Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for decent 38spl 158gr+p jhp instead of the 158gr LSWCHP(FBI/Chicago load)!
I don't like soft lead(keep less crud out of the barrel & cylinder). I'd rather have a semi-jacketed or JHP. I'd really like to see a Barnes X 158gr bullet loaded for a 38spl. Would love to see Corbon DPX in 158gr+P, but I know that won't happen. Even if Barnes offered a .357" bullet in 158gr(or close to it). 158gr is street proven and I haven't heard of any street results for the 110gr DPX(jello test is a little different from the human anatomy, but it can give us an idea).

Anyone know any good semi-jacketed 38spl 158gr(+P, perfered)? Not looking to much at expansion but towards penetration!

I'm using Speer 135gr+P right now!

·
Registered
742 Posts
The Barnes bullet would be nice in that weight---but not possible within SAAMI numbers, and most major players in the industry will not exceed SAAMI.

Any junk JHP will penetrate, but IMO expansion is needed in order to be fully effective. Difficult to do at 158gr, and stay with SAAMI numbers.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for your response! If any street reports come

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for your response! If any street reports come in, please let me know.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You might want to look at Speer 135 +P Gold Dot Short Barrel load. I switched from 158 SWC-HP to that and from my own testing its accurate and recoil is not bad out of my older Model 60 1 7/8" bbl. My other load I use is Cor-Bon +P 110 JHP when I can't get the Glod Dots.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Tony,
I might have to check out those 110gr DPX!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts