Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to find a 40S&W with the grip of a Sig p239. I have small hands/pointer finger and trigger reach is a problem for me. I do know that the 239 comes in 40, but i'm interested in a longer barrel...4-5 in. Anyone know of a model that would fit the bill?
Thanks for any info.

(Sure is cold in Cincinnati)

·
Registered
87 Posts
May we know the reason you are searching for a longer barrel? If it's for accuracy, you can't get more accurate than a Sig (IMHO).

Any more info you can give us before we recommend?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have very small hands, and I bought a sig p229. I love it kind of bulky for cc and it doesn't have a safety. Very reliable gun. Another gun that is good for small hands is hk uspc. Or the always reliable 1911.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Have you looked at the Kahr P40 (3.6" barrel) or PM40 (3" barrel)? They're also single stack and very thin.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
May we know the reason you are searching for a longer barrel? If it's for accuracy, you can't get more accurate than a Sig (IMHO).

Any more info you can give us before we recommend?
I have a P239 in 9mm. It doesn't seem to me that I would really get that much more "bang for the buck" by getting a 239 in 40S&W.
Maybe I'm wrong?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have very small hands, and I bought a sig p229. I love it kind of bulky for cc and it doesn't have a safety. Very reliable gun. Another gun that is good for small hands is hk uspc. Or the always reliable 1911.
I held a p229 at a gun store and probably would have bought it if my trigger finger would have reached the trigger properly. I have to hold the pistol at 12:30 to 1:00 to reach the trigger correctly.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just purchased a p239 in 40 yesterday and although overslept was able to get to the range this morning for about an hour. I have small hands and for the sake of pride won't say they are girly, but not far off. This used pistol came with the hogue grips and shot groups that totally amazed me. single action and double were right where I wanted them. I left the range really impressed. I think Sig offers something I'm not used to and really like. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I agree with the P229 as a gun worth looking at. The .40 cartridge is designed to perform well in shorter barrels, so I don't think you'll gain as much from a longer barrel as you might with other calibers, and the P229 is at 3.9 inches anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I've been trying to find a 40S&W with the grip of a Sig p239. I have small hands/pointer finger and trigger reach is a problem for me. I do know that the 239 comes in 40, but i'm interested in a longer barrel...4-5 in. Anyone know of a model that would fit the bill?
Thanks for any info.

(Sure is cold in Cincinnati)
Have a look at the Walther PPS chambered in .40. It comes with two different back straps. You will probably like the smaller one.

I own several handguns. my preference is Sig Sauer and Kimber. For light carry though I really like the Walther PPS. It is very accurate, ultra slim and designed to last.

It is a fine gun that will not fail you.

There are other options. Just don't buy junk.

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
Why not look at a .40 Hi Power?

That is unless you have to have a DA first shot.

Biker

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why not look at a .40 Hi Power?

That is unless you have to have a DA first shot.

Biker
Yes, I've been trying but they seem to be scarce around here. One thing I don't understand though...If it's SA, how does that work on the first shot when the hammer is still forward?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree with the P229 as a gun worth looking at. The .40 cartridge is designed to perform well in shorter barrels, so I don't think you'll gain as much from a longer barrel as you might with other calibers, and the P229 is at 3.9 inches anyway.
SO, do you think a P239 40 S&W would have enough of an edge over a P239 9mm to justify the cost? (In terms of "stopping power" and/or terminal ballistics and/or "one stop shot", etc, etc, etc)

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
Yes, I've been trying but they seem to be scarce around here. One thing I don't understand though...If it's SA, how does that work on the first shot when the hammer is still forward?
The hammer is not carried in the forward position.

The gun is designed to be carried "cocked and locked". That is with the hammer back and the thumb safety engaged. To fire you have to "swipe" the thumb safety to the off position, which is done while drawing.

It sounds to me like you need to get some training from a qualified and competent instructor before using a single action "bottomfeeder". No disrespect intended, as we were all newbies at one time. Qualified instruction is a must!

As far as being hard to find, yest they can be that. I prefer buying online and having guns shipped to my FFL for a small fee.

Biker

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The hammer is not carried in the forward position.

It sounds to me like you need to get some training from a qualified and competent instructor before using a single action "bottomfeeder". No disrespect intended, as we were all newbies at one time. Qualified instruction is a must!

Biker
I had a PPK .380 I carried with me in VN (along with my trusty 16), but didn't bring it back to the world. Until last Spring, I've been shooting Ruger .357 Security Six'es & 12 ga shotguns. Since I can't afford to purchase one of every different model semi, I'm trying to learn from the experience of others. No disrespect taken.

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
I had a PPK .380 I carried with me in VN (along with my trusty 16), but didn't bring it back to the world. Until last Spring, I've been shooting Ruger .357 Security Six'es & 12 ga shotguns. Since I can't afford to purchase one of every different model semi, I'm trying to learn from the experience of others. No disrespect taken.
The P-35 is not a PPK and has a very different manual of arms.

An easy way to think of it is like the 1911 without a grip safety, but with a magazine disconnect safety. It, unlike the military designates, is designed to be carried with a round in the chamber and the safety on. Attempting to lower the hammer on a live round is foolish IMHO, as it increases the chance of an ND/AD. To carry with an empty chamber is to carry a brick. I', not a mason, so I don't carry bricks.

I have found the P-35 to fit most hands, and none have complained about the "fit" or feel in the hand. While many have gone to other guns, nobody has ever yet said that the P-35 doesn't feel good to them. Some may think other guns feel better to them, but they are a select few. There is just something about the ergonomics in the old design.

My hands aren't all that big, size 7.5 or 8 glove, and it's the best feeling doublestack I've found so far. I go so far as to say that it feels better than the 1911 too.

Biker

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The P-35 is not a PPK and has a very different manual of arms.

Biker
Walther PPK .380 cal, ya know...James Bond. Not a P-35, which I'm not familiar with anyways. My point was...I've been shooting for years but am new to semi's.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I can't believe someone hasn't mentioned a sweet-firing .40 -- the Smith and Wesson CS-40. It sports a 3" barrel, is steel (so handles the punch of the fired round surprisingly well), and with Big Dog grips, the CS-40 conceals as well as any piece. Check it out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts