Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Nice find! :3a:

.44 Mag is my pistol of choice for bear defense. Convenient and shootable.

I am currently messing around with .41 Magnum ammo, too. Given the slight difference in the cartridges (.410 vs .429), I expect a well-stoked .41 would be a reasonable choice, too. 'Reasonable' meaning 'better than a sharp stick'.

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
Bear meat and moose meat yum.
I wonder in a situation like that after the wardens call it a good kill can you keep the bear meat?
Heck can you keep the skin? I would want that as a rug in my home.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Thanks for sharing the article. I lived in Alaska for 15 years and loved hunting, fishing, hiking. Ultimately, 8-weeks of summer and 7 consecutive months with snow on the ground became un-"bear"-able and I moved back south. My preferred sidearm was a Taurus Raging Bull.454 Casull with hard cast, wide meplat 320 grain bullets. Basically, it is a belt carried .45-70 wheelgun.

It is fact that .44 Mags have defensively taken several brown/grizzly bears. As mentioned above, it is all about shot placement and penetration.

Although 9mm worked here, it wouldn't be my preferred choice...

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/8/10/alaska-outfitter-defends-fishermen-from-raging-grizzly-with-9mm-pistol/

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
I don't have many bears to worry about here. I had a friend who had a small ranch in Alaska and he always carried a 12 gauge with Brenneke slugs.

Reactions: muzzleblast

·
Registered
671 Posts
...I wonder in a situation like that after the wardens call it a good kill can you keep the bear meat?
Heck can you keep the skin? I would want that as a rug in my home...
If he had a valid brown/grizzly bear tag... and since he wasn't hunting over a "baited" gut pile... then, yes. Otherwise, he would have been legally obligated to surrender the hide, skull, and claws to the AK Dept. of Fish and Game.

As far as the "meat", bear meat is not generally considered as edible (unlike moose, caribou, sheep, goat, deer, etc.) A coastal bear that has been feeding on salmon is actually remarkably nasty. On the other hand, an inland bear that has been feeding on the low-bush blueberries is a delicacy.

·
Registered
918 Posts
If he had a valid brown/grizzly bear tag... and since he wasn't hunting over a "baited" gut pile... then, yes. Otherwise, he would have been legally obligated to surrender the hide, skull, and claws to the AK Dept. of Fish and Game.

As far as the "meat", bear meat is not generally considered as edible (unlike moose, caribou, sheep, goat, deer, etc.) A coastal bear that has been feeding on salmon is actually remarkably nasty. On the other hand, an inland bear that has been feeding on the low-bush blueberries is a delicacy.

Having taken a bear (lawfully, in season, with a license, etc), and having gone to the trouble of dressing out the bear and harvesting the meat properly, all I will say is that I will never go to so much trouble for such a disappointment at the table. Smelly, greasy, foul tasting, aftertaste lasting for hours. Just plain nasty! I will allow others to correct my perceptions, but I will never go out of my way to harvest a bear again.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Well, sure, a 44 mag might kill a bear but, will only give you a lot of recoil and flash and make follow up shots difficult.
With today's modern ballistic magic a 9mm will essentially do the same, in fact, no bears have ever been able to distinguish the difference.
Shot placement and follow up shots matter more than caliber.
:duh:
:gah:
heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend.

·
Super Moderator
16,410 Posts
Well, sure, a 44 mag might kill a bear but, will only give you a lot of recoil and flash and make follow up shots difficult.
With today's modern ballistic magic a 9mm will essentially do the same, in fact, no bears have ever been able to distinguish the difference.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Reactions: tns0038 and drmordo

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Hey forester.....you have grizzlies up in your area.....what are you carrying for protection?

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hey forester.....you have grizzlies up in your area.....what are you carrying for protection?
Well, I will likely get flamed but, I carry a 5" GP100 357 magnum loaded with 200 grain hardcast lead. Why? because all kidding aside shot placement extremely quickly and as much penetration as my choice can muster is what I (hope) will be sufficient. As an aside I always carry bear spray as well and if my hands are free a Remington 870 loaded with Brenneke black magic slugs. Unfortunately, most times my hands are not free to tote the 12 gauge. It lives under the seat of my truck mostly.

Just last month a woman I sometimes work with stopped on the road and jumped into the trees below the road to pee and when she came back up on the road there was a Grizzly standing next to the drivers door. Smart lady still had her bear spray on her belt and gave him a blast. It worked at least long enough for her to get back in and drive off. I never even leave my truck without it working here.

·
Registered
34,697 Posts

How about a bear who has fed on slow hunters?

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Well, I will likely get flamed but, I carry a 5" GP100 357 magnum loaded with 200 grain hardcast lead. Why? because all kidding aside shot placement extremely quickly and as much penetration as my choice can muster is what I (hope) will be sufficient. As an aside I always carry bear spray as well and if my hands are free a Remington 870 loaded with Brenneke black magic slugs. Unfortunately, most times my hands are not free to tote the 12 gauge. It lives under the seat of my truck mostly.

Just last month a woman I sometimes work with stopped on the road and jumped into the trees below the road to pee and when she came back up on the road there was a Grizzly standing next to the drivers door. Smart lady still had her bear spray on her belt and gave him a blast. It worked at least long enough for her to get back in and drive off. I never even leave my truck without it working here.
I won’t flame you for those answers. Hope you never have to use either one. Kudos to your lady friend. Gives me shivers.....

Reactions: forester58

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Reactions: OldVet

·
Registered
92 Posts
I’ve been shooting the .44 Magnum for many, many years. I also hunt with it and have taken several deer and even a very small bear with the .44 Magnum. I would be crapping nickels if I saw that thing coming towards me! If I were to ever be hunting where grizzlies or brown bears might be encountered, I’d probably be packing something like the .454! LOL

·
Registered
671 Posts
Reactions: Struckat
1 - 20 of 31 Posts