Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a revolver guy and know quite a bit about proper defensive ammo for various revolvers, but semi automatics, not so much.

I've watched a lot of YouTube videos and done some googling about short barrel 45acp defensive ammunition and have come to no conclusions about what is the most reliable penetrator and expander in a 3.3" barrel.

I've been carrying short barrel Gold Dots in my Shield, mostly because I like them in 9mm, 38 special, and 357 magnum.

So what do you guys and gals like to carry in your short (3.3") barrel 45s ?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
IMHO the hype & marketing for high priced "defensive" ammo is just that. Hype. Any ammo from a reputable manufacturer (ball or JHP) will get the job done. There are many here that have actually seen what a standard .45 acp round does to a human.

Whatever round you plan to use for your EDC you have to train shooting that round.

[edit]

I EDC a Kimber SIS Ultra Carry (3" in .45acp). I train with it weekly putting 100+ rounds of JHP carry ammo through it.

·
Super Moderator
16,402 Posts
The only round that functions reliably in my SA Micro Compact is WWB 230gr JHP Personal Defense, at $o.72 a round I see no need for the $1.00+ boutique ammo.

·
Premium Member
33,899 Posts
I'm a revolver guy and know quite a bit about proper defensive ammo for various revolvers, but semi automatics, not so much.

I've watched a lot of YouTube videos and done some googling about short barrel 45acp defensive ammunition and have come to no conclusions about what is the most reliable penetrator and expander in a 3.3" barrel.

I've been carrying short barrel Gold Dots in my Shield, mostly because I like them in 9mm, 38 special, and 357 magnum.

So what do you guys and gals like to carry in your short (3.3") barrel 45s ?
A 4" Performance Center barrel. I don't know if they are separately available or not, but the increased effective range for me is very noticeable.

I carry 165 grain CorBon +P or Remington Golden Saber 185 grain +P.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Federal 230 gr. HST or
Winchester 230 gr. Ranger T

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
A 4" Performance Center barrel. I don't know if they are separately available or not, but the increased effective range for me is very noticeable.

I carry 165 grain CorBon +P or Remington Golden Saber 185 grain +P.
How's that Corbon do with POA VS POI?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
My last short barrel .45 I stoked with 230gr+P Ranger-T.

Personally, I’d go with any quality 230gr JHP (HST, R-T, Gold Dot, Golden Saber). If +P rounds aren’t found to be detrimental to recoil control and follow ups, it'd likely be a good choice.

Lucky Gunner has a very good test of various ammo through short barrels; it’s a good resource to begin with that at least gives apples to apples comparisons.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

·
Registered
324 Posts
I use 8.5 gr of HS-6 with a 200 gr Berry's Hybrid Hollow Point, CCI primer. In my ATI Titan 1911.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
I like these two for short barrel use:

-Federal HST
-Speer 230 gr Short barrel

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
I use plain ol Remington green and white box ammo. It’s an old fashion cup and core bullet style, but it’s accurate in my guns, and comes in a box of 100 rounds for under 50 dollars which means you can actually shoot what you carry, compared to the little 20 round box boutique ammo that runs you over $20.

With the 45 starting out at almost 1/2 inch in diameter, all I consider is reliability, accuracy and price.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IMHO the hype & marketing for high priced "defensive" ammo is just that. Hype. Any ammo from a reputable manufacturer (ball or JHP) will get the job done. There are many here that have actually seen what a standard .45 acp round does to a human.

Whatever round you plan to use for your EDC you have to train shooting that round.

[edit]

I EDC a Kimber SIS Ultra Carry (3" in .45acp). I train with it weekly putting 100+ rounds of JHP carry ammo through it.

I was thinking about loading up some Gold Dots as close to factory specs as I could get and train with them. And maybe even carry them, when my factory Gold Dot supply runs dry.

·
Registered
7,156 Posts
I carry 230 grain HSTs in my Shield 45 and Glocks. All except the G21 which runs 45 Supers.

A long time ago I did some testing that determined that the 45 got little benefit from a longer barrel. The main thing a long barrel did was give a better sight base. I would like to see some modern testing done over a chronograph to see if that still holds true.

I have witnessed the effectiveness of 45 HST in actual use. Quick termination of the threat. I'm sure other modern loads work also.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I have done no scientific testing of any kind but, I had a lot of boxes of Hornady 200 grain +P with the XTP bullet (given to me by Kimber friends years ago because those guns would not feed them reliably) and they work fine in my 4.25" 1911 as far as reliability and accuracy so I carry those with one spare mag of the same and one spare mag of Underwood 255+P hardcast for when I find myself in areas that require larger 4 legged defense. To tell the truth many brands of plain ol hardball would be fine with me in 45 but, since the JHP feed well. why not?

·
Registered
34,669 Posts
I carry .45 ACP 230-grain HPs and don't ponder a lot on what they'll do.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
I use plain ol Remington green and white box ammo. It’s an old fashion cup and core bullet style, but it’s accurate in my guns, and comes in a box of 100 rounds for under 50 dollars which means you can actually shoot what you carry, compared to the little 20 round box boutique ammo that runs you over $20.

With the 45 starting out at almost 1/2 inch in diameter, all I consider is reliability, accuracy and price.
Yeah, that, and also that .45 ACP has never been accused of being a derelict and over penetrating round in the first place. Heck, it's lucky if it can get their on time.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Yeah, that, and also that .45 ACP has never been accused of being a derelict and over penetrating round in the first place. Heck, it's lucky if it can get their on time.
Just gotta lead’em a little.

·
Premium Member
33,899 Posts
How's that Corbon do with POA VS POI?
It's a bit low out to about fifteen yards, then holds true to about thirty. About a six-inch drop by fifty.

Reactions: rotorhead1026

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Just gotta lead’em a little.
I like this tune a lot, most likely because it was about the "foty four", which holds a mythical place in my mind,

Dirty Hairy arrived in 1971. It took the Rolling Stones around two years to come up with Heartbreaker.

I have a still unworn Akubra Campdraft that I refuse to put on my head. I'm afraid someone will mistake me for foty four advice because I look like Elmer Keith.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2lzP7Q34PQw

1 - 20 of 24 Posts