Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just switched my press over to 45 Colt.
I'm starting with 255gr bullets over 5.0grs of Titegroup. I'm shooting for somewhere around 750 FPS, which is supposedly what my Fiocchi CAS loads shoot at. I will chrony a few factory loads, then mine. Maybe I'll load a few more first. I don't want to be like Barney and head out back with one cartridge :wink:

I'm going to have to point the gun at the ground and pull the trigger with this load, 'cuz there sure ain't a lot of powder in there. TG is supposed to be non-position sensitive though. We shall see...

Attachments

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One of these times I'm going to get close to what the book says and faint.
The latest Hornady manual was nowhere close to what I actually got. Instead of 750 FPS, I was down around 605. Funny thing was, the factory Fiocchi was also close to that at 610. Not the 750 they claim. I'll give them a break though, as they don't say revolver or rifle. My Hornady manual specifically said pistol. Maybe they used a Buntline for testing. I was using a 7-1/2" Schofield clone.

I tried some at 5.4grs and got up to 650 FPS. I think I'll split the difference and load a bunch at 5.2 and see how they do accuracy-wise. Try them out of the carbine, too. No leading to speak of and I didn't see any unburnt powder. A snake got my bore mirror shiny again.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
For what purpose are these loads intended, PA? If you want CAS ammo, it seems like you are good to go. For a little more horsepower, I would be tempted to ditch the Titegroup for a slower powder.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For what purpose are these loads intended, PA? If you want CAS ammo, it seems like you are good to go. For a little more horsepower, I would be tempted to ditch the Titegroup for a slower powder.
Yep, CAS loads and plinking.
I still might go to a slower, bulkier powder. I was hoping to use my Quick Measure, but it won't dial down lower than 6.2 grs of TG. I'm not loading a bunch, but I didn't want to have to scoop and trickle each load...
From early testing though the TG seems pretty clean and is burning well. It's a LOT cleaner than the Clays I am using in my 38 Special CAS loads.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
TG is what I use for plinking and Cowboy loads. But I shoot a 160 grain bullet. The paper targets don't even notice the 100 grain difference! I have not run them over a crono to see what they do but it is an accurate load that hasn't failed to knock down any steel targets yet! Good luck DR

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TG is what I use for plinking and Cowboy loads. But I shoot a 160 grain bullet. The paper targets don't even notice the 100 grain difference! I have not run them over a crono to see what they do but it is an accurate load that hasn't failed to knock down any steel targets yet! Good luck DR
How many grains are you loading, DR?

·
Premium Member
5,742 Posts
I actually use 2400 for my 45 Colt loads. I keep them midrange and the 2400 gives me very consistent and reproducible results.

I went to all X-treme plated bullets for everything but my Charter Arms Bulldog 44 special. Give that a shot (pun intended) if the spirit moves you, PA.

·
Super Moderator
20,167 Posts
It's odd - for some cartridges, the Hornady book shows some pretty hot loads, with velocities above what other source publish, and then some other loads show up as ultra conservative.

The Lee manual publishes a lot of data which is not necessarily their own but rather a compilation of what's "out there." The Lee data helps me put upper and lower boundaries on what to expect from a given recipe.

I load a LOT of Titegroup as it meters really well, and the light charges means it's economical. For my action shooting with .45 and 9mm, it's pretty close to perfect. But for the revolver cartridges, albeit not powder-puff loads, I find it has an annoyingly sharp recoil characteristic which likely results from its fast burn rate. I've taken to loading Unique for the .38 and .44 Specials, and I'm quite happy with the results. This might be obvious to some, but the warmer the load with Unique, the cleaner it seems to burn.

·
Registered
21,342 Posts
If I was you, I'd just trash them big ol slow movin bullets..didn't ya get the memo that if they ain't magnumized they ain't no good?

Heck, my brother shot a big doe last year at 15 yards and it just bounced right off:)
True story! You just read it on the inet:)

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I just switched my press over to 45 Colt.
I'm starting with 255gr bullets over 5.0grs of Titegroup. I'm shooting for somewhere around 750 FPS, which is supposedly what my Fiocchi CAS loads shoot at. I will chrony a few factory loads, then mine. Maybe I'll load a few more first. I don't want to be like Barney and head out back with one cartridge :wink:

I'm going to have to point the gun at the ground and pull the trigger with this load, 'cuz there sure ain't a lot of powder in there. TG is supposed to be non-position sensitive though. We shall see...
We're all hoping you'll line 'em up along the kitchen window sill to cool-off, PA, just like Granny (not Shooter Granny) used to do with her apple pies.

That would be very sweet ! :smile:

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I was you, I'd just trash them big ol slow movin bullets..didn't ya get the memo that if they ain't magnumized they ain't no good?

Heck, my brother shot a big doe last year at 15 yards and it just bounced right off:)
True story! You just read it on the inet:)
I have already made a mental note not to shoot any frying pans with them. :wink:

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
For CAS loads in .45 Colt I used Red Dot, mostly because I had an 8lb keg from reloading shotgun.

6.5 grains under a 250 cast gave me just under 800 FPS in my 5 1/2" Colt SAA and 750 in my 4 3/4"

Cool side effect was it even smoked a little.........

Back when I started shooting CAS and they used "calibrated" steel knockdowns at just about every stage to keep the loads honest, the 250 at about 800 had zero issues taking them down.

Chuck

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, I think I'll try some Unique and maybe some 700X.
Even though I'm pushing a heavy bullet, I feel there is excessive recoil in my handguns. And these are big heavy handguns. I'm also not happy with my ES. For weighing each load individually I am getting too much variance. Which could be a result of other things, but I'm betting on the nature of Titegroup. Or possibly the lack of volume is affecting ignition.

FWIW, 5.2grs of TG is giving me:
900 fps, 16" Winchester Trapper
730 fps 8" Remington Conversion
625 fps 7" Schofield

I'm thinking that Schofield is losing too much velocity. Maybe the cylinder gap is too large or something. Not a good test gun.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just tried Unique in the Schofield.
5.7grs, which the book says should give me 750 fps, gave me 511 :blink: No wonder felt recoil was pretty darn light.
Bumped it up to 6.2 and got 568 fps... which is still incredibly slow, but if my numbers from above hold true I should be pushing 668 out of my 1858 Remington, which isn't too bad I guess for a plinking load. And it was pleasant to shoot. It's not like I could see the bullet either, lol.
More importantly, it shot pretty darn straight :yup:
Three shots at eight yds.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I loaded some 45 Colt with 5.5grns Hogdon's Trail Boss under a 255 soft cast bullet. I got an average of 698fps with a spread of +/- 8fps from a 4 5/8" Blackhawk.
Recoil was very pleasant, more of a push than a kick. Not sure on how clean/dirty they'll be because I only shot 10 rounds.

One nice thing about Trail Boss is the case was 3/4 full. No chance of a double charge that way.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I loaded some 45 Colt with 5.5grns Hogdon's Trail Boss under a 255 soft cast bullet. I got an average of 698fps with a spread of +/- 8fps from a 4 5/8" Blackhawk.
Recoil was very pleasant, more of a push than a kick. Not sure on how clean/dirty they'll be because I only shot 10 rounds.

One nice thing about Trail Boss is the case was 3/4 full. No chance of a double charge that way.
That's a decent velocity out of a short barrel.

I have been loading 4.2 grains of TG under the 160 grain lead bullet. This has been a great plinking round both in my revolvers and the Marlin carbine. I have even taken a few bunny's with it from the carbine. DR
I still may end up using a lighter bullet. I also have some 200 gr cowboy bullets.
Once I find a load I like with the 255's I'll try the lighter bullets. Then make a choice for a bulk order.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
45 Colt is one of my favorite cartridges. It's very versatile.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Don't have a ton to add since I don't have a 45 colt but hey I love reloading threads.
And hey great group at 8 yards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 40 Posts