Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen this posted before but never had a problem myself.

I had a new (never been fired) ruger that when taken to the range, would not allow the cylinder to close when filled with 357 rounds.
I could "seat" them properly with some individual effort to each round and get the cylinder shut but, did not fire any for fear of getting them stuck.
Before I brought the gun out, I cleaned it properly, even used a brass brush in the cylinder.
Is there something wrong here?

I've read shooting 38sp w/out cleaning can cause build up to not allow 357 to fit properly.
In this instance, I cleaned what was a new revolver, and they wouldn't fit.

I was attempting to use PMC ammo. I did try 3 different boxes. So I'm guessing it was not bad or out of spec ammo.

I did end up shooting 38sp through it with no problems closing the cylinder.

Can someone give me some advice?

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
Are you sure that you have a .357 mag revolver?

Can you post any pictures?

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Are you sure that you have a .357 mag revolver?

Can you post any pictures?
Yep....pictures would help. Ruger made a GP100 in 38Spl only, and I just saw one a few weeks ago from a run Ruger did (adjustable sights, 3" barrel).

Reactions: bigmacque

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a gp100. Definitely 357.

Another detail, I repeatedly checked under the extractor. There was no dirt/dust or excessive oil.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Have you tried any other brand of 357 rounds in it? It is possible that you got a bad run. If you can't get any magnum ammo to work in it you might want to contact Ruger. They have EXCELLENT customer service and would likely have you send it to them for work, if you could part with it for a while.

Reactions: Sky Pilot

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have some Winchester and Fiocchi I found online on the way.

I did get the PMC at different places but, maybe it just doesn't like my gun.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I would still try another brand of factory ammo first if your three boxes are all PMC.
Yep if the cases are out of spec could be the problem,IMHO even if you have to force the cases in to close the cylinder it's not gonna blow your gun up since when you fire a round the case wil expand to the cylinder dimensions anyway

·
Registered
66 Posts
If there's a 38 special ring in the cylinder (in a new gun??) scrubbing with a brush won't always remove the ring. Sometimes this requires scraping with a brass instrument like an empty 357 casing. It's worth checking on.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Please make sure that it says .357 on it.

·
Registered
36,913 Posts
I used to shoot many .38s in my .357 Blackhawk and even the most casual cleaning never left any ring that made loading .357s difficult. Something is amiss.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Are you sure the cases aren't 357 Max rather than 357 Mag. If the rounds will not chamber and the cylinder is clean I would guess the brass is to long or the cylinder is out of spec.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Need pictures to diagnose.

Overall spec length for 357 mag is 1.59 inches, use calipers on your ammo.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Interesting!!
I have a Ruger GP 100 (Yes 357 Magnum right on the barrel) that I've had the same problem with.
Mine was a used gun that I suspect had mostly 38 run through it.
I ran a bore snake into the cylinder and managed to get it to accept the 357.
I still hesitate shooting the 357 though because I'm wondering if they will in fact go through.
I will be going through it again with a proper cleaning but found this post kind of deja vu.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
It quite possibly could be a frankenstien. I've seen it with Smiths before. The 357 cylinder may have been replaced with a .38 spl one, or the .38 spl barrel may have been replaced with a .357 one. Also it could hav ebeen an oversight from the factory. Either way from your description it seems to be a .38 spl cylinder.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Regardless of what or why, I'd contact Ruger. My Ruger 357s the rounds easily slide into place and the cylinders close with ease. Something is definitely out of spec with either the gun or ammo. I could understand a rogue round out of a box, or maybe even a rogue box. But 3 different boxes bought at different places at different times is highly unlikely to all be out of spec. It would be worth trying a different brand of ammo, but I'm suspecting it's the gun.

·
Premium Member
6,200 Posts
...Overall spec length for 357 mag is 1.59 inches, use calipers on your ammo.
It's the case length that restricts a .38 from accepting a .357 round, not OAL. A round that's too long OA might not allow the cylinder to close, but would still fit into the cylinder as long as the case is the right length.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm going to give ruger a call tomorrow.
The 357 slide easily into my smith 19.
I recleaned and scrubbed, still no go.
I do see a ring inside the cylinders though.
Seems like a good cleaning would take it away. I used hoppes #9 and corrosionX with a brass brush.
Should I be cleaning with something else?

Not that you can see the problem that well, here's a couple pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I had a new (never been fired) ruger that when taken to the range, would not allow the cylinder to close when filled with 357 rounds. I could "seat" them properly with some individual effort to each round and get the cylinder shut but, did not fire any for fear of getting them stuck.
The 357 slide easily into my smith 19.
I recleaned and scrubbed, still no go.
I do see a ring inside the cylinders though.
Does the issue occur across all different types of .357mag ammo you try (different brand/model of ammo)?

If it does work with all ammo except the box/lot you tried, it's entirely likely just an ammo issue. Not all that common, but many of us have experienced some instances of this over the decades.

If it fails to work with all .357 ammo (different brand/model of ammo), likely the cylinder chambers are slightly out of spec. Wouldn't surprise me if Ruger would want to do a simple "fluff & buff" (smoothing) of the chambers, to correct it. As some folks have indicated the GP100 has had .38-only examples made in the past, it's possible (however unlikely) that a newly-minted GP100 could have one of these .38-only cylinders.

But, definitely see what Ruger has to say. If you do send the GP100 to them, I'd also suggest sending a handful of the offending ammo lot, so they have examples of the rounds for testing (as it's very possible that the ammo they would try won't exhibit the same issue).

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts