Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think would be a better man stopper? The .38spl+p from a 2", or a .380 from a Walther style handgun?

Heres another question for the .380.
Would I be better off using ball or, hp?
I thought ball might be better cause it penetrates more than HP, without over penetration.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
round for round i feel that 38sp +p would be the better stopper, that being said I will still carry my walther ppks over any snub revolver because i am both more accurate and faster shooting with it . Reloads are a lot simpler with auto , and i carry ball ammo in it . i look at it as a mousegun that works because of the accuracy , a fiew shots in the face will buy time to leave the area , i wouldnt consider it a decisive stopper tho as far as killing trama goes. personaly i would say pickup a subcompact 9mm and stoke it with +p or +p+ and you will be better off

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
personally i would say pickup a subcompact 9mm and stoke it with +p or +p+ and you will be better off
Oh yeah a 9mm is way better, no doubt. I was just curious about the .38 vs .380. I realize that neither is a real manstopper.

·
Administrator
143,593 Posts
What do you think would be a better man stopper?

Neither....so pick one or the other. :yup:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Ahhh - the calibers :18:

I would elect to have 38+P over .380 but - I have to ''defend'' .380 just a bit because it's all wife has right now - her choice! I leave her loaded with just std 95 FMJ's - feeling that it is unlikely with this load that HP's will do too much that is more useful - particularly where clothing gets in the way.

But as usual we have to mention shot placment - meaning that say, 2 well placed .380's could very easily outdo 2 badly placed 38 +P's. We have to remember that the .380 (9x17) is really just a pipsqueek 9mm - it cannot really be any more.

Add to that a +P 38 delivering a 158 - well - to some extent - no contest!! :wink:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Hoorah for Mr Camp - I remember now that info - more than well worth a peek.

Thx Steve.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I have both. a colt mustang and a taurus 85 ultralight, and I like both.
At the moment in the .38, I have corbons in her. (can't exactly remember what grain...).
The .380 is stuffed with a 6 stack of Federal 90 GR. hydra-shoks.
I thought of alternate rounds of a hydro-shok, then a 95 GR. FMJ.
What you guys think of that ?

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Artz i really dont think it matters much , expantion may well be dicey with a .380 , that is why i just went with ball and would only consider it an egress or bob ( back off bi*ch ) option , it will serve but it isnt optimal . i have carried it as primairy on many occations due to convience of the pistol , not because i considered it a good stopper , that being said it beats hell outa a stern look and harsh words.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Redneck Repairs said:
i have carried it as primairy on many occations due to convience of the pistol , not because i considered it a good stopper , that being said it beats hell outa a stern look and harsh words.
amen....thats the reason mousguns exist, convience...

·
Registered
354 Posts
i carry a 38 snubbie, and it certainly seems adequate to me. one problem with these sorts of discussions is that no one would select such a gun to go to a battle with, of course. so i suppose it would depend on just what you think you are up against. as an offensive weapon, no 380 or 38 is going to be selected.but for the last line of defense, both seem adequate at 10 feet.
and.. revolvers are way cooler than semiautos....:wink:
God Bless.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I dont remember where i hear it, but a man once said, "I would rather be shot in the leg with a .45acp, than a .22lr in the head." I have always believed that if you have a gun, no matter what caliber, you are better off than the guy without a gun. Just my .02.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
chiefs-special-guy said:
no 380 or 38 is going to be selected.but for the last line of defense, both seem adequate at 10 feet.
knowing that I had time to prepare for a battle, I would have a 12 ga. shotgun and a small hi-capacity carbine, but as for portability in the last line of defense the .38 or .380 should just be fine... I say this knowing that I have never been in a gunfight. :gah:

·
Registered
336 Posts
in my youth growing up in S.Calif. I knew a man who was a fed. l.e.o.He was once shot in the head by a drug smugglling b.g . The b.g.was armed with a little .380 pistol. The force of the impact to his head nor the wound did not stop him as he was able to draw his duty weapon and return fire, killing the suspect instantly. My l.e.o. friend was armed with a 2''Colt python.357 loaded with .38Sp. ammo made by Hi-Vel,Any one remember them?The .380 bullet he was struck with was a FMJ. and all it did was knock a big nasty gash in his head. Ny friend went to the hospital and the b.g went to the L.A. county mourge. This happened back in the 70's. Flash foreward to the mid90"s .I am working for the Tx dept of Corrections and my partner his a N.D. with hisB.U.G. it is a .380 Bersa loaded with PMC Starfireammo. This round penetrated his living room wall, the outside wall, composed of cinder block, and proceeded to blow out the lt front tire on his pick-up truck. I guess what i am trying to say is that if your"mouse gun " is fed right it can bite as hard as a big old nasty sewer rat.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I'll take a .38 sp over the 9mm Kurtz anyday. The 380 is a viable option to a stern look and harsh words as somebody further up the thread mentions, but so is a .22LR and some decent shot placement. I used to have a Beretta M84 in 380 (it was the wife's 1st gun) until my wife demanded I get rid of it and giver her MY 45 Government model! That was not gonna happen so I sold the M84 and got her a 45 Commander and it's good ever since.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Definately the .38 there are some really hot +P stuff avilable. The .380 while a nice carry gun just is not very hot even in +P.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
paknheat said:
made by Hi-Vel,Any one remember them?
I think you're referring to Super-Vel and I have about 500 rds of 45ACP in Super-Vel with the Speer 200 gr "Flying Ashtray" bullets.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts