Defensive Carry banner

.357 mag. JSP question

5K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Bart 
Forster makes a hollow-pointer for tasks like this. Check Midway or other on-line shooting outfits.

If you have a case trimmer, you can mount the Forster product on it. I used mine a couple of times to see how it worked, and it was fine. I decided not to pursue using it, however, because I doubted whether a nice hollow point drilled into hardcast bullets would really expand. In your case, you're looking at drilling a hole into soft lead, and it is probably more likely to expand well.

As I recall, the hole I drilled into a 158g lead bullet reduced its weight by about 5-7 grains or so.

My bottom line: it would be a fun project if you like that sort of thing, and would be safe to do. Necessary for effective SD? Probably not, as a .357-anything should be quite effective.

But then, my personal situation leads me to place mugh higher value on penetration rather than expansion, anyway, so much of my SD/HD ammo is LWC or LSWC anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.