Defensive Carry banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I be concerned with over penetration if I use 158gr jacketed softpoint instead of the standard hollowpoint?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
IMO tank, no - as a SP should deform sufficient to gain some limited expansion tho perhaps not to the degree we'd expect from an HP.

Circumstances will as ever alter results - clothing, distances, angles etc. I'd expect over penetration possibilities from HP's in some situations. I do also like LHP SWC's in 158 for SD but have not found any factory loads as yet.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Placement is everything in overpenetration.

Even a .45 ACP, not known for its depth, speed, or flying through schools, will pop in one side and out the other if you do a COM hit in the upper shoulder or collarbone area of many folks from what I've gathered reading police reports and the academic journal for the coroner dudes.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Yes, Soft point .357 will give almost no expansion, and over penetration is a definite hazard in soft tissue, if no major bones are impacted.

Fine for game where it is desirable to have both entrance and exit wounds...not so good when you own the bullet on the street, and everything it touches.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
if you are worried about over penetration, check out the loads made specificlly for LE/ CCW. The rounds are designed for less over penetration and better performance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts