Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bough a Tristar c100 (Turkish cz75 compact clone) in .40 s&w. This weekend was my first chance to shoot it. I decided to do a watter jug test on the only .40 hollow points I had on hand. 180grain winchester ranger. I did 2 shots at 15 ft. First through 4 layers of an old pair of jeans, and the second through bare jugs. Obviously both shots opended up nice. Both rounds were found in the fourth jug cracking the fith jug. Surprising penetration given how well they expanded. Usually fully expanded bullets end up in the third, at least for 9mm that I mostly shoot. Does it mean anything? Maybe not, but probably half the rounds I test fail to expand when fired through 4 layers of denim. I do like to see em open up when fired through clothing. Good shooting round, good shooting gun. I may even take this combo into the deer woods this november. Here's a few pics. You can see the denim bullet didn't open up quite as much but both penetrated very much the same.

·
Registered
20,077 Posts
What it means is they make advertisement grade photos and kill water jugs.
You can at least depend on that.
No way would I use that on a deer.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What it means is they make advertisement grade photos and kill water jugs.
You can at least depend on that.
No way would I use that on a deer.
If I recall from your other posting on deer hunting with pistols, your issue isn't caliber or bullet weight. Is it the degree and ease of expansion?

·
Registered
20,077 Posts
If I recall from your other posting on deer hunting with pistols, your issue isn't caliber or bullet weight. Is it the degree and ease of expansion?
It is the degree of expansion and bullet weight, which is key to getting that needed penetration.

Also, I want it understood that the shots I take are set up perfectly. I will not shoot an animal with a relatively low powered gun unless it is within bow range, which for me means 10-20 yards, and I have a perfect shot, plus I will practice, practice, practice, before I go hunting.
Shot placement is of the utmost importance. I want that bullet on at least one shoulder, either in, or on the way out to make an immobilized animal in case I need a quick follow up, but preferably both. Just as you would for dangerous game.

I would not use anything but a Nosler bullet of 180 weight at a muzzle velocity 1100 fps +\-.
If you handload, 800x will get you there from a G22 length barrel.
If you don't, Double Tap ammo makes that load.

A Hornady XTP would be my second choice for a bullet, but I believe the Nosler has a tougher skin.

Its very doable. I've done it, but do everything you can to respect the animal.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Nice expansion, through four jugs and clothing... nice test.

·
Registered
20,077 Posts
If you look at the length of the shank that is left on those bullets, that's a very good example of why the heavier bullet selections penetrate better.
The unexpanded shank adds weight to the bullet pushing it along with added weight.

Those bullets and load would make an outstanding SD load. With a controlled expansion selection and a little more juice behind it, hunting medium game is within reality.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts