Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend at the range I was packing up after going through WAY too much ammo and noticed that somehow an intact .357 SIG round was in my bucket of 22LR. I do not own any Sigs (unfortunately) and nothing else chambered in that so I knew it wasn't mine. Everyone had already left so I just decided to keep this lucky round!

I've always been curious of this cartridge. I don't hear much about people carrying it or using it for defense. I rarely even see people ask for it. Now I know Sig Sauer has a great reputation so I wonder why that cartridge isn't more popular.

So I come to the forums here to ask the hive mind! Do you have a .357 SIG gun? Is there a particular reason you stand by it, or maybe a reason you avoid it?

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
I don't own anything chambered in .357 Sig and have never shot it. Everything I have heard about it, is it is a fine defensive cartridge that comes close in ballistics to the .357 Magnum. IIRC it was derived by necking down the .40 S&W casing. Carries a lighter bullet than the .40 for greater Muzzle Velocity and energy. I also understand that like the .40 it is quite snappy on the recoil.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
.357SIG is just a 9mm Magnum. Ballistics are superior to the 9mm and I like the flat shooting trajectory and I find the recoil to be
more gentle than the .40SW (depends on the load). Be advised that it is a very loud report.....you will know when you are shooting
next to someone shooting this round at an indoor range. When I'm not carrying my Glock 19, I'm ususally carrying my Glock 32. IMO, the
Glock 32 is the perfect platform for the .357SIG. Light, powerful, and 13+1 ammo capacity.

I don't own a SIG SAUER handgun, but own 5 pistols chambered in .357SIG....all Glocks.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
If .357SIG were no more expensive than 9mm and if .357SIG were just as popularly supported from the manufacturers as 9mm, then I'd have started with .357SIG from the get-go and not looked back. Absolutely.

Fine cartridge. By all accounts, exceptionally reliable, roughly .357mag performance, a bit less capacity than 9mm. In the right gun, it's controllable and effective. Hard not to like it, assuming one is comfortable with the recoil/balance characteristics in a given gun.

The Glock 32 and 33, the H&K P2000 and P2000SK in .357SIG ... all good choices. Hard to beat, IMO.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
First off, it is not just a "necked down.40". Yes, it is true that it is 9x21mm versus 10x21mm, but it isn't that simple (handloaders here can fill in the specifics on that). I recently bought an HKP2000SK in .357 and love it, I plan to get a 357 barrel for my HD M&P full size when I can find one also. I really enjoy shooting it, it has recoil in between 9mm and .40, flies fast and is EXTREMELY loud for a handgun caliber. Trust me, if you're on a range with a bunch of people shooting more common calibers and you start shooting this round, they're going to notice! Also, in the dark you can get a basketball sized fireball out of some loads.

An interesting observation about LE users that prefer the 357, many are state police / highway patrols that traditionally used .357 magnum revolvers and like the .357 Sig for it's performance against auto glass and metal in the real world. This is an area that the mighty .45 is known to fall short on.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the longest time I wanted a Sig P226 in 357 SIG, even before I bought my first handgun. Now I'm torn between it chambered in 9mm or 357. I have my M9 and plan on getting a compact version of the 92FS because (as the name would suggest), I'm a sucker for Berettas. I think I may go with the latter just to mix it up a little, and I do plan to make the P226 my EDC when I get one.

·
Super Moderator
18,492 Posts
Another .355 bore auto-pistol cartridge that is everything the 9mm is cracked up to be ... but isn't.

Reactions: e4dan and G-man*

·
Banned
89 Posts
First off, it is not just a "necked down.40". Yes, it is true that it is 9x21mm versus 10x21mm, but it isn't that simple (handloaders here can fill in the specifics on that). I recently bought an HKP2000SK in .357 and love it, I plan to get a 357 barrel for my HD M&P full size when I can find one also. I really enjoy shooting it, it has recoil in between 9mm and .40, flies fast and is EXTREMELY loud for a handgun caliber. Trust me, if you're on a range with a bunch of people shooting more common calibers and you start shooting this round, they're going to notice! Also, in the dark you can get a basketball sized fireball out of some loads.

An interesting observation about LE users that prefer the 357, many are state police / highway patrols that traditionally used .357 magnum revolvers and like the .357 Sig for it's performance against auto glass and metal in the real world. This is an area that the mighty .45 is known to fall short on.
I have been reloading this cartridge for years and while a great round it has it's issues. It IS for all intents and purposes a necked down .40...the technicality is they played with brass length to make it fit .40 magazines and frames which means that necking down a piece of .40 brass will not yield a .357 sig cartridge, but that's actually where they started.

Reactions: onacoma

·
Registered
37,013 Posts
I was shooting next to a couple of older guys who were shooting .357 Sigs made from .40 cases. They were both engineers and showed me how the .40 cases resulted in a slightly shorter neck than a commercial .357 case, but both said it was a non-issue, at least for them. I've shot my son's .357 and it is peppier than my .45 ACP, but I didn't think it was any worse than a .40 and easily manageable with a little familarization. As for louder, I couldn't tell under a set of foam plugs and headset.

I find the lack of bullet choices in .357 Sig the biggest downside.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I carry a Glock 31 in 357 Sig often as a concealed handgun, and carried one on duty for about a year as a cop before changing departments. Its performance against barriers is truly impressive, and the kinetic energy it developes is flat out awesome. As stated before it is a very flat shooting cartridge and is very accurate out of such guns like the Glock 31. Penetration in soft tissue (depending upon the load you use) is really good and its energy allows it to perform well even if a bone strike occurs. A LE shooting I heard of recently with the 357 Sig showed the rounds potential. The officer fired a single round through the door of a vehicle where an armed assailant was. The load fired was a Speer Gold Dot 125 grain Bonded JHP, which penetrated the door and into the leg of the bad guy. The BG dropped his gun and immediately surrendered. At the hospital the surgeon reported the femur bone had been completely broken EVEN THOUGH THE ROUND DID NOT MAKE CONTACT WITH THE FEMUR. The energy of the round had broken the bone completely in half. One of the first shootings in Tennessee involving the 357 Sig occured at a distance of 60 yards, and the round impacted the suspect in the upper arm, traveled width wise through the torso, and stopped about an inch or so past the heart after tearing through it.

It's a great little round.....

Reactions: MJB_17 and ccw9mm

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I don't see a personal value of adding the .357SIG to my collection. (Not any time soon anyways.) I have a 9mm when I want capacity, and I have .45ACP when I want size. I feel confident that a 9mm JHP will stop any potential threat I might encounter, 2 or 4 legged.

This is all personal opinion and applies to me. I'm not knocking the round, and if it was as cheap and available as 9mm (in 'normal' times at least) then I would have considered it as well. For now it's just too far down my 'gonna buy soon' list.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I find the lack of bullet choices in .357 Sig the biggest downside.
Speer 125gr Gold Dot, Winchester 125gr T-series & Bonded as well as DoubleTap's 147gr what more do you need for self defense?

Now if we're whitetail and Elk hunting that's a difference story!

Reactions: GhostMaker

·
Registered
433 Posts
I carry a glock 32 concealed everyday. It was my first handgun purchase years ago and I still carry it. Extremely accurate and as mentioned the ballistics are something to be desired. The only downside is in general if your in a face to face confrontation it may over penetrate. As stated above it has gone through car doors and still caused a significant amount of damage. But one of the rules of self defense shooting is know whats beyond your target. I picked up a .40 barrel for my glock so I can practice shooting with it as .357sig is pretty expensive when it comes to handgun calibers.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Speer 125gr Gold Dot, Winchester 125gr T-series & Bonded as well as DoubleTap's 147gr what more do you need for self defense?

Now if we're whitetail and Elk hunting that's a difference story!
I agree, and like those choices. DoubleTap also makes a 115 grain and 125 grain bonded loads that are HOT.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I agree, and like those choices. DoubleTap also makes a 115 grain and 125 grain bonded loads that are HOT.
The 115 gr is a little light for me. The difference in cost from DT to Speer/Winchester in the 125 gr IMO does not provide value! The 147gr is worth the cost! JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: GhostMaker

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
my carry load in all my Glock .357's:

heavy and fast....best of both worlds. Note the expected velocity at 100 yards is the same as most 9mm's at the muzzle. That's smokin'.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't think .357 sig makes a lot of sense unless you reload. Trying to buy a .357 sig ammo is almost impossible at most normal outlets like Walmart. Gun stores tend to have it but get ready to get out your wallet.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I don't think .357 sig makes a lot of sense unless you reload. Trying to buy a .357 sig ammo is almost impossible at most normal outlets like Walmart. Gun stores tend to have it but get ready to get out your wallet.
Up until December last year I could get it from my preferred ammo supplier: SGAmmo.com The difference in cost from 40 S&W to the .357 Sig was ± 2 to 4% based on last years invoices for either Lawman or Gold Dot/T-Series. Lucky I was able to buy bulk as I was planning for retirement, kinda like a Ammo 5 year savings plan.

Of course with today's market who knows when I'll be able to replace my training ammo? Looks like more time at the reloading bench!

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
.357SIG is just a 9mm Magnum. Ballistics are superior to the 9mm and I like the flat shooting trajectory and
It's quite a bit more than that. I did a review of the SIG P250 a while back that is chambered for this cartridge, so I did a history of the round. It was developed to produce semi-auto ballistics equivalent to the .357 magnum and it does that rather well with a comparable 125-grain bullet.

It is a real sizzler, and a fight stopper. I'd say the .38 Super is the "9mm mag" and the .357 SIG is something else for sure.

The necked cartridge makes it easy to reload, and the downrange stopping power is impressive. I haven't seen any post-mortem images of wound damage from this round, but I suspect it rivals the Magnum, which I have seen, and not just images.

As you note, it is a comfortable round to shoot in the right gun. Recoil is easily manageable.

Accurate, too!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts