Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just Got A New S&w 340 Pd Today And Cannot Believe How Light This Thing Is. My Question Though Is If Any One Has Heard Of Or Experienced Cylinder Lock Up Due To The Bullets Unseating Themselves From The Cases Due To The Hard Recoil When Using Magnum Loads. Just Wondering.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Ive read about it happening but dont have a lightweight ..

But even in the big boomers like the 454 and 500 i have never had a problem with this

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One Of The Guys I Work With Said He Heard About This But, I Myself Have Never Heard Or Read Anything To This Effect.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
If you wanna do a test mark one bullet and them measure it fire the rest of the cylinder and measure it again if it grows well ya know what's happening ..

If it doesn't the first 5 then you will be ok for carry..

I can run 5 335 - 440 grain boomers thought the 500 and they don't grow at all now i suppose if i kept one round and fired 3-4 cylinders full it would grow

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I can get slight ''growth'' in my heavy 45-70 rounds thru my BFR and that is a heavy gun and - I apply a strong factory crimp.

There are folks who report this in lightweights but Bud's suggestion is way to go IMO - shoot and measure - shoot and measure.

Trouble is with the light gun, the ''Newtonian'' effect is greater such that the gun ''absorbs'' much less recoil due to its low mass - the bullets are by comparison small and high density mass so i do think you can get something like the effect of the inertial bullet-puller.

Could be one ammo brand better than others here but never had to put this to test myself. A good crimp on a cannelure should hold bullets OK, but mag loads still need checked IMO.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Dang its hard to believe the 45/70's are growing Roll crimp?

I've been using Redding profile crimp with 454 and 500 and really seems to squeeze not only the crimp at the cannelure but to squeeze the whole cartridge down

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Don't get me wrong Bud - it is minor, very minor - but measurable.

I factory crimp very firmly on top groove - or shall we say shoulder, of the 405's - see pic. The finished round has the crimp right into that.

But, by shot #5 there is a just detectable showing of that top groove - enough to see but in length terms very minimal. I could apply even more crimp but I want the Starline brass to do a lot of reloads!

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Well as long as it isn't to bad i guess its not a worry

I really am surprised the 500 doesn't grow i got some new bullets coming 700 grainers so once there loaded ill fire 4 and see if the 5th one got longer

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
700 - :eek:

Heck man that's around 1.6 ounces each - that'll make em awful long tho.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have put about 500 rounds through my 340PD with about 200 of them 357 mag (for quals), never had a glitch only a very sore hand after each 20 round qual course.
Laser grip helped for sighting when hands are sore and when you know the next round will just plain suck.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
NFEDERIC said:
Just Got A New S&w 340 Pd Today And Cannot Believe How Light This Thing Is. My Question Though Is If Any One Has Heard Of Or Experienced Cylinder Lock Up Due To The Bullets Unseating Themselves From The Cases Due To The Hard Recoil When Using Magnum Loads. Just Wondering.
Yes.

I'm a member at the S&W Sports Training Center here in Springfield,MA and the very similar 325PD (.45ACP) is one of favorite guns to rent and yes they are very lightweight in deed. Every time I've used it though always without failI get this condition although each time I've used their target ammo. They suggest using defensive ammo or a quality target ammo. In one case the bullet came completely unseated from casing leaving my hand covered in powder and the cylinder blocked/jammed completely.
I've yet to try it with my own ammunition but even still the thing shoots so well I am very seriously considering picking one up as a home defense gun.

- Janq

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
QKShooter said:
Stay away from cheap bulk reloads.
With that thought Anytime i read about a gun being tied up i always wonder were these factory loads? or their own reloads? or cheap no name or even sometimes big name reloads?

·
Administrator
143,825 Posts
I hear you Bud

The better quality/brands of factory ammo seem to be pretty doggone resistant to bullet slippage these days.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
I mean think about ti the little 500 isnt little and has some recoil even with light bullets factory round dont pull the bullet and lock it up so I think they finally got that problem fixed.

If its a big ammo maker .. Michigan ammo is a good loacl ammo maker reloader i should say but even in 38 sp with normal loads they grow

1 - 18 of 18 Posts