Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im sure this has been asked before so i will say sorry ahead of time.

I am looking for a relibale 45cal handgun that is put IWB.
i currently have a PX4 SC 9mm works great but a little thick some times.
I also own a Kimber full size (bought about 10 years ago) that has never given me problems.

given recent concen over Kimber quality issues i am reluctant to buy another.

Any sugestions of a 45 cal that is somewhat slim.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Colt Defender is a good option for sticking with a 1911. If you can deal with a little more weight, I love my DW CBOB.

If you want light and thin, I'd say the PM45 by Kahr or a G36.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
How about a smaller version of the 1911. Maybe the 3" or 4".

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
Of course you are speaking of my EDC, a Glock-36?:yup::wave:

The Glock-36 is the thinnest of all the Glocks. Don't listen to the early (now years ago) complaints of the G-36, that's history. I know of at least a half dozen individuals with this firearm...all have been flawless, as has been mine.:comeandgetsome::danceban:

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
You already have a 5" 1911 that is reliable. What's wrong with carrying that?

Biker

·
Registered
263 Posts
I love my G36 as well as my Kimber Tactical Ultra II (3" barrel). Both are totally reliable and accurate at any reasonable distance. I would, and do, trust my life and my families to either of them on a regular basis. Don't buy into the hype about Kimbers or Glock reliability issues. Any manufacturer can produce a lemon or a fine weapon that someone just doesn't like for some reason.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Another vote for the G36 here. :hand10:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have two G36s and they are great, light, and accurate guns. Each has been 100% reliable. Their only disadvantage ( if you see it that way), is low round count.

A second option is the Ruger P345. It is a quality 45 acp that sells for around $450 new for the stainless version, about $425 blued. It has a polymer frame, holds 7+1 rounds, 4.25" barrel and weighs 30 oz. About the same size as a Colt Commander. Mine has been flawless with about 400 rds. through it (it is my newest). Carried in a Crossbreed Supertuck, all day carry is easy.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Springfield Champion; they also have other models that are smaller, but Springfield gets it right with the 1911 platform.

·
Registered
42,127 Posts
G36 is a good choice, G30 if you feel you need to up the rounds count (10+1), although it may be thicker than what you're hoping for. The advantage of the G30 is it can use the G21 13 rd mag.

·
Premium Member
7,578 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Kimber you already own? Carry it. If you are unsure of its reliability, go with something else.

The G36 is a decent option if your main requirement is size. I prefer a 4"-4.25" 1911 with an 8+1 capacity for EDC, but I do like the GLOCK (6+1)for deeper concealment.

The SIG 220's are nice also, but are thicker than the GLOCK.

Good luck!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kimber

thanks for the input, i love my old kimber its just a little big. and i'm a short guy.......please no comments about a short guy and a long pistol Ha Ha

any votes for an HK?

·
Registered
381 Posts
another vote for the ruger p345..i'd have to say take the mag disconnect safety out though and you're good to go
Is the Ruger SA only (cocked and locked carry)? If so, which way does the safety operate (up for safe or down for safe) as I can't tell from the pics of one?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Is the Ruger SA only (cocked and locked carry)? If so, which way does the safety operate (up for safe or down for safe) as I can't tell from the pics of one?
Ruger P345's are DA/SA. The manual safety lever serves as a decocker.

·
Registered
203 Posts
For folks who like the G36, what are your thoughts on the G30?

Is the G30 a lot heavier? Is the thinness of the G36 a major advantage?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts