😳
The .32 H&R feeling and reacting more like hot .38 spc. I really wouldn't mind finding a 3" sp101 chambered for the round 🤔

21 - 31 of 31 Posts