Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a .357 mag M66 model and I know I can throw .38 and .38 special out of it, but my main question, Can I throw .38 HP and .38 special HP rounds out of it?

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Que?
It should feed and fire all 38 special and 357 mag loads HP ,SP what ever ...

Do you mean 38 s&w?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, wasn't asking about 38 s&w, I got it as a holiday present, and im just new to the fact .357 mag can throw .38's so I just wanted to make sure HP ammow in 38 wouldn't dmg my gun. I know its a dumb question, but im new to the .357 world. :/

·
Super Moderator
18,050 Posts
The only difference between the 38 and the 357 is the 357 is .10 inch longer to prevent loading in a gun chambered for 38. as far as HP, SP. JHP those are bullet types and are suitable for either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only difference between the 38 and the 357 is the 357 is .10 inch longer to prevent loading in a gun chambered for 38. as far as HP, SP. JHP those are bullet types and are suitable for either.
Alrighty, thank you for clearin that up for me. Cant wait to take this monster to the local range and try it out.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Yep .... load and go. If HP's would harm a .357 either in .38 or .357 mag, I would have destroyed a lot of guns in my life. Just keep any body parts clear of the area of the wheel when shooting, so you don't lose them.

Reactions: Eric357

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep .... load and go. If HP's would harm a .357 either in .38 or .357 mag, I would have destroyed a lot of guns in my life. Just keep any body parts clear of the area of the wheel when shooting, so you don't lose them.
good to know, I carried a Ruger SR9 for the last 2 years, over the summer I had a self defense situation and the darn thing after my warning shot refused to chamber the next round, So I mentioned to my uncle I wanted a revolver, and he hooked me up with a .357 M66 4 inch. All heavy, but im itchin to shoot it.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Your 66 should be able to handle any .38 Special ammo including +P regardless of the bullet configuration. My wife has my 2.5" S&W 66 loaded with 125 Gr. .38 Spec +P SJHP. The 3" S&W 65 I occasionally carry is loaded with the same ammo. You should have no problems at all.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yes shooting .38 specials from a .357 mag will result in residue on front of the cylinder face. If you keep up with it it comes off fairly easily.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
Do yourself a favor, treat the cylinder with EEZOX. The residue will easily wipe off when cleaning.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
If your revolver is rated for .357, then you can shoot any .38 special on the shelf. Whether +P or whatevs. I have two .357s and they are champs on the range. But generally, I run .38s through them, because I don't like my hands bleeding.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
The 4" Smith 66 is probably the finest fighting revolver ever made! Congratulations!! It should function just fine with any factory .38 Special or .357 Magnum you decide to use !!

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
61 Posts
good to know, I carried a Ruger SR9 for the last 2 years, over the summer I had a self defense situation and the darn thing after my warning shot refused to chamber the next round, So I mentioned to my uncle I wanted a revolver, and he hooked me up with a .357 M66 4 inch. All heavy, but im itchin to shoot it.
This may be a little off topic, but you fired a warning shot?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Not only are you new to the 357mag, from this comment, i'd say you're new to guns & the laws that apply to them.
I'm not sure about Indiana but here in KY, that warning shot is a criminal act. maybe more than one if other people were nearby (wanton endangerment comes to mind).
I suggest to thoroughly educate yourself not only with the firearms that interest you but with the laws of your state before you lose your right to own/carry a firearm.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts