Defensive Carry banner

Given ammo shortages, what pistol calibers can you shoot with the concealed carry guns you own?

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Commonly accepted as the "Biden Theorem". Used when you just don't care whether or not things add up!
It's just because people can select multiple options.

Reactions: nj709

·
Registered
535 Posts
I agree 40 was never a bad idea (it's actually a great idea depending on the person). I was on a Smith & Wesson forum recently, and one of those guys who sounds like he knows a lot until you ask him questions said that (and I am only slightly paraphrasing) ".40 S&W and .45 ACP should have died a horrible death many years ago, and maybe even from the outset." I took issue with that and saw that his account was suspended later that day and now I can't find him or his post (not that I'm looking very hard). I think they ironically (if not poetically) handled the situation by terminating his account in the spirit of what he said about those calibers.

I don't want to mention names, but I think a certain YouTube personality about 8-10 years ago came on the scene and drilled into people's minds that "All guns should be Glocks, all Glocks should be nine millimeters, and all Glock nine millimeters should be nineteens". Many years later he would walk back this statement to mean dehorned 9mm pistols holding about 15-rounds (and that he said that because no one made anything like that at the time). That may or not be true, but he certainly hasn't walked back his statement about calibers other than 9mm and perhaps .45 ACP.

The truth is that it's not bad advice for most people to recommend 9mm over all others when starting out (though I can certainly think of some exceptions), but I think his conviction really affected a lot of people (including me at first). The only reason I remained open to other calibers at the time was that despite being a big 9mm fan, the best guns I've shot well personally were .45's (in terms of shooting paper targets anyway). I also have an affinity for .357 SIG (sorry, but I won't apologize to anyone for this). Moreover, .380's make for great pocket pistols especially when you're "not allowed" to carry, and revolvers are just too freaking cool for school.

Lastly, having carried .40 S&W exclusively for my first 8 of the last 15 years I've been carrying, I've always maintained a soft spot for the former FBI caliber and have thus always wanted to go back to it. At the time, however, it wasn't a priority for me to have more than a few pistols so I had to prioritize. That said, I don't think I started really branching out until the ammo shortage that followed the 2012 Sandy Hook shooting. Even so, I've been putting off getting back into .40 S&W until today despite owning many guns in many calibers in the interim. That said, if people only like 9mm and can afford to stock up on more ammo than they could ever use, I guess diversifying their portfolio wouldn't be so appealing. To each his own.

I can understand how some people haven't thought about diversifying their experience because it hasn't progressed to that point (if it ever will). Let's say you're relatively new to firearms and only have three pistols (small, medium, and large), I can see how someone might want to stay with one caliber (and 9mm in particular). Not everyone has the money or interest to go beyond that. Moreover, many people find it hard to afford anything, so chasing the dream of having 5,000 rounds or more on hand is never going to be realistic for them and I can't hold that against them.

But whatever that minimum ammunition cache number is for someone that they maintain by picking up a box of ammo every time they enter a gun store (and/or by routinely buy in bulk), they have to maintain it, which means they constantly have to replenish it unless they don't practice (or ammo dries up, in which case having other options makes sense).

Many people also can't afford to shoot for recreation, so they shoot only as often as they can afford which is often not enough. In those situations I'm not sure how long I'm going to want to rely on dry practicing alone. I dry practice anywhere from virtually every day to a few times a week, but if I don't shoot relatively long periods of time my skills start to parish (especially with my aging eyesight and onset of arthritis). Moreover, on average it is during these times of uncertainty, economic or otherwise, and panic, that one's shooting skills become increasingly valuable over time.

I guess what I am trying to say is that everyone's situation is at least a little different, so I understand how scarcity is going to affect people in various ways (and at different rates). Personally I had a serious health issue which was 100% fatal unless the person is lucky to get diagnosed & treated early on (years ahead of when the disease is typically diagnosed (which was luckily my case). My wife and I were hit with this at a really bad time on top of it which made finances very tight. I'm okay now but it's doubtful I will ever fully recover, so extenuating circumstances can also come into play (when it comes to maintaining adequate levels of ammunition).

That said, there is also a fair share of naivete and procrastination going on, and we are all guilty of it in some aspect of our lives.
Wow! That may be the longest post I've ever read. Agree with every word of it.

Reactions: liberty1

·
Registered
535 Posts
The math is fine. In this poll you can select all that apply, so not everyone is going to have every caliber, or the same number of different calibers, so it's not going to add up to 100% in that way.
I think they covered that stuff after I dropped out!

Reactions: liberty1

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I have a very simple philosophy when it comes to guns and ammo choice. I buy guns in the most popular calibers and keep as few calibers as possible. I buy multiple guns that shoot those calibers.

I then stock up on ammo in those calibers.

And, the calibers I choose are ones that I will likely be able to scrounge up after the zombie apocalypse. I figure a lot of people will die off quickly with their supplies relatively intact, ready for me to come get.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have a very simple philosophy when it comes to guns and ammo choice. I buy guns in the most popular calibers and keep as few calibers as possible. I buy multiple guns that shoot those calibers.

I then stock up on ammo in those calibers.

And, the calibers I choose are ones that I will likely be able to scrounge up after the zombie apocalypse. I figure a lot of people will die off quickly with their supplies relatively intact, ready for me to come get.
Ah! I see you are an optimist.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Lets say that somehow a Kel-Tec Sub2000 in 40 S&W found its way home at yesterdays gun show and I was able to easily score 300 rounds of ammunition. I went by an Academy Sports today and the ammo isle looked like it was The Zombie Apocalypse. I DID find some departmental turn in 40 S&W at Gt Distributers also, so having a slightly less popular round is sometimes a Godsend. :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
Lets say that somehow a Kel-Tec Sub2000 in 40 S&W found its way home at yesterdays gun show and I was able to easily score 300 rounds of ammunition. I went by an Academy Sports today and the ammo isle looked like it was The Zombie Apocalypse. I DID find some departmental turn in 40 S&W at Gt Distributers also, so having a slightly less popular round is sometimes a Godsend. :cool:
After the last ammo run, and when prices returned to normal, I stocked up on ammo. I also stocked up on primers and powder. I'll be darned if I get caught with MY pants down!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The .40 is a good round, good for what ails ya, as they say.

Once this 9mm craze/fad ebbs, the .40 will see a resurgence.

Of course, I could be wrong, but that's what I believe.
I'm glad you said that because I feel the same way. A lot of this stuff (demand) might be long term planning in my opinion, and I also still think .357 SIG might see its day at some point as well.

Reactions: oldranger53

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I agree that the 40 S&W is not a bad choice at all. The used market is flooded with lightly used pistols and the ammo may be a little more plentiful in some areas. However, I got caught years ago during an ammo shortage and learned my lesson. I stocked up on the ammo in the calibers I shoot and have always replaced whatever I shot quickly afterwards. I also will rotate ammo and shoot the oldest first. Fortunately the LGS has kept an ample supply of 115 grain 9mm FMJ's and 55 grain .223's for my powder burning therapy and I have not reduced my ammo reserve. I also keep a lot of 22 rimfire and have been able to find plenty of that.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Hmm . . Despite all the logic and thought behind the survey, I think it has not considered the addiction factor - not me, of course. I can quit buying guns and ammo any time I want. Really. I can. I'd show you if I wanted to, I just don't want to. But I can.

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
Went online a week ago, hardly any 9mm, .357 Mag, .38, .380, .223/5.56, or 12 gauge to be had. Even .30-30 was out.

However, unlike the last shortage, plenty of .22LR...weird...and at good prices, too. I got another 5000 round case coming.

I do not underestimate the .22, and a 10/22 with a BX25 mag makes a good gremlin repellent if it comes to that. And with that, there’s always “battlefield pickups.”

·
Registered
816 Posts
I actually had a humorous thought cross my mind last week when I purchased quite a bit of .40S&W ammo for both target and self-defense. The thought was simply replaying all the ".40 suck", ."40 is history" and "buy anything but .40" threads I've read over the last couple of years, and thinking "who's laughing now?".

I own firearms in most every major caliber, and have never wanted to jump on the .40 is dead bandwagon, because I like the .40 S&W just as much as any other caliber I own. When there seemed to be some emotional mass exodus away from .40 S&W toward 9mm, I simply sat back and watched while thinking back on previous ammo shortages, and thought that this will not work out well for some of the "only 9mm" guys.

My advice to anyone would be to forget abut the meaningless caliber wars, and diversify with the many wonderful calibers that our market provides. This way, when these shortages hit, and they will hit, you will likely have some caliber that you can find.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The only thing .40 isn't good for is a range toy or a subcompact gun. For any other defensive use, it should be preferred. And if you have a .40 carry gun and want to burn a lot of rounds at the range, a lot of .40 guns will take a 9mm conversion barrel.

·
Registered
790 Posts
The only thing .40 isn't good for is a range toy or a subcompact gun. For any other defensive use, it should be preferred. And if you have a .40 carry gun and want to burn a lot of rounds at the range, a lot of .40 guns will take a 9mm conversion barrel.
In a gun like the p229, I've even discovered that .40 can be fun on the range. It sure does help soak up the recoil a bit compared to something like a G23. Now a subcompact gun? I'm 100% with you there. Wouldn't want to shoot much .40 at all in that frame.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If shot .40 out of a G27 and wondered what the big deal was. Same with a Gen 4 23. I shot a Gen 3 23 and noticed the increased recoil. I think the double recoil spring actually has an effect.

And when I said subcompact, I was think something Shield sized. I guess the G27 is also a sub, but that seems to work.

In a gun like the p229, I've even discovered that .40 can be fun on the range. It sure does help soak up the recoil a bit compared to something like a G23. Now a subcompact gun? I'm 100% with you there. Wouldn't want to shoot much .40 at all in that frame.

·
Registered
790 Posts
If shot .40 out of a G27 and wondered what the big deal was. Same with a Gen 4 23. I shot a Gen 3 23 and noticed the increased recoil. I think the double recoil spring actually has an effect.

And when I said subcompact, I was think something Shield sized. I guess the G27 is also a sub, but that seems to work.
I’ve actually never shot a G27. Not sure I’d want to go smaller than the G23, but I hope to get a chance to try one someday.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
And like an idiot I sold my G23 and bought a S&W EZ 380 that I sold because of feeding issues.
Should be smacked at times.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

Both my .40s are XD-s, a Service and Subcompact. Both with compound spring recoil assembly. And, yeah, "meh" on recoil. (I did not think the XDS in .40 was much fun to shoot.)

21 - 40 of 48 Posts