Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first I jumped on the .380 bandwagon as the flood of new micro pistols hit the market a few years ago. The excitement for the .380 pistols only lasted for a while, then the flood of micro-9mm's came right on their heels.

Which do I favor? Check out this latest blog post on The Bang Switch:

.380 or 9mm Pocket Carry? | The Bang Switch

AB3A1946 by MilitaryArmsChannel, on Flickr

·
Registered
117 Posts
I started with p238. It was very easy to conceal. Recently bought and use p938. Just as easy to conceal, and I do like 9mm.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I agree with you on the .380 vs. 9mm (Don't want to start a caliber war. There have been enough of those). But, will the great number of 9's on the market today, you only reviewed two. There are a lot of other good candidates out there. Once I decided 9mm was what I wanted, I tried a number of them at the range. I decided on the SCCY because of the way it fit my hand, the recoil and the reliability.

Reactions: GhostMaker

·
Registered
29 Posts
My EDC is a P232 in .380, as I'm pretty thin and it conceals well. Though I am looking at swapping it out for a Glock G26 if I can find one for a decent price. Only slightly larger, but the Glock offers 10+1 9mm instead of 7+1 .380.

However, I don't have any complaints about my 232 loaded up with 100gr Buffalo Bore hard casts...I wouldn't want to be shot with that. Ever.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
IMO the .380's are still the only ones that are truly great for pocket carry. Yes my Kahr CM9 works in that application, but my LCP is much better.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
IMO the .380's are still the only ones that are truly great for pocket carry. Yes my Kahr CM9 works in that application, but my LCP is much better.
I totally agree....My EDC is a glock-26 but my pocket also carry is the LCP...small, light, reliable and goes into any pocket.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
I'm inclined to go .380 for controllability. A 9mm round beats a .380, but two .380's beats a 9mm round, and is a lot faster and easier to do.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm inclined to go .380 for controllability. A 9mm round beats a .380, but two .380's beats a 9mm round, and is a lot faster and easier to do.
I haven't found the .380's to be any less prone to muzzle jump than the 9mm's. As a matter of fact, I've found a number of novice shooters who think the .380's are uncomfortable to shoot but don't mind shooting the Shield or XDs.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I really debated this for a long time, and I went with .380 (LCP). I wanted a 9... No, I wanted a .45, but my only choice there was an XDS (not a fan of grip safeties, and it was too big). Anyways, I wanted a 9, but even an LC9, and a Kahr (don't remember the model) were too big for some pockets. You can't argue ballistics on this, but with the small bit of difference in the "pocket 9's" and .380's, I felt like it would be so much easier to pocket carry with the .380. However, I also own a snub .357, and the only time the .380 goes in the pocket is when the .357 can't.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
With the advent of cargo pants & shorts some have no problem with hiding a g26 daily.

Doesn't get much better then that?

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
I haven't found the .380's to be any less prone to muzzle jump than the 9mm's. As a matter of fact, I've found a number of novice shooters who think the .380's are uncomfortable to shoot but don't mind shooting the Shield or XDs.
Well, yeah, but I wouldn't call those "pocket guns." Apples to apples - sig 238 vs 938, or lc380 vs lc9 - the .380 is more controllable.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Well, yeah, but I wouldn't call those "pocket guns." Apples to apples - sig 238 vs 938, or lc380 vs lc9 - the .380 is more controllable.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I agree with you on the .380 vs. 9mm (Don't want to start a caliber war. There have been enough of those). But, will the great number of 9's on the market today, you only reviewed two. There are a lot of other good candidates out there. Once I decided 9mm was what I wanted, I tried a number of them at the range. I decided on the SCCY because of the way it fit my hand, the recoil and the reliability.
I agree....and with manufacturers being able to scale down the 9mm to basically a .380 sized pistol it becomes a moot point in my opinion.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm fine with my LCP for pocket carry but unless I have the right pants and belt, my PM9 is too heavy. I also have zero issues with .380 as an effective self defense round. I'm not buying yet another gun so I can have a slightly smaller 9mm (that will be harder to shoot well over the LCP or the PM9). If one finds a small 9 that's the size and weight of the LCP and doesn't have a pocket pistol yet, then knock yourself out.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Actually replacing the lcp factory 9 pound recoil spring with a 13 pound there is very very little muzzle jump at all.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
The smallest 9mm I own is an M&P Shield 9mm, and even though it is extremely comfortable to carry, for me personally...it is still to big for pocket carry.

My only 380 is a Walther PPK and I can pocket carry it but only in cargo shorts. In regards to the recoil, I can definitely tell a difference between the two. The Shield...I could shoot a couple hundred rounds thru without feeling to much of an effect...however...the PPK is different. After 100 rounds, I'm ready to put that little sucker down, LOL.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I own both but no doubt the 9mm with good ammo like Hornady critical duty is DEVASTATING for a pocket weapon and utterly blows the doors off 380. Never the less the 380s tend to be a little smaller in size and perfect for ankle holsters and ladies but there's a huge difference in ballistics. Anyone that thinks either of these are hard to shoot or manage really needs to man up or practice more. My wife is tiny and she shoots like rambo with either one. if the Sig P938 9mm had been available when we bought the P238 380 we wouldn't own anything but the 9mm right now. Although the little 380 is easy to love and has literally never had a malfunction.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
As usual, enjoy the channel and the information. :hand10:

For me, I will never give up on the .380 ACP. IMO, it has proven its dependability many times over, so it comes down to comfort vs firepower. Sure the 9mm has more ump, but so does the .40 over the 9 and so on. IMO, when it comes to carrying a pistol all day everyday, nothing compares to the smaller .380 ACP offerings for the office environment, and that's where they shine, and always will. Said it before and will say it again. A sub caliber pistol in a trained hand is still a very deadly option. Are there better options, yup, but stepping outside the caliber question; the faster car doesn't always win the race. :wink:

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I have a .380 bodyguard that has never had a hiccup but I find if I am going to pocket carry I always grab the 642 loaded with buffalo bore. My summer special is always laying on my cargos so most of the time my SP or mod 60 gets the call.

·
Registered
11,232 Posts
In my experience, the lighter weight and smaller size of the .380s even over the smallest of the 9mm pistols makes a big difference in the pocket. This is especially true if you need to tuck your shirts in, which means you do not want the gun peeking out the pocket opening. The .380s ain't going anywhere.

On a side note, I'm a bit surprised to read you talking about "dumping energy into a body." Unless we are discussing rifles, don't even go there. :banghead:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts