1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2/ 158 lswc handloads @ 850
2/110 Hornady Critical Defense @ 1010 fps
2/ 110 XTP handloads at 1100 fps

Fired from 10 yards, double action from the M64.
Just curious about any POI changes between the 3 loads. Seems like from 10 yards they are pretty much the same.

Flyer was me of course.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Love my mdl 10 like your 64 it doesn’t really matter what goes in the cylinder

·
Registered
20,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same target fired with the snub M60 at 10 yards.
The advantages of a longer sight radius are obvious.

·
Registered
20,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I noticed out of my LCR357 the 110 FTX load was basically hitting in the same area as 158gr LSWC a couple of years ago , after a few rounds in paper plate , I was just plinking in the backyard .. I was surprised…

·
Registered
7,184 Posts
One of the reasons I like the revolver over a pocket auto is I can very the ammo power level without any problems in gun function. I practice with a 148 gr WC that is going at [ the book speed of] 600 fps. My carry load has that same bullet going [ book speed of] 940 fps. At 10 yards and less they both share the same POI! At 20 yds they are still close. Out of the short barrel those speeds are most likely 100 fps less. DR

·
Registered
15,152 Posts
Sort of! The shorter sight radius magnifies any mistake in your fundamentals! Good shooting by the way! DR
It makes a difference going from a 4" revolver with a 6" radius to a rifle with say a 24" sight radius. But it really does not matter much going from a 4" radius to a 6" radius.

·
Registered
7,184 Posts
It makes a difference going from a 4" revolver with a 6" radius to a rifle with say a 24" sight radius. But it really does not matter much going from a 4" radius to a 6" radius.
If I had a gun with a 3" sight radius and one with a 6"sight radius [ easier math] . and aimed both with a 1/16" sighting error, the shorter 3" gun would hit the target exactly twice the error of the 6" gun.
So if our imaginary 1/16" error had the 6" gun hitting 1" off POI the 3" gun with the same error would be off by 2". And because we are talking about angles the more distant the target the farther off target we would be.
But where you would be right is if there is no aiming error the 6" and 3" guns would hit the same poi.[ at least until you start adding in velocity loss from the shorter barrel.]
The trouble for me is I very rarely can fire a shot off hand with no error! And a smaller gun magnifies that. The good part is the better I get with a small gun, makes it that much easier to shoot a bigger gun![ My fundamentals are getting better!] DR

·
Registered
43,531 Posts
My only experience with barrel length accuracy is from the two Blackhawks I owned, a .357 Mag with a 4-5/8" barrel and a .41 Mag with a 6-1/2" barrel. I never could seem to hit squat with the .357 but shot the .41 Mag very well. Caliber difference or barrel sighting distance difference? I don't know, but me and the .357 just did not play well together.

Reactions: G-man*

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
i give up sight radius for concealment.....

but i still practice at distance just in case.
Short radius makes it a challenge and slows me down a tad at distance....but doable.

i basicly run my service revolver qual course with the snub......from 3, 7, 15, and 25 yards. If i could not pass the course 80% with the snub, then i would not carry it.....passing grade is 80% set by my former SO.

i give up that much for the snub.......service revolver i can do much better.....

·
Registered
20,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don’t think there is any question that a shorter sight radius magnifies shooter error, and all human shooters have error.
Hence, it is commonly knowledge that a longer sight radius allows for more consistent accuracy than a short barrel.

The thing we must remember is the difference between mechanical accuracy and human potential.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts