Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
Outstanding video.....good tips for CHL people....you might have to move to survive.....most agencies the officers do not move and they shoot a standard PPC and this can cause you to freeze up when spam hits the fan.....thanks for this post....Paul
That is because a qualification is not training. It is to ensure that you meet MINIMUM standards.

·
Super Moderator
18,259 Posts
I'd given him even more for Super .38 :tongue: :wink:
I was hopin' I'd get a snide remark from you about the order of my caliber nomenclature.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Howard, this is another great video and as you noted, the course was very interesting in its approach compared to the others so far. The course of fire would be an interesting one to discuss at a national training officers conference to see other state's positions and I think could result in some lively "debate". As you noted, philosophical different approach, and as @Bad Bob pointed out, some training versus qualification differences in approach. Personally, I believe that if I were administering this stage of the qualification and depending upon the range set up, I would have only one candidate at a time versus multiple shooters on the line.

·
Registered
33,966 Posts
My thoughts (Yes, sometimes I do actually think first):

This course appears to be "You'd better not miss!" based, something NYPD clearly couldn't use. One miss and you're done. Rather than accumulate various points, it uses an a-hit-is-a-hit approach in a more realistic scenario than the standard stand-there-and-aim approach.

Ideally, all LEOs would be pistol marksmen, but we know that ain't so. I like this qualification, but it may not be best overall.

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
Nice job, and who wouldn't enjoy time behind a Super .38.

Once you get behind a Super, there is no return. Wicked Felina sings it.

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
I was hopin' I'd get a snide remark from you about the order of my caliber nomenclature.
Either way is a good way to describe that hot little taco shooter.

Reactions: bmcgilvray and OD*

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Once you get behind a Super, there is no return. Wicked Felina sings it.
I love the "El Paso" reference!

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back here. Oddly, I was on the range all day yesterday conducting firearms qualifications for my department. Something I've been giving some thought to is this whole business about firearm qualifications utilized as a test of minimum standards rather than training. I think at this point I'm ready to say I disagree with that logic. Firearm qualifications are (or should be) an evaluation of certain critical skills an officer must develop and maintain throughout a career to hopefully increase that officer's chances of employing their firearm efficiently, effectively, and professionally in a lethal force encounter. Human nature being what it is, people have a tendency to "train to the test." The more critical skills that are evaluated during the qualification and the higher the standard for qualification, the more officers are compelled to develop and maintain those skills. When the courses are watered down to a "minimum standard", many (if not most) officers are going to do just enough to make sure they squeak by on qualification day and that minimum standard will define their firearm proficiency for the remainder of their career. Worse yet, an officer who successfully qualifies may well believe (as may his/her department) that he or she has attained the requisite degree of firearm prowess to sustain them for the duration of their career. I think we firearms instructors (not to mention many administrators, state officials, academy commanders, etc.) are doing our officers, and by extension our citizens, a disservice by drinking the minimum standard cool aid.

OK, I'll get off my soap box now. Thanks for all the great comments everyone!

Howard

1 - 18 of 18 Posts