Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that shoot .40 cal do you shoot 165 or 155? I'm not sure I want 180s because its for a Kahr PM40 and I want as little recoil as possible. And for the .45s do you guys shoot 230, 200, or 185? It's for a SIG 220.

In have only shot ball ammo through both guns and need to get some JHPs. I'll be getting 50 rd boxes of Fed Hydra in both calibers from cheaperthandirt.com. It's a very good price and I liked the 124 Hydras in mY GLOCK. I'm thinking 165 for the Kahr and 185+P for the SIG. I've only put 230s through the SIG and I feel the recoil may be a little too brisk for a carry round and want something I can make followup shots with faster and more accurately.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Right now I'm using 200 grain Hornady Xtp's Why 200 because everybody was out of 230 grain Xtp's Good thing is its a hornady load and shoots to point of aim

But typically ill shoot 230 in my 45 why 230? because most 45's are sighted in with 230

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
lol I shoot 124 or so in 9mm and 230 in .45 i never really put much thought into .40 but thinking about it i suspect i would go with 165s . if i want lighter than that and faster i would get a 9mm or .357 sig , if i wanted much heavyer i would get a .45 .. I should note that so far i have found no reason to hang onto any .40 I just have too many other guns , and its not a deathray lol .

·
Registered
10 Posts
My S&W Mod 646 is dead on with 180 grainers. The 646 shoots close enough at combat distances for 155 grain projectiles (Winchester Ranger). I don't feel at any disadvantage with either load.

My SA Compact LW is fed Pow'RBall 165 grains.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Lol bud i just dont see the utility of it , recoil and torque is objectionable to me when compaired to 9 or .45 ( one or both of which it is designed to emulate ) I just dont personaly care for it .. others may .. I also have over the years grown out of a lot of formerly held opinions .

( now ill don my flame suit lol )

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Redneck Repairs said:
Lol bud i just dont see the utility of it , recoil and torque is objectionable to me when compaired to 9 or .45 ( one or both of which it is designed to emulate ) I just dont personaly care for it .. others may .. I also have over the years grown out of a lot of formerly held opinions .

( now ill don my flame suit lol )

i pretty much feel as you do on it so don't feel bad I'm no where near impressed with the 40 Short and Weak

·
Registered
137 Posts
In my full-size 1911, I carry either Hydrashok in 230gr or Ranger SXT (preferred) also in 230 gr. In my 4" Kimber Compact, I use 185gr +P Remington Golden Sabres.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Shoot both 185 and 230 gr out of my 45 not much difference between them. Shoot 165gr out of the 40 because it hates 155s. All ammo is Remington Golden Sabers.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there a difference in recoil between 230,200, and 185s for the .45? I have heard the 230s have slightly more recoil. I feel I might need to improve my accuracy with a lighter load and built up to the 230s or maybe just shoot alot of the 230s until I get used to it.

I have noticed I'm flinching and twisting the SIG 220 a little and I bet this is my only problem and the 230s are dead accurate. I noticed this because I also shoot my Ruger MKII every week and I realized I was twitching with the .22.

It's amazing how many flaws in your technique you discover when you shoot several different guns at each range session.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
75 Personally I will say I can tell the diff ( on factory loadings ) between 185 and 230 grn. Neither is a problem , and for myself I shoot the 230 , but 185 would do the same thing , with prob less felt recoil .
Again ... pick your cal , pick a load you can shoot , then quit reading the cal questions online ... all are going to work the same ( under stress you cant shoot good enough to pick up that fabled 9mm rapid fire advantage ) and under stress the shot you place wont be close enough for any supposed caliber advantage either .. sorry but they will all work well if you do your part , and if you don't , well then the best place to be is right here talking about it instead of doing it LOL

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Seems to me the lighter wts recoil a bit less , but may just be me.

(bent outta shape due to the .40 bashing, J/K.:danceban: )

·
Registered
791 Posts
I use 180 grain Ranger Ts in my Glock 23. I'd go with the heavier in the .45 too, but that's just personal preference.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I shoot 230gr in my 45 and 180gr in my 40. I have found in both of these calibers the lighter bullets have a sharper recoil. Not bad mind you but I can tell a difference. The best advice any of us can give you is to try them all yourself and choose that which works best for you.
Mike

·
Registered
137 Posts
Is there a difference in recoil between 230,200, and 185s for the .45?
I haven't noticed any difference. If you are having trouble with flinching, start dry firing. That's going to help you much more than changing ammo.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
/Course since your shooting them in a sig which I'm guessing isn't the full stainless version you will feel some difference than in a full steel 1911 i only notice the 185+p's in my Hk which is quite a bit lighter than a 1911

And yes if its Flinching dry fire will do you a lot better than anything else

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do dry fire and shoot my Ruger MKII. Both have helped me improve my shooting with the 220. I notice the 124 grain Hydrashoks to have less recoil in my GLOCK 26 than any of the range ammo. So maybe the 230 Hydras will have less recoil than 230 WWB.

I guess there's nothing better than range time and I need to shoot my than 100 rounds before I start to worry about changing weights. Given that 230s are pretty much the standard in .45 and it doesn't hurt (just a little brisk).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts