Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start reloading .380 shortly and am looking for suggestions on powder. I was going to try to keep my powder count down but couldn't find a load using bullseye or aa #7 off their websites (could have missed it?). The guy who I buy my lead bullets from suggested win 231 using 3.2 gr since that is what he uses. It will be a 95gr round nose lead bullet. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
809 Posts
Years ago when I loaded for .380 I had good success with Hodgdon Universal. Its been long enough now that I don't remember the charge weight, but I was always very happy with it. I suspect 231 would work well, but I can't make any sort of comment on the charge weight you list.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats okay was just throwing out one already suggested. always nice to see what others use though. i have to wait for my "reloading guru" to get back and town and see what he uses. I figure after 30+ years of reloading and having done it commercially for quite a bit of years it behooves me to at least ask his opinion :)

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
i did some about a year ago and i used aa#5. worked well.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Speer #14 list a starting load of AA 7 of 6.3 and a max load of 7.0. Max load is compressed. This for 90g GDHP.
For 95g TMJ Rn starting load AA 7 of 5.9, max 6.5.
I have not tested this data, usat your own risk.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
AA7 95 grn bullet 5.9 to 6.5 grns,bullseye 2.0 to 3.4,data found at index

·
Registered
356 Posts
using 95gr Rainier RN, I use 3.1gr of Unique as a practice round. I also use Bullseye, but I'm currently working up the load.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
thanks for the suggestions. maybe i can keep my powder count down after all.
Good luck with that idea. :wave:

I currently have 13 powders on the shelf.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts

Same here, but I like trying out diiferent powders. There were some advantages to the good ole black powder days.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

yeah..thanks that makes me feel sooooo much better. I'm not huge on accuracy as long as it shoots down range and i can keep the shots on a paper plate i'm happy. I'll be adding more powders eventually since we're about to start .223 and I need to start 30-30 one day

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
yeah..thanks that makes me feel sooooo much better. I'm not huge on accuracy as long as it shoots down range and i can keep the shots on a paper plate i'm happy. I'll be adding more powders eventually since we're about to start .223 and I need to start 30-30 one day
AA-2230 is excellent for .223 (as you can imagine from the name) and I like H335 for .30-30.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Same here, but I like trying out diiferent powders. There were some advantages to the good ole black powder days.
Yea, all you needed was a couple of pounds of each grade and you could load everything!

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
TG, W231/HP38, or Unique.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I was using 2 powders,Unique for all my handgun loads,and Reloader #7 for 223 and .308,til the primer powder shortage,last year I bought 16 pounds of american select for handgun loads and H322 for rifle,I haven't got into any of those yet as I'm still using my other powders up.I will still only have 2 powders I'm actually using

1 - 17 of 17 Posts