Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At this point I've stock piled ammo at the family's acreage. I've got my own stock pile here at home. Somewhere along the way I started packing a ammo box of (around 350 rounds of .357 Sig) every time I would travel to the family acreage (about a two hour drive). Then I just stopped packing it, and just stored the extra ammo in a (metal) ammo box it in the trunk.

When I take an overnight trip I carry my subcompact Glock 33 and have my standard Glock 31 in a Safepacker holster behind the passenger's seat (somewhere easy to reach).

I was headed up last weekend (to prep a few spots for deer season) and my wife noticed I've stopped taking the ammo box out of the trunk. She asked why.

I've been going back and forth enough that I left it there, mostly, out of lazyness. Why unpack something your just going to repack in a week or two. Besides, you never know when you might need it.

She suggested it might be a bad idea, especially if stopped by the police. She also suggested there was no point storing something worth $150+ in the trunk of the car, when I had more than enough ammo at the destination and at home. She expressed I carry plenty ammo in mags for the trip, not considering the ammo she had.

She made some points, and don't read into it that she was being argumentative. We normally take around 100 rounds (each) of ammo for target practice, she asked if I need any of my rounds, and that was when I told her I've just been leaving a ammo container / box of 350 in the car.

Arrived home Sunday, and I unpacked it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well I have to agree with the young lady on this one. No need having all that ammo if you dont plan on using it.

Besides, the price of ammo these days I would hate to think how upset I would be if my car was broken into and I lost all that ammo to the hands of some skumbag...

You know as well as I do, the're out there to..

·
Registered
542 Posts
Definiytely not a good idea if, say, you ever get involved in an accident that causes a fire...

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
While I can see taking that much and more with you while going from one home to the other, I wouldn't store ANYTHING I don't want stolen in a car.

I think the fire hazard after an accident is real but odds are small. I think the chance of having the trunk searched (legally) are small, but could result in some 'splainin and odd reactions.

The big hazard is good old fashioned vandalism and theft.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
The heat that can accumulate in a vehicle makes for bad storage conditions.

On a less serious note, could you imagine the news story if something ever happened, they would be talking about the huge arsenal you were carrying around.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I carry nothing of value 'in view' in my car. I also would not keep a firearm or ammo there either...except for a trip where I would need extra ammo (vacation, taking a course, transportating one-way).
That's just me...:icon_neutral:

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Why would it be a problem with the police in Michigan? I've had thousands of rounds with me going to the range and never even gave it a thought. There is no law that I'm aware of that states I can't carry ammo in any amount that I want. 350 rounds is not even a good morning at the gravel pit. I wouldn't even think twice.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Not a good idea.
You should send it to me.
I've got a nice cool dry storage area.
Heh, heh, heh ... (oh, sorry, you weren't supposed to hear the evil cackle!)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Definiytely not a good idea if, say, you ever get involved in an accident that causes a fire...
All that would happen is the cases might rupture if they got hot enough to ignite the powder. There will be no flying bullets. This was proven rather conclusively my MythBusters a couple of years ago.

I still wouldn't store that much ammo in my trunk, though.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hmm depends on the city you live in. What city in MI is that? And what might the make and color of your car be... :image035: hehe just kidding

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I think since you have ammo stored at both locations, as your wife pointed out, it isn't really necessary to take the eatra along, unless your replenishing your supply.

·
Registered
46 Posts
1. You are paying too much for ammo if its worth is $150
2. Ammo goes boom during a fire, that's it. No flying bullets, just boom.
3. I wouldn't worry about it. If its in an ammo box in the trunk, it'll last a long time like that.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I do not see a problem with storing ammo in trunk.

I keep some extra ammo for my EDC and rifle in my truck, in a bug out bag, just in case. I may be out and decide to go to the range or if the SHTF, 200 rounds for my EDC and 200 rounds for the rifle may come in handy.
I also keep some water, energy bars, first-aid kit, flashlight and a poncho with liner, but that is just me. I would rather have the stuff and never need it, then need it and not have it.

Yes, I do rotate the stuff in the bug out bag.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1. You are paying too much for ammo if its worth is $150...
Most likely more than $150, as it includes two boxes os SD ammo. .357 Sig.

Why would it be a problem with the police in Michigan?...
Your safe as a CC permit holder, but the laws are a little confusing in MI when it comes to the transportation of firearms, and I'm guessing the wife is picking up on some of the stories we have heard at the range, when you run into a LE who does not fully understand the law. Besides, the police you are likely to encounter in the UP will be more aware of relevant laws.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The only thing I store in my are the car chargers for the cell and GPS (GPS goes with me when I get out of the car) insulated shopping bags from Sam's Club and take out menus from my favorite restaurants. There may be tire gage in the glove box, but that's it. There is nothing in my car with my address on it either, not even a piece of junk mail.

So, storing 350 rounds of ammo would be out of the question.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with keeping 350 rounds in the car provided you are OK with the risk of it being broken into. I am fortunate that I live in a decent town and my daily travels do not put me in areas where I am overly concerned about vehicle breakins. I've never had a car broken into and have been driving for almost 27 years. With that said, I am sure I will be broken into before the end of the week.

I do, however, completely understand those of you who never leave anything of value in your vehicle. It's all about evaluating risks.

Bottom line is I have evaluated the risks and losing $150 in ammo with a vehicle breakin would be the least of my concerns. I would be more upset about how many times I will have to go into Wal-Mart to replace the stolen ammo.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts