Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am considering switching to 45 acp for carry. I’m curious about the Glock 30. Would like to hear from owners about the recoil compared to an alloy framed compact 1911 and other polymer pistols. I only have experience with 9mm Glocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
33,776 Posts
I own a Glock 21. Its stock recoil is much more robust than that of my .45 Shields.

The Shield recoil is slightly more noticeable than that of a Glock 17/19.

I own all four, and the Shield is pretty much all I carry anymore.

·
Registered
33,964 Posts
My G30 gives more of a push than the snap of some other calibers. Although my aging wrist will complain after extensive shooting, 100 rounds or so, I don't consider the recoil as harsh by any means.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
I own a 30S, a 21, and a Shield 45. I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, so I'm probably not who you want to hear from.

The 30S is, IMHO, one of the great carry pistols of all time.

So is the Shield 45.

My 21 does home defense duty loaded with 45 Supers.

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
I carry a 30sf. Felt recoil is less than my steel frame 1911.

·
Premium Member
33,776 Posts
I own a 30S, a 21, and a Shield 45. I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, so I'm probably not who you want to hear from.

So is the Shield 45.

Honestly, the Shield made its way up to edc duties by virtue of slimness as much as anything else. I've had to switch to AIWB exclusively awhile ago, and it makes for a bit easier hide with normal-fitting shirts. It sacrifices nothing in accuracy compared to its larger counterparts, while it does cut capacity.

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
Is the SF any lighter than the standard 30? What Generation is yours?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It’s a gen 3. I’ve never weighed it, if it is lighter it wouldn’t be a noticeable amount. The only difference between the SF and standard 30(gen 3) frame is that it’s narrower from front to back. The Gen 4 is essentially an SF size frame that includes backstaps to make it thicker if you want. The 30s has a 36 slide and is narrower and lighter, but the barrel is thinner so if you want to do any caliber conversions it’s not so easy.

Also, here is a fun fact. I hear that 1911s are narrow and the glock 30 is bulky all the time. My Glock 30 frame, from side to side at the grip is narrower than my 1911. The big difference is the measurement from the back strap to the trigger which is much longer on the G30. People say the G30 is too big to carry. I’m not a very big guy, but I find it extremely easy to carry and shoot. Of all the guns I’ve carried over the years it is by far my favorite.

·
Registered
7,859 Posts

So is the Shield 45.

Did you change your barrel and recoil spring for the supers?

Reactions: OldChap

·
Premium Member
33,776 Posts
I did, then I soon changed it back to standard springs. The .45 Supers, even with the heavier RSA, hammer the gun. I was launching brass thirty-plus feet.

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
I did, then I soon changed it back to standard springs. The .45 Supers, even with the heavier RSA, hammer the gun. I was launching brass thirty-plus feet.
I hadn’t heard of that happening before. That’s good to know. I’ve been wanting to get either a 20 or 21 so I’ll keep that in mind if I decide to run supers through it, or my 30.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
What weight spring(s) did you use? Curious as some others have said it worked well but, I have no idea what they meant by "well" either.

Buffalo Bore recommends 4 to 6 pounds over stock.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
Yes. I'm using a standard length Alpha Wolf barrel, and I went up (IIRC) 2 pounds of spring on a stainless steel guide rod. The nice thing about it is I can shoot Supers and if I need more than two mags for reloads, I can just go to standard 45. I haven't needed to change back on the recoil spring setup for defense loads. I might need to change it back for ball ammo.

The supersonic 230 grain Supers feel quite a bit more...healthy than a standard 230, but I leave one mag loaded with 230's and have been loading 185 Underwood's in the gun and the rest of the spare mags with the 185.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collections/handgun-ammo/products/45-super-185-grain-xtp-jacketed-hollow-point?variant=18785711456313

I have been itching to try out some of these monsters:

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collections/handgun-ammo/products/45-super-120-grain-xtreme-defender?variant=18785700249657

·
Premium Member
33,776 Posts
What weight spring(s) did you use? Curious as some others have said it worked well but, I have no idea what they meant by "well" either.

Buffalo Bore recommends 4 to 6 pounds over stock.
It's been awhile, but I'm thinking it's a 28-pounder.

Reactions: forester58

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
I have a Glock 30 that is my primary HD gun. It is a great shooting gun! Its a tad bulky for EDC for me though! The Shield is an excellent EDC gun in .45 acp! I have one in 9 mm that shares EDC duties with my fairly recently purchased Sig P-365. I completely agree with Mike1956 the Shield .45 shoots much softer than many larger .45's!

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
I have a 30SF - I dislike the gap between magazine base and frame; other than that, its good. Would be a likely 1st pick under a 10 round limit.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
The difference between a fully loaded LW Commander and a fully loaded Glock is negligible at best.

However, as can be seen, the Glock pictured here is similar in all dimensions except thickness.
701D9DCF-B135-49CB-9E44-BDC89ECB9148.jpeg

But the thickness of even this 9mm Glock is greater than the Colt aluminum framed Commander.
B823DE43-7387-4907-9645-8CB3AEE2ADD7.jpeg

If you compare the Colt to a 45 caliber Glock, it is even thicker.

For this reason alone, I prefer to carry the 1911. Then of course there is the looks and trigger factor.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I own a Glock 21. Its stock recoil is much more robust than that of my .45 Shields.

The Shield recoil is slightly more noticeable than that of a Glock 17/19.

I own all four, and the Shield is pretty much all I carry anymore.
Agreed, if someone is looking to carry a .45 the, Shield .45 is a great carry option.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts