Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching the internet for information about 380 defensive ammo and came across the below statement, just curious what others think:
"The three or four best .380 JHP rounds have better stopping power than ANY bullet fired out of 2" barrel .38 Special snub-nose. (Federal 90 gr. Hydra-shok, Cor-Bon 90 gr. JHP, Remington 102 gr. Golden Saber BJHP and CCI-Speer 90 gr. Gold Dot JHP).

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
I'd find another source of information.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
round for round there is no .380 auto round that matches the energy in a .38. If you want to compare 3 or 4 rounds of .380 to a single .38 round then we can talk. Not sure if that's what the author is getting at above...I still carry a .380 at times, and it can do it's job if I do mine, but the one time I had to draw a weapon and was half a heartbeat away from firing...well, I don't have words that accurately describe how relieved I was to have my XD in my hand.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am a believer in that most of the time .380 is a better choice over .38 especially if you are comparing the 2inch .38 Special.

The .380 is coming from a slighly longer barrel at a faster speed giving you better penetration.

You can look at geleatin test results below and make up your own mind.

For .380
.380ACP

For .38 Special
.38 Special

·
Registered
246 Posts
round for round there is no .380 auto round that matches the energy in a .38. If you want to compare 3 or 4 rounds of .380 to a single .38 round then we can talk. Not sure if that's what the author is getting at above...I still carry a .380 at times, and it can do it's job if I do mine, but the one time I had to draw a weapon and was half a heartbeat away from firing...well, I don't have words that accurately describe how relieved I was to have my XD in my hand.
The .380 is a tried an true round. It was carried by German officers during World War II, utilized by the German police, and still used by police forces around the world.

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
The .380 is a tried an true round. It was carried by German officers during World War II
And they lost. :rofl:

BTW, I occasionally carry a .380 so don't flame me. My EDC is a snubby .357 loaded with 135gr GoldDot ammo for short barrels. I'd stack those up against any.380.

·
Registered
92 Posts
that article was written by "Anonymous"
with no data to back up that statement
mathamaticlly--weight of bullet x speed of bullet = power
I don't see a 90gr .380 bullet having more power than a 158 gr +p 38 sp bullet
if someone have some data showing something different, please post

·
Registered
246 Posts
And they lost. :rofl:

BTW, I occasionally carry a .380 so don't flame me. My EDC is a snubby .357 loaded with 135gr GoldDot ammo for short barrels. I'd stack those up against any.380.
Actually if you look at this web site you will see that your snubby magnum is not doing much better in velocity than a standard size .380

Ballistics by the inch - .357 magnum

Ballistics by the inch - .380 ACP

·
Registered
246 Posts
that article was written by "Anonymous"
with no data to back up that statement
mathamaticlly--weight of bullet x speed of bullet = power
I don't see a 90gr .380 bullet having more power than a 158 gr +p 38 sp bullet
if someone have some data showing something different, please post

When comparing the two in a 4 inch barrel that would be correct. But the original post descibed a .38 special snubnose.

Anytime you reduce the barrel length on a Magnum or +P you lose a lot of velocity. So a 2 inch .38 special (+P or not) will be matched or out performed by a .380 3 1/2 inch barrel.

The Corbon 90gr. .380 ACP reachs speeds around 1020fps.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just remember that "one shot stop" data has way too many variables to be completely accurate, but it can you an idea of performance.

With that said, we can probably all agree that either the .380 or the .38 special will perform equally as well. So it comes down to auto vs. revolver and your personal choice of ammo.

·
Registered
92 Posts
the origional post by Seapro210 talks about stopping power, it states the .380 JHP has better stopping power than ANY 38 sp round fired from 2" barrel
I want to let everyone know that is not a true statment, knowing the truth may save
someone's life.

·
Super Moderator
18,889 Posts
"The three or four best .380 JHP rounds have better stopping power than ANY bullet fired out of 2" barrel .38 Special snub-nose. (Federal 90 gr. Hydra-shok, Cor-Bon 90 gr. JHP, Remington 102 gr. Golden Saber BJHP and CCI-Speer 90 gr. Gold Dot JHP)."

Nope!

It's interesting how such a blanket statement can be made on something so subjective. How do they know that these three or four .380 loads offer better stopping power than any .38 Special load? Did they do a controlled shoot of a few hundred people each for all of the rounds they are considering?

I can't agree that the .38 Special and the .380 perform equally well, even if the .38 Special is restricted to a two-inch barrel.

I like the most energetic +P 158 grain SWCs. The last time I chronographed any +P 158 grain stuff was in 1996 and it was the Winchester brand. It clocked 920 fps from a 2-inch Chief's Special. Supposedly current batches do less. One can always step up to Buffalo Bore's rendition of this 158 grain load or else use prepared hand loads for really good performance that no .380 is gonna touch.

No matter, I'll take the heavier weight and the sharp, full caliber shoulder that the lead +P 158 grain semi-wadcutter .38 Special round offers over any hokey, supposed "high performance" .380 load. One is guaranteed the diameter of the bullet as it exits the barrel. Any expansion is gravy and may, or may not occur. I don't choose to depend on expansion to be the trick that "does the job," rather preferring more bullet weight than many.

I shoot both the .380 ACP and the .38 Special cartridges and have observed their effects on varmints and critters. The .38 Special is more dependable with good hits. The two rounds aren't going to flip-flop and perform oppositely on a human assailant.

No reasonable handgun cartridge is truly a "stopper" against a human assailant when it comes down to it. One is depending on accurate bullet placement within a relatively small area in order to best achieve a "stop." Living organisms don't behave in a typical fashion when shot either. Similar hits will likely yield different results each time as well.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Buffalo Bore 100gr +p 380=280 FT.LB. :scruntiny:

·
Super Moderator
18,889 Posts
From their site.

Check out the below velocities that I fired from my personal revolvers. We believe that real world, stock, "over the counter" guns, give real world results, so we don't advertise velocities that are fired from long test barrels.

These 38SPL+P loads are generating low-end 357 magnum, ballistics. If you have an older or more fragile 38SPL, or if you are recoil sensitive, consider using our HVY Standard Pressure 38SPL ammunition. It is safe to be fired in any 38SPL revolver and it still packs much more punch than ordinary 38SPL ammo.

Item 20A: 158gr., very soft cast, semi wad cutter, (Keith) hollow cavity, with a gas check. This bullet will mushroom violently on impact and will penetrate roughly 14 inches in human flesh. Again, this bullet is gas checked and will not lead your barrel.

S&W mod. 60, 2 inch- 1040 fps (379 ft. lbs.)
S&W mod. 66, 2.5 inch- 1059 fps (393 ft. lbs.)
Ruger SP101, 3 inch- 1143 fps (458 ft. lbs.)
S&W Mt. Gun, 4 inch- 1162 fps (474 ft. lbs.)

Item 20B: 125gr. Jacketed Hollow Point. This is the Low velocity version designed to expand under 800 fps. It will mushroom violently and penetrate roughly 12 inches in human flesh.

a. S&W mod 60, 2 inch- 1072 fps (319 ft. lbs.)
b. S&W mod 66, 2.5 inch- 1108 fps (341 ft. lbs.)
c. Ruger SP101, 3 inch- 1180 fps (386 ft. lbs.)
d. S&W Mt. Gun, 4 inch- 1258 fps (439 ft. lbs.)

I have a couple boxes of these but haven't yet chronographed them in my guns. These velocities are likely realistic as they also attainable with judicious hand loading. Best yet, these are accomplished with a bullet of significantly more weight.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts