Defensive Carry banner

What barrel length for Concealed Carry in a 1911 and why?

• 5in is fine - length in a 1911 is not an issue

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • 5in is too long to comfortably CCW every day

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 4in is Fine - Just the right size combo for CCW

Votes: 56 57.7%
  • 4in is too long too long to comfortably CCW every day

Votes: 6 6.2%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know if there is an issue with carrying a full size 1911 as opposed to the 4inch or 4.25 inch versions. I don't have the option to test them so I wanted to get a consensus to see if the full size was indeed more difficult to conceal.

I have read that a lot of people find the 4 inch barrel to be a solid blend of size and accuracy. But my question has nothing to do with accuracy, simply the ability not only to conceal well but also Carry comfortably every day. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
106 Posts
My pick is the one I use daily, A Kimber Ultra Ten II, 3.1" barrel and it fits anywhere. Ten + one rounds of .45 acp mean you never hafta feel you're sorry for not killing a scumbag criminal.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I often carry a Kimber Compact Stainless (4") IWB at 0330, and find it's no problem to bend at the waist or sit with the 4" barrel... but I'm only 5'8"...dripping wet. Taller guys most likely can easily carry 5" barrels IWB. For general S/D considerations, I really see no advantage of the longer barrel anyway.

surv

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am torn on voting for this one.

I regularly carry a 5" 1911 in various ways, so I'd say its fine. But I'm 6'5" 295 lbs and I could probably wear 4 or 5 of them and no one would notice.

Realistically, 4" is a great choice, for the points that you stated. Just don't get a 3".

Then again, I have a man crush on John Browning, so I think its fundamentally wrong to not have a full size, mil-spec 1911 in your arsenal. I'm fortunate enough to have a few fine examples of each in my cabinet.

What did you have in mind for a gun?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am torn on voting for this one.Then again, I have a man crush on John Browning, so I think its fundamentally wrong to not have a full size, mil-spec 1911 in your arsenal. I'm fortunate enough to have a few fine examples of each in my cabinet.
This is my Dilemna. It seems sacrilegious to buy a 1911 and have it not be full size. I have a 3.5in Citadel for carry but I always wanted a stainless 1911 and was looking at the Springfield Loaded vs Champion. I want the full size initially but I may carry it from time to time. It may or may not be an every day carry item, but nonetheless, I need to determine if a full size would be comfortable or if I should just go with the 4in. Tough Decision.

·
Super Moderator
17,295 Posts
My EDC is a 3" SA Micro-Compact but I also have a 4” SA Compact and a 5” Taurus and sometimes carry either one depending on what I feel like carrying that day. I am 5’ 5” and 175lbs and have no problem with concealing any size of 1911.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I have a 4.25" GSR RCS 1911 and it works fine. I just aquired a
Kimber 3" 1911 CDP ultra Carry II custom shop. It is easier to carry and feeds perfect. I hear ppl say 3" 1911 won't feed JHP because of the ramp angle, but I haven't any FTF yet. I'm about 200 rds into this firearm. i've used it with FMJ and Golden Sabers.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
All of my 1911s are 4"- 4 1/4". :wink:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I'll carry nothing less than the 5" due to reliability. Carries just as easily as a shorter model. Also no FL guide rods or dual spring set up's. KISS for me.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I chose 5 inch only because thats what I have.

I've never had too much trouble carrying full sized guns.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
5in is fine - length in a 1911 is not an issue.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
I use to carry a fully custom five-inch stainless 1911 that I loved! Unfortunately, it was a real challenge for me to CC. The weight and footprint was massive on my smaller than average framed bod. Today, I prefer j-frames in 2-1/8 or 1-7/8. Now, I’m not too keen on alloy or vinyl frames, as I prefer steel or stainless in the 21-23 ounce range.
Regards,
Dan

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think the answer is a blend of two of your choices. 5" is fine for carry, the length really isn't a problem. But that being said, I think the commander-size is the ideal carry size; the reliability of the full-size, smaller package to conceal, a little lighter (plus, with the CCO-size you can shave 3/4" off the grip, too). I've had a few 3" models from both SA and Kimber. I could never get any of them to feed/cycle properly. That was enough for me stay away from all 3" models. Other folks have had great luck with them and swear by them.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
I find my SA Champ fits me perfect, but a 5" model would probably work too.

·
Registered
446 Posts
FWIW the effective PD range is 25 yards (some would say a lot less) at the most...so the difference between the two for accuracy or bullet velocity isn't significant. You should be able to hit any target/BG with any quality 4" gun. I'd get a pistol that is as easy to pack as possible.

If your talking target or competition shooting...you'll get a difference answer.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
My only 1911 is a 5" and I have absolutely no problem carrying it concealed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts