Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just inherited a bunch of handloaded 44spl ammo ffrom my deceased father, who was "into" reloading. I was many years ago, and look forward to getting back to it. My question is: Can one use 44 spl ammo in a 44 mag handgun?
Many thanks for some info.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Yep.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Yes you can shoot .44 Special through a .44 Mag. The casing on the .44 Mag is about .125" longer than the .44 Special. The .44 Special rounds will load into a .44 Mag revolver but not the other way around.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks guys, now to find a .44 Mag revolver to shoot this stuff through. I do have the dies for the Spl. and LOTS of brass. Not much into .44 Mags, but I read an article saying the .44 Spl was a pretty good defensive cart without the bone jarring blast of the .44 Mag.

·
Super Moderator
17,314 Posts
Since you have the dies you can load both 44spl and 44mag just adjust the expanding and the seating dies out a little farther to accommodate the difference in length, same same as reloading 38spl and 357mag with 38spl dies.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
44 spl is a way under estimated round. When loaded properly it makes a great hunting round. Most 44 spl I have ever shot were very accurate. Smith & Wesson has some very nice 44 spl. This would be a good excuse to get a single action revolver. Ruger is offering the Blackhawk in 44 spl.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
You guys that have a .44 Mag already have a .44 Special. No need to go out and buy .44 Special ammo or brass. Just load a .44 Mag case down to Special velocities. It will be even more accurate than the pure .44 Special.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts