Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any links or information about #4 used for HD?

I've always leaned towards 00, but a breakdown in communication just bought me some #4. Maybe they are good for something? Otherwise, I'll just shoot them up at the range I guess...

9 pellets of .33 inch stuff versus 20something pellets of .25 inch stuff? The box calls for just a smidge over 1300fps.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
I actually use #1 buckshot - best mix of pellet size and weight, number of pellets, and penetration.

#4 may be a bit light on penetration, but should still do the job.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
When I was an LEO in the 80's we carried 4 buck in our shotguns

·
Registered
28 Posts
It will work fine for home defense. Just about any size buckshot will. When I shot up the 00 I have in mine, I am going back to #4 Buckshot.

·
Registered
13,125 Posts
At close range, I like no 4 buck better, for defence.:tumbleweed:

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Nothing wrong with #4 buck. Like dukalmighty, my agency's preferred load was #4 buck. It gives less over penetration thru thin walls, especially apartments. Have seen the results of a couple of shootings with #4. They were, no doubt about it, 1 shot stops...

I keep #4 buck in my HD shotgun. :yup: :hand10:

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
IMO...#2 does rather well in the 12ga, and #4 does rather well in the 20ga. I still load the 12ga HD with the 00 buck though.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
When someone coming through the front door is hit with #4 buck...it is still a great 'entry discourager', but I prefer 00 buck to discourage in the strongest way...:twak::image035:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I have shot #4 at plastic milk jugs filled with water. The results are pretty devastating.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
I prefer 00 buck, but frankly would not want any part of even bird shot a close range. So #4 should work just fine.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I prefer 00 buck, but frankly would not want any part of even bird shot a close range. So #4 should work just fine.
One single pellet of birdshot in either eye should slow things down enough to get a good second shot if the enemy is still standing.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
#3 buckshot has about 55.4 ft/lbs of energy per pellet. I am guessing a full load would have about as much as3 rounds from a 40 cal., but I doubt it would have the penatration. I have two 20 ga and keep #3 buckshot for them. I would not trust it past 10 yards if BG was wearing heavy clothing. I had a real life incident where 3 shots of #3 buckshot did not perform nearly as well as I thought it would at 25 ft. I lost confidence in it and will be getting # 2 buckshot for them soon.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One single pellet of birdshot in either eye should slow things down enough to get a good second shot if the enemy is still standing.
You know this logic is sound. Anything short of a PSP loaded nutbag would be halted by any 12ga in the face.

For the PSP loaded types, maybe the 00 is requisite.

You know, I have seen 3 1/2 inch mags for #4...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts