Defensive Carry banner

Given ammo shortages, what pistol calibers can you shoot with the concealed carry guns you own?

• Total voters
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
That's certainly a viable solution, especially when you consider the amount of ammo you can buy with the price of a gun in another caliber, but everyone's needs and desires are different and that's a good thing (at least for experimental purposes). Most of my carry guns are 9mm's, but I like having at least one of all the popular calibers for a host of reasons which may or may not provide a significant advantage at some point (or disadvantage). One, I am a curious person and just like comparing calibers (hence I can shoot 9mm, .40, and .357 out of the same P229). It allows me to be more intimately familiar with the various caliber & loading choices out there for my own knowledge & experience. Even some very unlikely scenarios such as bartering with someone who doesn't prefer or own 9mm in a SHTF scenario could potentially be of value. Hopefully having to use ammo from any caliber to defend myself will never come to fruition, so I guess we're always dealing with highly unlikely probabilities when you think about it, which is why both approaches are truly valid. I also like the fact that it takes the edge off. You may not be this way, but I know I am personally less defensive about discussing the caliber debate because I have guns in various calibers (especially my favorite gun). I also like the fact that it keeps the door open in many ways. For all we know in five or ten years technology and/or marketing will make .40 S&W, .357 SIG, .45 ACP or something else reign supreme over 9mm again. As such, at least for me, it would soften the blow having guns either already chambered or readily converted to what the next "best" caliber might be at any given time. For example, I know I have had the same thought as others that perhaps .357 SIG might be rebranded as 9mm Magnum (losing the deceptive diameter designation of a once ideal caliber and instead relate it to 9mm Parabellum since both are 9mm bullets). Perhaps 9mm Short might regain its popularity since people are overwhelming carrying semi-automatics in lieu of the .380 ACP's namesake the .38 Special). In any event, I can see the value of putting all my money in 9mm or using some of it for a variety of calibers. Both approaches are perfectly legitimate in my opinion.
That is a valid argument as well. There are no wrong answers for this. Unless you have no ammo at all due to not following the 5 P's.

I like too many calibers as it is. Reloading makes it very easy to add another one to the inventory. Too easy.

Great looking Sig BTW. Really gorgeous.

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
apparently no one learned from the 2008 ammo shortage....and the 2012 ammo shortage. These little lessons are the reason I own several .357SIG and .40SW Glocks. Threw in a few Kahr and Smith & Wesson .40's as well. Going with only 9mm or .45ACP is a recipe for NEVER finding ammo during times like these.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Since 357 Sig has been mentioned a couple times.
357 Sig compared to 9mm and 40 out of my pistols.
Glock 19:
Federal HST 147 gr +P @ 1,044 fps / 356# KE
Remington 124 gr. +P Golden Saber @ 1,152 fps / 365# KE
Federal HST 124 gr. +P @ 1,210 fps / 403# KE

Glock 23:
Federal Hydra-Shok 180 gr. @ 969 fps / 375# KE
Federal HST 180 gr. @ 1,003 fps / 402# KE
Remington Golden Saber 165 gr. @ 1,048 fps / 402# KE

Glock 32:
Winchester Ranger T 125 gr. @ 1,340 fps / 499# KE
Speer Gold Dot 125 gr. @ 1,344 fps / 501# KE
Federal HST 125 gr. @ 1,358 fps / 512# KE

Reactions: liberty1

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
apparently no one learned from the 2008 ammo shortage....and the 2012 ammo shortage. These little lessons are the reason I own several .357SIG and .40SW Glocks. Threw in a few Kahr and Smith & Wesson .40's as well. Going with only 9mm or .45ACP is a recipe for NEVER finding ammo during times like these.
Just learned different answers.

Some decided to buy guns in less popular calibers with the hope that during the next ammo shortage it will be available. That works as long as history repeats itself and thousands of other guys don't have the same idea. Still even if it works the price of that ammo is likely to be higher during a shortage even though it is easier to find.

Others decided to simply put up an adequate supply of the caliber of their choice for the next ammo shortage. This is guaranteed to work and allows the person to stock up when prices are low and the hassle factor is low. It does not require history to repeat itself.

I prefer the second option as i see it as being prepared, while the first option is more like preparing to be prepared. Both work though and in actual practice, I imagine hardly anyone commits to only one of the strategies. Diversification is helpful. stock a lot of calibers but I also reload so my only worry is components.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
There are some interesting bullets in all calibers these days, and that includes .40 S&W. The recoil from this 100 grain .40 S&W bullet producing 500 ft. lbs. of energy is going to feel more like a snappy +p 9mm than a typical .40 S&W. The argument can still be made that the BC is less than that of a .355" (9mm) bullet (9mm Parabellum or .357 SIG), but it's still 500 ft. lbs. with very manageable recoil through a light 100-grain bullet that penetrates within FBI guidelines. As a comparison, 125 grain .357 SIG Speer Gold dots are rated at 506 ft. lbs. of energy. A few tenths of an inch in barrel length would literally make a bigger difference than the difference in energy between these specific loads. One of the concerns I have about XD bullets is over penetration (especially on heavier .40 S&W, .45 ACP or 10mm bullets), but the lighter yet wider 100-grain .40 S&W appears to deliver what many might consider ideal ballistics for a self-defense or duty handgun. Whatever ballistic superiority the FBI claimed in its report a few years ago would be insignificant comparing this round (I can almost guarantee there would be no appreciable difference in FBI agents shooting their 9mm's compared to this .40 S&W bullet). Yet, it would likely perform very similar to .357 SIG or .357 Magnum which includes a modest benefit in its failure to incapacitate rate that could be enough to offset the capacity advantage of 9mm (An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power | Buckeye Firearms Association). That doesn't necessarily mean it's better, but it does mean .40 S&W is absolutely still competitive with 9mm. Again, I love 9mm, most of my guns are 9mm, so I am not picking on this round by any means, but .40 S&W is what's getting the bad wrap these days so I thought I'd mention it. It's a great round (as is the wonderful .357 SIG in my opinion). They all are great if you select the right bullet. Yes, shot placement is more important than anything else, period, but that doesn't mean we can't tease out the comparisons and be just as happy with something else while maintaining a diverse cache of firearms in the process. That said, using the money that we might spend on different caliber handguns and ammunition might be better spent on my 9mm ammo for some people. Both approaches are valid.

Reactions: CLASS3NH and MMinSC

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
What ammo shortage? I have a couple thousand rounds of both .40 and .45 available now, and can load unlimited amounts if I run low.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Not many Calibers that I DON'T own, with that, I have a wide variety of options. 40/45/357Sig... Revolver cals, and YES, even the 45 GAP....( I bought a G37 for 200.00 and 750 rnds of GAP ammo for 75.00

·
Registered
478 Posts
Rent one and see how you like it. I did. Although I shot it not long after a P229 in .357, and I remember liking the SIG better. But the latter is a MUCH bigger gun.

I’ve actually never shot a G27. Not sure I’d want to go smaller than the G23, but I hope to get a chance to try one someday.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The only reason I said .40 isn't a good caliber for a range toy is cost. In normal times, range ammo is going to be something like 20% more in .40. It might be worth getting a conversion barrel and 9mm mag for a .40 gun just to save some money on ammo. Just put enough .40 through it so you know how to deal with the slightly added recoil.

In a gun like the p229, I've even discovered that .40 can be fun on the range. It sure does help soak up the recoil a bit compared to something like a G23. Now a subcompact gun? I'm 100% with you there. Wouldn't want to shoot much .40 at all in that frame.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Ohhh. heheh. I got an email from one of the warehouses saying they had 9mm WWB FMJ in 500 round boxes available now! Only 53 cents per round. 53 cents/round for 9mm range ammo??? That's more than double the price it should be. :rolleyes:

61 - 71 of 71 Posts