Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently the largest caliber I carry is a .9mm. I'm itching to get another carry gun and want to get a more powerful one. I keep going back and for between getting a .357 snubbie or a compact 1911 style .45. I don't own a revolver and I like the simplicity along with the versatility of .357 or .38 special. I love the way 1911s look and I like the Single Action trigger (current autos are DAO). Eventually I want to get both but that is down the road.

So what are your opinions as to carrying a .357 snubbie or a compact .45?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Well, knowing you want to get both down the road, I think whatever you pick is the right choice. I recommend the revolver if you are looking towards a smaller CCW weapon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Currently the largest caliber I carry is a .9mm. I'm itching to get another carry gun and want to get a more powerful one. I keep going back and for between getting a .357 snubbie or a compact 1911 style .45. I don't own a revolver and I like the simplicity along with the versatility of .357 or .38 special. I love the way 1911s look and I like the Single Action trigger (current autos are DAO). Eventually I want to get both but that is down the road.

a .9mm? Where do I get one? I need to take care of these gnats! :haha:

I carry a .45, but the .357mag is also a proven round. Get with your buds, shoot both, take your pick based on how well you can stay on target after a shot. I only picked the .45 because the HK45 picked ME when I held it for the first time.

·
Registered
182 Posts
IMHO a snubbie doesn't have enough barrel length to see any advantage to the .357 over the .38+p loads. I'd save a few bucks and get a .38.

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
The lightest and smallest .357 Magnum I will carry is a 2 1/4" Ruger SP101 when I carry a .357 Magnum Revolver.

BTW: that SP101 is a BUG to a larger .357 Magnum, and not as a "primary". If you opt to carry one gun, and one caliber, for me it would be either a 3" or 4" .357 magnum or a 5" 1911, but then I very seldom carry one gun off duty.

Small .357 Magnums are not fun to shoot. If I can't shoot at least fifty rounds, qualification type course with one, I don't want to carry it. I can shoot fifty rounds through the SP101, not so the S&W 640, if both are loaded with my preferred .357 Magnum carry ammunition. You may be different, and be able to shoot the J-Frame for fifty rounds out to 25 Yards. I don't know.

Between the two calibers it would be a hard choice for me personally, but niether would be a "small" gun. I prefer the Gov't size in a 1911 and the 3" or 4" in a "primary" .357 Magnum revolver. I most often carry a 3" when I pack a .357 Magnum revolver, but carry two other revolvers as well, and one of them is another .357 Magnum.

I hope that helps to answer your question. If I was limited to only owning one gun, it would be a 4" .357 Magnum, but I'm not limited to such an option at this point in time, so it's not really a consideration for me right now. When I carry my 1911 I also carry a J-Frame.

Biker

·
Registered
830 Posts
Go with whatever you shoot better. I own 2 .45 ACPs and my Security Six .357 and right now the .357 is the one i go to. Neither will let you down stopping power wise as long as you can get the shot placement down. Try as many pistols in both calibers as you can to help you better decide

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
either or. they both will work.

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
Either will work, and you're eventually going to get both? It's a matter of your present preference...which one is calling your name the loudest?:22a:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Go with whatever you shoot better. I own 2 .45 ACPs and my Security Six .357 and right now the .357 is the one i go to. Neither will let you down stopping power wise as long as you can get the shot placement down. Try as many pistols in both calibers as you can to help you better decide
Well said! I own both and carry one or the other, 95% of the time.
The third option is a .38 J-frame, only carried when I can't hide the others.
Hands down I shoot the .357 considerably better than I do the .45, but the .45 hides a little better. For me, I would rather dress around the gun a little more and carry the one I have the most confidence with.
My .45 carries 8 rounds and my .357 carries 7, but that one extra round doesn't give me much if any advantage if I don't shoot it as well.
My .357 weighs more than my .45, 36.8oz compared to 28 oz unloaded. A .357 in a lightweight frame can be painful to shoot, a heavier frame takes up a lot of the recoil.
Most people find a semi-auto faster to reload than a revolver.
Rent and try both, see which one you like better, taking in account, how it feels in your hand, weight, and how well it conceals the way you normally dress. Think of how much weight you can carry all day, comfortably, will you be willing to dress around the gun, revolvers like mine can be bulky.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
What size snubbie are you thinking about? IIRC Rugergirl has a L-frame 686 plus with 3" barrel, which IMO, is as perfect as it can get for a carry revolver, if your thinking a smaller framed .357 magnum, then the S&W model 60 pro with 3" barrel might fill the role nicely, or, as BikerRN suggested, a ruger SP101, I'm partial to smiths personally, but you can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
they are 2 different animals. Ballistics wise you couldn't go wrong with either as the energy delivered is pretty close between .45+p and .357mag. You would get more rounds in the .45, the .357 will deliver slightly more energy per round. It comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts

One stands out in my head...... GLOCK33 .357 sig in a compact CC pistol. IMO one of the best options currently out there. You could do allot worse and not much better all at the same time. :wink:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yep

they are 2 different animals. Ballistics wise you couldn't go wrong with either as the energy delivered is pretty close between .45+p and .357mag. You would get more rounds in the .45, the .357 will deliver slightly more energy per round. It comes down to personal preference.
I would add that muzzle blast/flash from a snubbie 357 is horrific. 357 and 45 guns are bigger than most peeps will EDC. To me; 357 if you are also a hunter, 45 if you are not.:theyareontome:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
.357mag

Excellent, proven stopper
For optimal round performance need min. 3" barrel (shorter equals big performance loss)
Typically limited to revolver
5 to 7rounds on board
Very slow to reload
Reload method - speedloader, speed strip or dump pouch
Bulkier (width)
Small, LW revolvers HURT with .357 ammo

.45acp

Excellent, proven stopper
Guns are typically min. 3" barrel
Semi auto platform
6 to 8 rounds on board
Quick to reload
Reload method - spare mags
Slim, easy to carry
Easy to shoot, comfortable on the hand

I would say it basically comes down to which gun platform you want first. I own (4) 1911's and (3) .357 mag revo's, two of which are snubs. IMO ? They're all good.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I EDC a subcompact 1911 in 45 but I am a great believer that every man (and/or woman) needs at least one Revolver in his/her assortment and the .357 Magnum would be the first one if only one can be chosen. Versatile and many different rounds from low powered .38 on up to screaming hot rod .357 choices can be put through the same gun. No brainer really. Since I do not concealed carry mine I prefer a 4 or 6" barrel.

·
Registered
764 Posts
there both power houses, get whatever fits your hand the best. I carry a 3" .357 sp101, after taking off the crap stock grip and putting on a hogue monogrip it fits my hand like a glove and it's easy to conceal. I hike a lot and load it with 180gr lead flat nose buffalo bore rounds.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I would add that muzzle blast/flash from a snubbie 357 is horrific. 357 and 45 guns are bigger than most peeps will EDC. To me; 357 if you are also a hunter, 45 if you are not.:theyareontome:
I've yet to experience this. It must come down to choice of ammo. I carry/shoot 125 gr Mag-Tech Guardian Gold and 135 gr Gold Dots in my snub 357.

I would go with the 45, especially if its a Commander. Even better is a commander slide on an officer frame. I have one and it is a very potent package and very easily concealable. Oddly enough, I carry 357 more, now that I think about it. In fact, I'm pretty sure that my next carry gun is going to be a 4" 627 Tracker, ported in 357. Full house magnum loads feel like 38s and 38+p like 22s in my 6" 689. Porting makes for some very quick follow up shots in a carry revolver.

So aah...in sum, either one will be a great pick. :image035:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I would add that muzzle blast/flash from a snubbie 357 is horrific.
Only if you see it. Very rarely do I ever see any muzzle flash from my .
357 or my.44 Magnum. If you look at the end of the barrel when you fire, sure you might see it. I rarely do. When I practice at the range, once I have my sights aligned and pull the trigger, I'm looking up at the target, as(hopefully) one would do if they were firing at an attacker, who most likely is moving.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts