Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Least expensive but still trust worthy .357 Carbine suggestions please??

Links to your suggestion appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
Marlin Model 1894C

Without a doubt one of the best handling and best shooting firearms in my collection. They can be a bit tricky to find sometimes. But they are a pleasure to shoot with .38's, and the .357's aren't too bad either. As accurate as I am off handed out to at least 100 yards (furthest I've tried). No magazine to lose, reliable. If you have any specific questions about it I'll try to answer them for ya.

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
+1000 on the Marlin.

I have one in .357 and one in .44. Light, tough, and great tight actions.

Do a side by side with a Winchester (no flames, I like Winchester too) and you'll pick the Marlin every time.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Stay with the Marlin. I have a Marlin and a Winchester... I'll pick the Marlin over the Winchester everyday... The Winchester is not reliable with .38's, only .357's...

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
I agree... Marlin Cowboy 1894C. I pick it over my 30-30 Winchester.

Mine is the 24" barrel, not the 20 " barrel, and at 100 yrds no change in the sight, and at 200 yds, 1 click, with .357's. Nail it consistently at both distances with the iron sights. You can mount a scope if you want one, I haven't found a need for one.

I can carry my 7-shot .357 revolver , and no problem with carrying different ammo.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
All of the above plus I would look at the Henry and the Rossi. 357 mag from a carbine is much more powerful than 357 handgun.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
If you want something a bit cheaper (just a tad) and a bit more available, and a bit shorter, consider the Rossi/Puma 16". The problem is they're top ejectors and there's no place to mount a peep sight or scope on top of one of those. You have to hand sights off a side plate or mount the sight to the side plate. The marlin has a solid top receiver that's tapped so you can add a peep sight or a scope. I don't have one but I think a fixed 4 power rimfire scope would look and perform perfectly on one It's the right size and enough power and it wouldn't look too bad on one.

So, other than these I've never seen a good .357 carbine that's current production.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I have a 38-357 Rossi carbine that I bought over 30 years ago. Wonderful little rifle!!!!! To this day it is my rifle of choice when der hunting in heavy cover. None have gone very far with a 158gr gas checked Keith style bullet in their boiler room.

Short,light,accurate, and powerful enough to get the job done when the limitations are taken into consideration.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 38-357 Rossi carbine that I bought over 30 years ago. Wonderful little rifle!!!!! To this day it is my rifle of choice when der hunting in heavy cover. None have gone very far with a 158gr gas checked Keith style bullet in their boiler room.

Short,light,accurate, and powerful enough to get the job done when the limitations are taken into consideration.
What's the going price for a Rossi like yours now?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Go for the Rossi M92 Puma and be done with it. The Winchester 1892 action was designed around pistol length cartridges whereas the 1894 was designed around the longer (30-30) rifle cartridges. The only real issues that occasionally seem to crop up is when feeding the shorter pistol cartridges through a 1894 action.

I love my Puma M92's and have never had an issue with the ..357 Mag or .44 Mag. Besides, it the 1892 was good enough for the Rifleman and the Duke, it's good enough for me. :image035:

My .44 Magnum Rossi M92 Puma:

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
ummmmm kinda sorta....

Maybe a silly question...anyone make a lever or pump carbine in 9mm?
Not a pump, but I used to own one of these in a 9mm and I loved it! I had an extended 30rd mag for a Browning Hi-Power and that was the mag type I got the carbine for. Kel Tec The folding nature of this gun put it at almost exactly 18" folded. Very 0-0-7!

I also like this (next on my purchase list): Kel Tec

·
Registered
210 Posts
Go for the Rossi M92 Puma and be done with it. The Winchester 1892 action was designed around pistol length cartridges whereas the 1894 was designed around the longer (30-30) rifle cartridges. The only real issues that occasionally seem to crop up is when feeding the shorter pistol cartridges through a 1894 action.

I love my Puma M92's and have never had an issue with the ..357 Mag or .44 Mag. Besides, it the 1892 was good enough for the Rifleman and the Duke, it's good enough for me. :image035:

My .44 Magnum Rossi M92 Puma:
I think you're confusing the 1894 (which was also designed around pistol length cartridges) with the model 36/336 (the .30-30 length action).

PC

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
My best friend passed away recently: at his funeral mention was made of his outshooting the OSU Rifle Team, at practice, with his 39A Marlin and CCI Mini Mags, and them with Anschutz and Eley.
Marlins are accurate.
Winchester trademarked the slogan "The Gun That Won the West."
Marlin actually did the work but Winchester had the better press agents.
Marlin has fewer moving parts, heavier made moving parts, more reliable moving parts; it's designed to be worked on by a cowboy using a ground off pocket knife for a screw driver.
I read on one of these boards where a coroner's assistant prefers a .357 lever carbine for her home defense piece, based on her real world observations.
I use a Marlin in cowboy action shooting.
If I need something that absolutely positively is gonna work when the second hand horse feed hits the oscillating air moving device, that Marlin is one of two I would reach for.
The other is a double barrel, outside hammer 12 gauge.
(Caveat: Make sure that little screw near the loading gate is tight. If it works loose it'll jam on you.)

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
Not a pump, but I used to own one of these in a 9mm and I loved it! I had an extended 30rd mag for a Browning Hi-Power and that was the mag type I got the carbine for. Kel Tec The folding nature of this gun put it at almost exactly 18" folded. Very 0-0-7!

I also like this (next on my purchase list): Kel Tec
Yup, the KT Sub 2000 is on my short list - just can't seem to find one that takes Glock 19 magazines. Local shops have them for the G17, but I'd prefer to use the mags I already have.

·
Super Moderator
22,139 Posts
I think you're confusing the 1894 (which was also designed around pistol length cartridges) with the model 36/336 (the .30-30 length action).

PC
I believe he's referring to the Winchester model 1894/94.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts