• #4 Bird Shot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slug

Votes: 3 12.0%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,272 Posts
If it's one of the .45/.410 revolvers I'd skip the .410 completely and carry a good .45 Colt semi-wadcutter load. While it'd be a bummer to be shot with any of those choices offered, none of them give me the warm, fuzzy feeling of possessing truly effective self-defense goodness compared with a standard big-bore revolver round.

·
Super Moderator
20,266 Posts
Good article here: Taurus Judge Ammunition: Feeding the Judge

Given your choices, I elect "none of the above." If forced to choose, I'd go with the Win PDX.

None of the choices seems to be a devastating round. Bird shot, I can state from personal experience, is NOT. The slug is interesting, but the heaviest rifled slug is only 1/4 oz or 109 grains, compared to a .45 Colt load of about 250 grains. The 000 buck sounds interesting, but not with just 4 pellets. What's not listed here is the Federal 3" load with #4 buck, with 9 pellets at 950 ft/sec. Push me into a corner to use a shotshell round, that's what I'd pick.

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
Good article here: Taurus Judge Ammunition: Feeding the Judge

Given your choices, I elect "none of the above." If forced to choose, I'd go with the Win PDX.

None of the choices seems to be a devastating round. Bird shot, I can state from personal experience, is NOT. The slug is interesting, but the heaviest rifled slug is only 1/4 oz or 109 grains, compared to a .45 Colt load of about 250 grains. The 000 buck sounds interesting, but not with just 4 pellets. What's not listed here is the Federal 3" load with #4 buck, with 9 pellets at 950 ft/sec. Push me into a corner to use a shotshell round, that's what I'd pick.
Good points. The PDX seems like a pretty good concept, and the ballistics gel results are good, but it's hard to make any recommendation with so little data. Has anyone ever been shot with .410 PDX? I honestly don't know.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
If it's one of the .45/.410 revolvers I'd skip the .410 completely and carry a good .45 Colt semi-wadcutter load. While it'd be a bummer to be shot with any of those choices offered, none of them give me the warm, fuzzy feeling of possessing truly effective self-defense goodness compared with a standard big-bore revolver round.
Agree. And if it's a shotty, I would think just about anything other than birdshot would be sufficient.

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
Why not the 000? I've not seen the gel results for .410 000 in a pistol, but they've got to be reasonable, no?

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
I chose the .410 Slug and here's why. It's a rather large projectile and I surmise it would do considerable damage. It's all moot tho since I don't own a Judge or a 410 shotty nor would I ever own either. Just a personal thing w/me:blink:

·
Registered
979 Posts
I do not carry my judge, too big for that. But I keep it loaded for in home defense with the PDX1 in the first three chambers followed by two 45 colt hollow points in the last two chambers. If the PDX does not do the job then I feel sure the 45 will finish it. If all else fails I still have my Springfield 1911 with CT laser grips to follow up with. I doubt any bad guy would get past the judge.:brutal7:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks everyone.

i'm carrying a bond arms now and will add a second one as a bug.

both will packing 410 shells for ccw.

i just wanted a consensus as to what everyone else would pack in their guns.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I wish the PDX had an extra disc instead of the birdshot. I think that would be more useful. I vote for maximizing payload on target with buckshot.

Reactions: gun_bushido

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would go with the 45's... Gold Dot 250 gr HP's. They expand really pretty @ 750 fps...at least in gel....another good round would be the 225 gr Buffalo Bore hard cast full wadcutters. Buffalo Bore and others carry +P ammo in colt 45 but not sure if this revolver is rated for the hotter +P loads.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm pretty sure most Judges and other .410/.45LC revolvers don't accept 3" shells... just 2.5"

I could be wrong
correct.

my 3" barrel bond arms will not shoot the 3" shells.

if and when i buy one of the longer barrels, i can shoot the longer ones.

and yes, i know the 45 colt is superior to the 410 shot shell, that's why the poll is on 410s, not including the 45.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
None of the above. This is the bastardized child of an old, nearly forgotten defensive caliber and a niche hunting gun for youth hunters and fairer hunters in skirts.

Stick with a .45LC or a 20ga. slug. If you can haul around a hunk of revolver that big, why not carry a .357, .41, or .44?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
None of the above. This is the bastardized child of an old, nearly forgotten defensive caliber and a niche hunting gun for youth hunters and fairer hunters in skirts.

Stick with a .45LC or a 20ga. slug. If you can haul around a hunk of revolver that big, why not carry a .357, .41, or .44?
Nmuskier, none of the above wasn't a choice. neither were the five other calibers you mentioned.

thanks for your input on my question.

now i know what calibers to load into my 410 derringer that would make me more manly

:35:

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
410 would be at the very bottom of my list of CCs calibers.

I would carry a 22lr auto or rev. before a 410.

On the other hand, if my main worry was snake defense then 410 Bond arms would be a great choice.

YMMV

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
now i know what calibers to load into my 410 derringer that would make me more manly
Carrying a firearm for self defense does not make you a man. Neither does carrying caliber X. Certain rounds are simply ineffective defensive rounds...but that wisdom has already been posted by several members. Sorry I offered an opinion on an opinion poll.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts