Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy , does anuone know what police Dept issued the .41 S&W magnum , eithe rthe model 57 or 58, please post , rojo

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
My dept. didn't issue .41 mags, but when I joined back in '83, I carried one. We could carry anything we could qualify with. Mine was a Smith 657 4" which I have to this day.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Neither did my department issue the Model 58, but I carried one during the early '70's with the Erie Lackawanna Railroad Police (now defunct). Back then we could carry what we liked as long as we qualified with it.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
IIRC, when I was a kid, San Francisco P.D. issued the .41 Magnum.

I think the .41 Magnum is a very overlooked, but great round. For handloaders there is a lot of undeveloped potential there.

Biker

·
Registered
181 Posts
I may be wrong, but I think the New Mexico State Police were issued >41's at on time.

It is a fine cartridge, especially if you reload.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
My old dept. still lets officers carry whatever they can qualify with. I carried a 6" mdl. 57 in the mid 80's, for awhile.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I bought one of the San Antonio (TX) PD M58 sixguns after SAPD sold them off. I used it off and on, mostly on, as a duty and CC sixgun during the later half of the 1980's.

SAPD never bought enough M58s for all of their officers. IIRC, the S&W Model 10 was the other issued sixgun during that time.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
While I don't know the model it is reported that before he started carrying a 357 Magnum, Buford Pusser carried a 41 Magnum. He switched to the 357 Magnum after he and his wife were ambushed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts