Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Shooting my G30 is predictable and manageable. It has the stock springs and eats everything that it is given. It is small enough and light enough to EDC in most circumstances.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I currently only own four 45acp pistols. Of the four I carry the 45 shield the most now by far. Before that I carried the G30S exclusively for a couple years. The standard G30 is a pretty soft shooter, noticeably softer than other 45’s in that size. The G30S has a little more felt recoil than the G30 do to the thinner slide but its a trade off for having the thinner and lighter slide. The G30S has the same gen 3 sf frame as the G30sf. I don’t know what voodoo s&w did with the 45 shield but it shoots like a larger gun. I swear sometimes the shield’s recoil feels less than my G30S. However the G30/G30S is an better all around gun just for the simple fact you can put a 13 round factory mag in and use it for home defense, essentially turning it into a G30X with a mag sleeve. And if you’re really feeling froggy you can slap a Kriss Vector mag extension on you factory 13 round mags and you now have 30 rounds of 45 acp. If carry is the primary purpose though I would definitely take a look at the shield as I think the 45 is the best version of the shield.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
There are several good choices, but I have to recommend the S&W Shield chambered for .45 ACP. I've carried one daily (formerly carried H&K USP Compact) since they arrived on the market. With the exception of the follower issue they had on the first version of their magazines - the recoil would cause the mag to drop out - I've not experienced one malfunction in over 2000+ rounds down range. This .45 subcompact is light, is the narrowest of all such pistols available today (so there is VERY minimal printing), and eats anything you feed it. Slip on some Hogue grips and add the luminous sights of your choice, and brother, you are good to go. Seriously. You can certainly spend more, but you cannot buy better shootability and reliability in a subcompact of that caliber. That's my two cents.

·
Registered
807 Posts
No one has mentioned Revolvers, but if a wheelgun is your cup of tea, there is the Charter Arms Pitbull. Cheap and reliable
I EDC a 325 Thunder Ranch, took off the under lug and it's a 6 round 45 acp that weighs about the same as my G19.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Might also look at a Gen 5 G30. I believe they slimmed down the frame, no longer needing the SF versions, and went to the replaceable back straps. I have a G19 Gen 5 and EDC it without any back straps. One of the things I had trouble with on earlier Glocks was the thick frame.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
if you carry a 45 it should be IMO a `1911 :)

2 Face Palms.jpg

You can always tell the guys carrying the 1911's. Their pants sag on one side. Seriously...I carry one now and then and that is exactly what happens to me - even with the best gun belt on the planet. :embarassed:

·
Registered
404 Posts
He also carried a Detonic's Combat Master. :wink:
Yes he did, in addition to a SIG P220 in the pilot episode and a Detonics Pocket 9 for his BUG for a show or two...

Love Miami Vice, one of my favorite 3 TV shows of all time (along with 24 and Justified). My favorite episodes - Evan and Where the Buses Don't Run, followed by One Way Ticket.

Sorry for side tracking this thread...

·
Super Moderator
21,913 Posts
Yes he did, in addition to a SIG P220 in the pilot episode and a Detonics Pocket 9 for his BUG for a show or two...

Love Miami Vice, one of my favorite 3 TV shows of all time (along with 24 and Justified). My favorite episodes - Evan and Where the Buses Don't Run, followed by One Way Ticket.

Sorry for side tracking this thread...
The pistol he carried in the pilot episode was a Browning BDA (heel magazine release). :wink:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have shot many .45's. My tricked out Gold Cup , with target loads (SWC) is as accurate as any pistol in it's weight class. 39.5 oz.
Now comes my SIG P227 Nitron Carry... at 30 oz. Undoubtedly the most accurate pistol out of the box , that I've ever shot . ( tied with my Python)
After hundreds of rounds thru it, reliability is unmatched ... 20 rounds will knock the 9 & 10 ring OUT of a 50 yd. small bore rifle target.(that is at a 15 yd. Pistol Target distance)

Mid weight Pistols...When U get a good one, show it love, and take it with you, wherever U go.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I say yes, to the .45acp for EDC. Why? Cause it's "my" EDC. :vs_lol:

Sure, I have 9mm's that I enjoy carrying from time to time but NONE of them compares to my .45's to me. My EDC is the HK 45c pictured below. Sometimes I carry it as a 8+1 w/2 extra 8 rd mags (as pictured below L) or, I may carry it as a 12+1 w/2 extra 12 rd mags (as pictured below R) which give me 37 rds for of .45 ACP for personal defense. I'm a tall fella so the weight of the .45 and the ammo balances out nicely-not heavy to me at all!

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I have both the G30 Gen 4 and a G30S. Both are great shooters, super accurate and reliable. Both carry well, but the 30S carries best. I often carry my G30S on duty when I’m in a .45 mood.

Neither has much recoil, and the G30 has less recoil than the G30S because it’s about 3 or 4 ounces heavier.

Fully loaded with 10 (I don’t +1 my GLOCKs) 230 gr. chunks of burning love, that G30S weighs 40

You will be very happy if you get that G30. Most folks like ‘em a lot.
For some reason it would not let me edit. But what I was trying to say was that G30S weighs 30 oz. fully loaded.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Am considering switching to 45 acp for carry. I’m curious about the Glock 30. Would like to hear from owners about the recoil compared to an alloy framed compact 1911 and other polymer pistols. I only have experience with 9mm Glocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I own and often carry a Gen 4 Glock 30. I can't make the comparisons you are asking about but I think it's enough to say that a person of normal capability should not have a recoil management problem with the Glock 30. It's an easy shooter, it conceals and carries well, it's a good choice if you want 45 cal.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I had a Glock 30S around five years ago. Did my usual Glock mods (trigger assembly, spring, connector, polishing, sights) and just could not shoot the thing worth a damn. I'm sure it was me and not the gun. But I sold it and bought an M&P 40c and installed the Apex Tactical DCAEK but kept the stock OEM trigger spring. One of my best carry guns and very accurate.

Reactions: Fallsrider and OD*
41 - 60 of 91 Posts