Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably the thread I should have made before. I'm pretty sold on the .45 because I already own two, but considering the lack of selection out there, I guess I'll need to consider a .40 cal.

I want a pistol that's fairly lightweight and will easily conceal in a pocket holster. This will most likely mean polymer.

So there's the Kahrs and Taurus Millennium single stack. What else should I be looking at in these calibers?

And please, no suggestions for the Ruger LCP or Seecamps. I'm sure they're great little guns, but I really don't want a .380 or 9mm. If I'm carrying, I'm carrying ONE gun, not a primary with a BUG.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Probably what you want is a Semmerling.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
You could add the G27, to the list...I pocket carry my G26 all the time... maybe the G36?

·
Registered
398 Posts
You might want to look at the Glock 27 and 36, they are almost the same size and weight. In not exactly sure of the comparison to the Kahr and Taurus but I think they are pretty close. Both are definitely cheaper than the Kahr. If the cost is important I dont think you can beat the Taurus for price. I never pocket carry so I couldnt say how any of them are in a pocket.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The smallest semiauto 45 are the following: Glock 36, Kimber Ultra Carry II, S&W CS45, Para Ordinance Hawgs, Colt Agent, STI, Kahr Arms, & Springfield Armory EMP to mention a few. Although these are compact frames, I would nto classify them as pocket carry. Good Luck.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
You could add the G27, to the list...I pocket carry my G26 all the time... maybe the G36?
+1, there's your best bet right there. G27 all day long.

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
Well, in all honesty, and being the Glock man I am....I should suggest the G26 or G27 like others have stated, but..........#1. I've never considered pocket carry. #2. I figure the sub-compact Glocks aren't really the smallest pistols available to carry in one's pocket(s). #3. If you truly want something in 40 or 45 caliber, then I would say something in 9mm would be a bit lighter and possibly smaller comparatively. Best thing in the world in my opinion for pocket carry in 45acp may be very hard to find these days. The AMT Backup. 5+1 capacity, and DAO. Almost perfect for a pocket pistol in a large caliber. There is a used one on GunsAmerica right now for $625.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/902663668/Guns/Pistols/AMT-Pistols/Double-Action/AMT_Backup_45_ACP_USE.htm

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe Walther's Slim Thin .40?
Thanks for the tip, but that model is listed as 6.3 inches. The XD40SC is 6.25. Yes, I'm nitpicking somewhat, but I think height might be a factor for pocket carry.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
....... Best thing in the world in my opinion for pocket carry in 45acp may be very hard to find these days. The AMT Backup. 5+1 capacity, and DAO. Almost perfect for a pocket pistol in a large caliber. There is a used one on GunsAmerica right now for $625.
GunsAmerica - AMT Backup 45 ACP **USED** - AMT Pistols > Double Action - Guns For Sale & Gun Auctions B"H

I have the AMT Backup. It's small, but heavy. I did a "fluff and buff" on it, and now it works real good - but when new, it jammed a lot. I still do not trust it with JHP, so I use only FMJ.........

-

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still do not trust it with JHP, so I use only FMJ.........

-
That exactly the problem I've always had with my Defender. It'll feed hardball all day but I'm lucky to get through a single mag of hollowpoints without a stovepipe.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
The Kahr PM40 seems to be the best bet for what you are looking for. I here the recoil is quite snappy...and most importantly punishes the polymer frame a lot quicker over the life of the gun. The PM45 also seems nice but might be a tad big for the pocket.

·
Registered
941 Posts
The smallest semiauto 45 are the following: Glock 36, Kimber Ultra Carry II, S&W CS45, Para Ordinance Hawgs, Colt Agent, STI, Kahr Arms, & Springfield Armory EMP to mention a few. Although these are compact frames, I would nto classify them as pocket carry. Good Luck.
I'm pretty sure the EMP only comes in 9 and .40, not in .45

1 - 14 of 14 Posts