Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have anymore load data on this? I have two sources of load data and they are way different. I would like to load them as hot as I safely can for defense type load purposes. Here are the two published sourses. Hornady 8th and Hodgdon website. I know start low and work up. I just thought these two references where way different.

What do yall think?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Yeah, big difference in fps.
You need to get that chrony. See what it does out of your pistol with your OAL. :yup:

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, big difference in fps.
You need to get that chrony. See what it does out of your pistol with your OAL. :yup:
Yep I know it is getting higher and higher on my list all the time.
I did just go and shoot some of my 38 loads for the first time. They where great. Here is a pic of my target. Shots where at 20 yards off hand. The big wad in the middle where double and the top where single action.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
375 Posts
Two different reference sources using two different bullets and likely two different testing methods.
Your using a specific bullet. One source has data for that specific bullet.
That's the source I would use.

Maybe you can contact Hodgdon to see if they have specific data for the bullet you intend to use.

Sent via Tapatalk from somewhere in a distant bunker.

Reactions: Stevew

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking of just going with the Hornady data. I just thought it was interesting. It is however the same exact bullet with the same overall length in both load tables. Both options show basically the same FPS but almost a grain difference between the 2 max loads.
Two different reference sources using two different bullets and likely two different testing methods.
Your using a specific bullet. One source has data for that specific bullet.
That's the source I would use.

Maybe you can contact Hodgdon to see if they have specific data for the bullet you intend to use.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Not trying to start an argument here but the photos you posted show two different bullets and two different OAL's.
Just pointing out inconsistencies between the photos and your statement.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the Hornady book does show two different bullets, the XTP and the Hornady JSWC. The Hodgdon website only list one. It's the Hornady JSWC. Both load tables list COL for the Hornady SWC at 1.135. So in theory both tables should cross reference. Either way I'll probably start around 8 grains and work my way up. Here is where a chrono that I don't have would sure come in handy.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
You will note that multiple sources of info will vary with the same bullet weights, primers, etc. You have to chrono your loads and
see what data works for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts