Defensive Carry banner

.357 Magnum Corbon DPX Tests Coming Soon...

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Stephen A. Camp 
#1 ·
Hello. I got my hands on some of the new Corbon DPX ammunition in .357 magnum. Without letting any cats out of any bags, I've already noticed a couple of things that seem very encouraging.

Here is a disassembled cartridge. The unknown powder weighs in at 7.8 grains and the bullet weighed 125.1 grains.

I'll see what it does with regards to expansion, accuracy, felt recoil and other areas of concern for ammunition intended to be used in the serious business of self-defense.

Best.

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm also looking forward to your impressions. Looking for something for the SP101.

#5 ·
Hello and thank you all. IF I can, I will do the stuff in a 2 1/2" snub, 3", and 4" revolvers. One of the things I will do is to compare where it hits compared to other ammunition. My stock of .357 Magnum is not nearly so varied as my 9mm and .45 ACP so you may have to do some interpolation if your load is not mentioned.

Best.

#6 ·
Steve - great! Look fwd very much to your impressions.

7.8 grains for a mag load sounds very small as charges go - heck I load 14 grains of N-110 for that which is not max'd out either - and with a 158 too! :eek:

I can only think they are using as fast a powder as they dare here - to push that 125 pill at considerable speed.

Thx for keeping us in mind here with all your tests and data - it is invaluable to so many.

#7 ·
Hello. I'm told that they are trying to make a load that will reliably expand after all of the usual barrier tests w/10% ballistic gelatin, not be too hard to control, and still get 12"+ penetration. As I understand it, cranking up the velocity simply increases the penetration to depths that bother some folks.

We'll see.

Best.

#8 ·
I see where you are coming from Steve re penetration but wonder too if in fact the bullet expansion is particularly intense. If it were then penetration will be given up in favor of bullet deformation.

Mind you - that bullet in pic' seems to have no ''pre-stress'' grooves and so not at all sure how it might blossom. I guess you'll find out eh! :wink:

#9 ·
Hello. In a past conversation with Mr. Mike Shovel of Corbon, I seem to recall that the bullets are actually pre-stressed or skived somehow but inside the hollow cavity. Also, being a copper alloy, the bullet is longer than most in that weight. How far down the bullet expands is limited as well so that it still have some length to better penetrate than the bullet that is simulating a pancake in its expansion characteristics. I cannot prove it, but I suspect that the small openings between the petals might allow for a bit more penetration as there's less "parachute" effect.

Anyway, we'll see. The one thing that seems to be holding true for the DPX is that the bullet will almost always expand, regardless of what it encounters on the way to the "soft target". I've not tried it, but it is supposed to be particularly good after penetrating laminated automobile windshields.

Best.

#13 ·
They may be using Alliant Power Pistol Powder. I use about 9.5gn for a 140.gn Hornady XTP. I have'nt clocked it so I don't know how fast it runs , it is a very accrate load for my.357 Ruger. I does put out quite a bit of muzzle flash though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.