Defensive Carry banner

Given ammo shortages, what pistol calibers can you shoot with the concealed carry guns you own?

• Total voters
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I actually had a humorous thought cross my mind last week when I purchased quite a bit of .40S&W ammo for both target and self-defense. The thought was simply replaying all the ".40 suck", ."40 is history" and "buy anything but .40" threads I've read over the last couple of years, and thinking "who's laughing now?".

I own firearms in most every major caliber, and have never wanted to jump on the .40 is dead bandwagon, because I like the .40 S&W just as much as any other caliber I own. When there seemed to be some emotional mass exodus away from .40 S&W toward 9mm, I simply sat back and watched while thinking back on previous ammo shortages, and thought that this will not work out well for some of the "only 9mm" guys.

My advice to anyone would be to forget abut the meaningless caliber wars, and diversify with the many wonderful calibers that our market provides. This way, when these shortages hit, and they will hit, you will likely have some caliber that you can find.
Well said!

Reactions: flintlock62

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
The only thing .40 isn't good for is a range toy or a subcompact gun. For any other defensive use, it should be preferred. And if you have a .40 carry gun and want to burn a lot of rounds at the range, a lot of .40 guns will take a 9mm conversion barrel.
Well, I use my 40's as range toys. I usually shoot between 200 to 400 rounds a session. I once shot 800 rounds of 40 in 3-1/2 hour day. My thumbs got more sore than anything reloading all those mags. I just don't see the 40 as THAT gall darn snappy. I can also shoot 400 rounds of 45 acp (not in the same day). I don't discedit the 9mm, but I'd rather sling a 230 gr pill than a 115 gr. Think of it, twice the mass. And, yes I know how well 9mm does in ballistic gel. I doubt I will ever shoot a gel block in SD.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
When it comes to shooting .40 S&W and .357 SIG out of smaller/lighter pistols like the G27 or G33, it's hard for me to make generalizations because the loads & experiences very considerably. Shooting a 65 grain .357 SIG is much different than shooting a 147 grain. Similarly, I've seen .40 S&W cartridges range from 88 grains to 205 grains.

The bullet weight to powder charge ratio changes the characteristics significantly even among the middle of the road offerings (e.g. 135 or 165 grain). I've seen comparison videos between .40 S&W and .357 SIG, for example, that made conclusions based off of very different cartridges on opposite sides of the spectrum as if that was representative of all loads. Even two cartridges with the same weight bullets can vary.

I love shooting .357 SIG out of my P229, but I didn't like shooting even the ubiquitous 125 grain loads out of my Glock 33* (.357 version of the G26). It wasn't a lot of recoil, but it was a lot of muzzle flip even though I like a two finger hold on a G26 or M&P Subcompact.

I shot/carried an M&P40c for many years, but I later went a long time without shooting it (sticking to 9mm) and when I went back to it I felt it kicked harder than I remembered until I got used to it again. The experiences can range so much for one particular individual, so the experience is exponentially different when discussing shooting characteristics involving a variety of people and their experiences.

I believe everything I just said has a lot to do with why .40 S&W and .357 SIG often get a bad wrap. People who tend to like the rounds either happen to be larger/stronger individuals, people who shoot a lot, and/or they at least tend to undertand what I am saying about how different loads shoot differently.

Even Hickok45 seems to both understand and forget this. He's one of the people who did a comparison video like I mentioned. At the same time, he used to exclusively carry a G27 for many years always preferring .40S&W, but once he started moving to 9mm like everyone else, he went back to .40 and shared a very similar experience. I think he said he had to shoot for about a week before he got back to how he handled .40 when he shot it almost daily.

It's all in the expectations. We can set ourselves up for success or failure.

Maybe we need a reference chartridge or cartridges within each caliber similar to how many people compare a variety of pistols to the Glock 19.

*There is a big difference shooting .357 SIG from a 21.87 ounce Glock 33 with a two-finger hold and using a full finger grip shooting .357 SIG from a 34.0 ounce SIG P229.

Reactions: mhl6493

·
Registered
36 Posts
Both 9 & 40 and don't see a need for anything else. I do like the 40 better, and carry it more often.
I still shoot a couple of mags twice a week to stay in shape, and to keep the ranges from going under.

·
Registered
430 Posts
In the following order I prefer these handgun calibers due to my own extensive external and terminal ballistic tests using various mediums:

.357 Magnum
.357 SIG
.40 S&W
9x19

Personally, I think the shorty .40 is just fine. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
*There is a big difference shooting .357 SIG from a 21.87 ounce Glock 33 with a two-finger hold and using a full finger grip shooting .357 SIG from a 34.0 ounce SIG P229.
I'll buy that. I shoot "duty", or full size guns. The 1911 or SP226 softens the recoil because of the weight.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
40's are among my favorite pistols.
Glock 23 - minimum carry, easily concealed under any summer attire, AIWB/ strongside IWB.
Glock 22 - preferred carry, easily concealed AIWB with stripe, print, pattern, to break any slight bulge.
Glock 35 - preferred carry, easily concealed strong side, stripe, print, pattern to break any slight bulge.

The 23 grip is cramped for me, but I can conceal it under a solid color t-shirt.
The 22 and 35 offer accommodating grip and are soft shooting; the 35 is debatably my favorite pistol.

Glock 35 or 41 - that is a tough choice.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I stocked up on every caliber I own about 3-4 years back when I lived in California, and they were headed toward a background check for every box, and no internet/phone/delivery type sales. Turns out, it’s one check for every purchase, or I dunno, maybe for every caliber that you purchase. But anyway, I wasn’t about to let them tax me again, so I stocked up. We eventu decided to get the hell outta Dodge, and left that sorry state of affairs, ammo and all. But I still have a big boatload of various calibers. When all this quiets down and ammo is easier to find, I’ll pick up some more. By that time, it’ll be likely time to restock anyway.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts