Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some questions about the desert eagle pistol chambered in .357 magnum. I've heard that you to use full power 158gr .357's to reliably cycle the gun's action is this true? Is it also true that the gun will only feed FMJ .357 magnum ammo,what about jacketed hp's if they are full power loads? anything else you guys can tell me about this gun would be great as well,thanks.

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
The DE has a pretty stiff spring and the 158's are what the factory reccomends.

Some HP's will work and some wont. If the HP is a really open design, it will have a tendency to wedge itself on the feed ramp. If it a fairly closed design like the standard Remington HP it'll probably work.

Like any other gun, some ammo will work and some wont. One just has to experiment to see what the gun likes to feed and shoot.

Some 125's and some 145's will work and cycle.
You only want to use jacketed bullets because lead will eventually gum up the gas port.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Stick with jacketed 158's (HP's, semi, full. etc...) and you'll be fine. I've had the Mark VII DE since it came out and never had a jam. The DE in .357 is a fine gun and will even take medium sized deer at a reasonable range.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
+1 on the .44 go big or go hiome.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As a 357 DE owner I can say that the higher powered loads are a must. Hollow points will work but not as reliably as FMJ.

Keeping the thing cycling properly is an ongoing process it seems. Mine is a MK1 so it could probably use some in depth cleaning that I am not capable of.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
I bought the DE 44 mag pistol and the .357 conversion kit back when they first came out. They both require full power loads to operate. It would be nice if different weight springs were available for them.

Michael

1 - 8 of 8 Posts