Defensive Carry banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DC friends,

I'm purchasing a Kahr P9 (9mm) in a week and wanted your take from experienced shooters regarding the 4" Barrel on bullet weight for CCW use.

The pistol is dedicated purely to CCW. I'm VERY fond of the Federal HST ammunition and with the 4" barrel wanted some insight regarding 124 grain vs. 147 grain.

I'm hoping the 147 grain will operate as designed with the 4" barrel as that is my king of carry loads.

I live in Western Oregon where we have a mild climate. Summers in the 80's are average and 40's as an average in Winter. Penetration thru multiple denims etc.. is not normal here. So lets not go on that tangent please.

I'm interested in the FPS and spec'd design of the HST round at those velocities.

I look forward to all your comments.

Thank you all.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
The 147 gr HST will work just fine from a 4" barrel.

Actually, there's a post here, somewhere, where Winchester actually recommends the 147gr rounds in the shorter barrels; can't see where HST would be any different.

If your pistol likes it, it'll do just fine.

·
Super Moderator
50,611 Posts
Get a box of each and let your firearm decide which it likes best...it probably won't make much of a difference.OMO

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
I use 124 currently. Although if your using a good quality ammunition and your gun likes it, I really don't think it makes much difference.

·
Registered
420 Posts
How reliably the cartridge functions in your pistol is the most important factor by far for CCW use. If both function flawlessly, I would favor the 147 grain as I believe it has slightly better penetration capability. Federal HSTs are my carry choice too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This thread is closed.

I went to Federal and saw that their performance testing and spec'd Velocity / Energy charts are from a 4" barrel.

Sorry, feel like a melon!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts