Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum and to CC. I have my Washington CPP and a CK 75 and am considering some form of compact pistol in .45 GAP. I have smallish hands so am impressed with what I read about smaller grips possible with the .45 GAP.

Have any of you had any experiencee with a .45 GAP pistol, and if so, what gun do you recommend...assuming that you do recommend buying this smaller .45?

Thanks for the info and help.

·
Super Moderator
24,786 Posts
Welcome from North Texas, flying hog! I used to tell my kids they could do something dangerous, silly, or stupid, etc. ONLY "When Pigs Fly!" They would have loved to see your nom de plume!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Anyway, I won't opine on your question. I shoot that "wimpy" 9mm stuff, ya know....., but welcome to CC!

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Welcome from Idaho Flyinghog

·
Registered
940 Posts
I wouldn't recommend the cartridge in general unless you're a big reloader - there's a question as to whether it's going to be around or adopted in any quantity.

Witness the many cartridges that come and go every year - and this may well be one of them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Welcome,

I have .45 ACP because IMO its cheaper and easier to find. I couldn't tell you about ballistics.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Gotta agree w/ rfurtkamp . no idea how long the GAP may be readily avalible.

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Welcome Hog :smilez:

I too would not get involved with this cal - not because it is especially inadequate but it needs a dedicated platform and - I somewhat doubt it will ever be readily available like the old fave's.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Welcome to the forum.....one of the best ideas to come on the heels of this cartridge is the downsized Springfield Armory 1911's. They are reduced in sized to fit around the GAP cartridge. I don't know if they hit the market yet though, but I first heard about the guns on Guns & Ammo magazine.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I would think long and hard before investing in this caliber. Personally I feel it will not be on the market in five years, after that good luck finding ammo.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I have a Glock 37 in 45GAP and am very happy with the Gun and round. It is a pleasure to shoot and always very accurate. However the advice given by the others here is worth listening to. Check your area to see the availability of ammo for it. I have to mail order ammo and that can be hit or miss at times. I am going to start reloading so that will solve the target practice issue. As far as ballistics, it is so close to the 45ACP that I am not worried about its effectiveness. As far as which gun just find the one that fits your hand the best. There are so many good products now days that is hard to get a really bad one. So weigh the pluses and minuses for yourself and see if it's for you. For me it was a good choice but for others ???????
Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice; I skipped the GAP

After reading some of your comments and talking with the major gun dealers and a range operator around here, I decided to not get a 45 GAP. Nobody thought the round would be around for long and the ballistics didn't compare to the 40 S & W.

So, I researched some more and ordered a 40 S&W in a Sig 239 SAS. Now, I have to wait a couple of weeks before I get my new baby. I've signed up for a couple of training courses (Firearms Institute of Seattle) and expect to carry concealed most of the time (not in schools, etc.).

Thanks again for the advice.

Larry

·
Super Moderator
24,786 Posts
I shot one of the 45GAP's yesterday - nice shooter - but the owner - who is a Glock Armorer - has spent 2 plus years trying to get the gun to operate correctly. That on top of the ammo issue.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I shoot the 9mm stuff so no advice from me. I may not kill'm but I'll scare the hell out of them.:banana: :banana:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I shoot 357SIG, another round folks said wouldn't last. If the 9mm magic bullet doesn't obliterate them, they will be blinded by the flash, and the sound will turn their legs to jello. It's got that whole shock and awe thing going for it, ya know ;)

Enjoy your .40, and welcome to the board.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts