Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
143,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Link To bcarmory conversion Click Here

Other interesting stuff at that link also.

460 Rowland Conversions

This cartridge gives your 45 the power of a 44 magnum. The 460 Rowland is a lengthened and beefed up case manufactured by Starline. When loaded to specification, velocities run up to 1550 feet per second using 185 gr. Bullets. Once the barrel is re-chambered for the 460 Rowland you can still shoot 45 ACP in it. The secret is in the compensation of the barrel. Using gas pressure to counter barrel/slide recoil allows you to shoot the higher velocity of the 460 Rowland while preventing damage and allowing faster follow-up shots.

As you can see by the close-up photos the brass is a bit longer than standard 45 ACP. You can still load using your 45 ACP die set-up. Just adjust the bell die and crimp die to the new longer brass length. Overall length is the same. Still fits the 1911 magazine so no frame modifications or changes are needed.

Cost to convert your 45 to 460 Rowland is $300.00 plus shipping. This includes installing and fitting a BC Armory compensator to your gun and rechambering your barrel.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Ive read of this but not sure if it will go anywhere .. rember the 400 corbon or 45 super?

Anymore if i want 44 mag power from something itll be a 44 Mag wheelie or DE..

i know they say when comped etc etc there will be no frame damage but the Delta elites has some problems and colt made the whole gun Not just a conversion kit .. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I'm somewhat with Bud here - keep old slabsides as intended - need more power - change platform!!

How 'bout a Coonan LOL - or .50 D'Eagle :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
22,132 Posts
Well said, Bud.

·
Administrator
143,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gulp!

No 460 Rowland Fer U Guys? :wink:

·
Registered
940 Posts
I figure I'm close enough with a passel of actual .44s, including my DE, and the .357 Sig.

And with the Sig, I get 13+1 instead of 8+1 ;)

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I've "looked into these" although never bought one. You can get them from Gunbroker and others for $229ish. Bbl with comp installed with the longer chamber. Recoil spring that is ultra heavy and a couple of other parts to lessen the impact/torque on the frame of your 1911. This is supposed to be a "drop in kit",although I've never heard if it really is.My main concern was what will a couple of hundered .460 Rowland pressured rounds "actually" do to the frame of a Colt 1911 ?? Also,what is the actual hunting accuracy like? I'm sure it would be accurate enough for CCW.Although double taps would be out of the ?. Remember the .451 Detonics??---------

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
Some time ago I checked into this conversion. It's offered by Clark Custom and I was told by Kay Clark that it will do no damage to a good 1911 frame as long as you use a 28# recoil spring.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
But a 28# spring slammin' forward ?? I would be interested if anybody has had expierence with the conversion. Is it really drop in ?? I still got a 1911 frame or two sittin' around collecting dust. Might be a interesting build.--------

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a concern about this conversion. The .45ACP headspaces on the casemouth. If the barrel needs to be rechambered for the longer .460 Rowland how can you still shoot .45ACP and have the correct headspace? Or am I missing something?

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
Brian - It's a barrel change out. You have to change barrels to shoot the 460.

It needs to be fitted to your gun, then swap out the barrel and the recoil spring to shoot the heavier cartridge.

·
Administrator
143,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I remember reading

about a couple of gun writers that pushed 45acp velocity up to 44 Mag speeds using Mil Surplus Steel Cartridge Cases.
I think they had problems with premature unlocking and some frame battering due to no "heavy enough" recoil springs being available at the time. Stuck cases were also a problem...but, remember that they were playing around with a standard .45 acp barrel & no real changes to the operating system of the standard box stock .45 pistol.

·
Registered
195 Posts
acparmed said:
Brian - It's a barrel change out. You have to change barrels to shoot the 460.

It needs to be fitted to your gun, then swap out the barrel and the recoil spring to shoot the heavier cartridge.

Thanks. That the part I was missing. It makes sense now.
I will stick to the .45 ACP, but it is interesting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts