• 10MM

Votes: 35 21.0%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I would like to get all of your thoughts and opinions.

What is better for SD/Carry 10mm or 45ACP?

I know some may think other cals are better than either please post your opinion.
But I am mostly just concerned with the 10mm and 45acp. thats the only reason the poll states those two.

Thanks

·
Banned
1,438 Posts
.45ACP, without a doubt. while the 10mm is a great round, and can take down a bear, there are issues which make it problematic:

#1 - it's expensive.

#2 - it's not readily available.

#3 - the recoil, as i understand it, is pretty bad.

#4 - from a legal perspective, it would be hard to justify carrying it. a man was found guilty of murder after using it in a self defense shooting. he was in mountain lion territory, i believe, and had to shoot a vagrant. the DA based his murder charge on the fact that he was carrying the 10mm. unbelievable, but true. i' sure someone else kows the story, and will come around with more facts.

i'd just as well carry the .45ACP; it's readily available, affordable, and more socially acceptable (i can't believe i said that about ammo). besides, if you're not a good shot, it wouldn't matter if you carry .22LR or .50BMG.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
It's .45 caliber for me.:image035:
It is what I have trained with, what I carry, and what I have purchased for stocking my shelves...it's much easier to find and afford.

To each his own...for larger 'preditors' I still have my coach gun.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
393 Posts
45 for all the reasons stated. 10 is a great round, but as I see it now it is a very "speciality" round. I have several friends who use it, and I wish I had one, but. Expnsive, hard too handle for most people. There is a reason the FBI went away.

·
Registered
598 Posts
.45ACP, without a doubt. while the 10mm is a great round, and can take down a bear, there are issues which make it problematic:

#1 - it's expensive.

#4 - from a legal perspective, it would be hard to justify carrying it. a man was found guilty of murder after using it in a self defense shooting. he was in mountain lion territory, i believe, and had to shoot a vagrant. the DA based his murder charge on the fact that he was carrying the 10mm. unbelievable, but true. i' sure someone else kows the story, and will come around with more facts.

i'd just as well carry the .45ACP; it's readily available, affordable, and more socially acceptable (i can't believe i said that about ammo). besides, if you're not a good shot, it wouldn't matter if you carry .22LR or .50BMG.
IMHO,

1. I haven't found 10mm to be significantly more expensive than .45
2. I order my 10mm ammo online and find that it's easily available.
3. I don't find the recoil of my G29 as unmanageable at all.
4. You're speaking about the Harold Fish case in AZ, his conviction was overturned. His initial conviction was based on more than just the caliber of weapon he was carrying, but the fact that he had a 10mm was used by the DA.

·
Banned
1,438 Posts
IMHO,

1. I haven't found 10mm to be significantly more expensive than .45
2. I order my 10mm ammo online and find that it's easily available.
3. I don't find the recoil of my G29 as unmanageable at all.
4. You're speaking about the Harold Fish case in AZ, his conviction was overturned. His initial conviction was based on more than just the caliber of weapon he was carrying, but the fact that he had a 10mm was used by the DA.
was it overturned? good for him; i thought that was a railroad job when i heard it.

i'm basing my opinions on the price from what i've seen in stores in my area. 10mm costs twice as much as .45ACP in the few store that carry it. you sure won't find it in Walmart!

a buddy of mine bought a Colt Delta Elite. he's having a ******* time getting ammo for it. we went and shot it when he first got it; it hurt like a (shut yo mouth!). much more recoil than i expected, in a 1911 frame. still fun to shoot, though.

·
Registered
598 Posts
was it overturned? good for him; i thought that was a railroad job when i heard it.

i'm basing my opinions on the price from what i've seen in stores in my area. 10mm costs twice as much as .45ACP in the few store that carry it. you sure won't find it in Walmart!

a buddy of mine bought a Colt Delta Elite. he's having a ******* time getting ammo for it. we went and shot it when he first got it; it hurt like a (shut yo mouth!). much more recoil than i expected, in a 1911 frame. still fun to shoot, though.
LOL - For sure, you won't find 10mm in Walmart. I get my 10mm range ammo from Georgia Arms - Georgia Arms - 10 MM When purchased online, I find 10mm ammo no more expensive that .45.

The Colt Delta Elite is a great gun. Since I've not shot a 1911 10mm, I can't really offer a comparison with the G29. But, for me, the G29 - while snappy - does not much more recoil that my Taurus .45.

I would just suggest to the OP, that you try both and get what you like. They're both great calibers IMO.

Here's a link to the FBI's notes on the 10mm - http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi_10mm_notes.pdf

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
#1 - it's expensive.

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Not really; it's only a hair worse than a 40 S&W.

4) Not a chance. There were a number of problems wrong with that man's defense. Caliber was mentioned but was certainly not the defining issue. A legal shot with a .50 AE is a legal shot. A bad shot with a .38 Special is still a bad shot. It is good to hear he was cleared of the conviction, though.

I'm hoping Vltor's introduction of the modernized Bren Ten will bring the 10mm back to prominence. That caliber's biggest downfall, historically, was that nobody was making durable, reliable, dedicated 10mm weapons. I think all but one or two models were converted pistols.

-B

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL - For sure, you won't find 10mm in Walmart. I get my 10mm range ammo from Georgia Arms - Georgia Arms - 10 MM When purchased online, I find 10mm ammo no more expensive that .45.

The Colt Delta Elite is a great gun. Since I've not shot a 1911 10mm, I can't really offer a comparison with the G29. But, for me, the G29 - while snappy - does not much more recoil that my Taurus .45.

I would just suggest to the OP, that you try both and get what you like. They're both great calibers IMO.

Here's a link to the FBI's notes on the 10mm - http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi_10mm_notes.pdf
Actually the 10mm and 45ACp is what I have carried for years. I have not found a 1911 in 10mm I like yet so I carry either a G20 or the g29, I prefer the g20.
When I carry the 45 acp its a 1911 or a g30/g21.
The reason I posted this poll is I am interested in everyones opinions and why they carry either one. I personally really like to carry 10mm most look at you like you are crazy to carry a 10mm. I don't really understand that.:wave:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Cost should not be a top criteria for what you carry for self defense purposes.

Right now Cabelas has Winchester 230 gr JHP 45 ACP for 0.48 a bullet
Wideners has 180 gr JHP 10mm for 0.70 a bullet, and
Doubletap has a plethora of 10mm at 0.77 a bullet

It just does not make sense to "go cheap" when it could be my life that is on the line.

During these trying times of ammunition scarcity, 10mm is no less available than many other calibers. My local range does stock it, but I do generally buy 10mm online.

Recoil management is dependent upon a lot of factors, not just bullet caliber. IMHO a Kimber Eclipse (Government sized) in 10mm does not present recoil issues over a Springfield Government size in 45 ACP. They do feel different, but in some ways slide recoil actually seems "smoother" in 10mm.

At distances of 6 feet or less and using modern ammunition, there is no practical benefit to one of these calibers over the other. Beyond 10 yards and with more massive threats, the 10mm starts to show value. Two things that often get overlooked in the whole FBI 10mm debate are:

1. 10mm was adopted to deal with threats using light cover (such as car doors), and
2. 10mm was evaluated to have greater future potential from the perspective of ammunition development. The case volume, loading pressures (around double that of 45 ACP), and bullet configuration all allow for tremendous performance growth.

Subsequent developments in ammunition have NOT realized this potential. Instead technology advances have improved powders (in existing case volumes) and bullet terminal ballistics. From a technical perspective, the best days of the 10mm are still to come (and may never be realized).

From a self defense perspective, I would prefer a 10mm to a 45 ACP outdoors and carrying a larger self defense tool.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
+1 for 10mm. Love shooting my Glock 29. No more recoil then a .40 s&w and MUCH easier to handle then my S&W 638 in .38spl +p

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm going against the grain on this one.
The .45 is easier to find. It's a respectable caliber. There are Many more guns made in the caliber.

The 10mm is a wicked serious round! The 10mm has far more penetration and foot pounds of energy than a .45 does.

I own both- the two are comparable, but I believe the 10mm to be the better stopper.

·
Registered
387 Posts
if you can only carry one pistol, the .45
if you are able, get both
the EAA witness is available in either caliber in full size and compact models
[wouldn't recommend a compact 10mm] the same size magazine carries more 10 than 45
it's a lot easier to practice regularly with a 45, to get parts, to buy accessories
100 years ago there was a 45 Colt
almost 100 years ago there was a 45 ACP
100 years from now, both will still likely exist
30 years ago, the 10mm didn't exist
30 years from now, it may be a museum piece

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I vote for the 45 acp. The 10mm is expensive to shoot and practice makes perfect. Another problem is control and getting back on the target after the first shot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone~

While I voted for the 45acp, 10mm is a very good choice also. By the numbers, 10mm can be a more powerful load but 45acp is more available on store shelves and currently has a wider selection of factory offerings.

The rounds both have the same overall length and there's only like 1.43mm difference in diameters...

From Federal L.E. Hydra-Shok ( at LE - Tactical Hydra-Shok)

10mm......180gr.....1030fps.....424ft/lbs
45acp.......230gr.......900fps.....414ft/lbs
45acp+P...185gr.....1130fps.....524ft/lbs

Now, before I get cooked by all the angry posters I must add that there are other hotter loads out there for 10mm but I use these three listings for 2 reasons. First, they are offered by the same company in a "L.E." offering and second they come from the same product line using the same bullet style, and thus,viewed by me as similar loads.

There are hotter loads out there for both in both "factory" options and handloads... On ammoguide.com for example, and there they show several loads for the 10mm that break 600 and even 700ft/lbs of energy. By contrast, the 45acp has a handful that breaks the 600 mark. Other than only looking at the energy from a round, for me, recoil is a factor, muzzle blast is a factor and most importantly, can I get the ammo I like and my pistol feeds it very well...

My carry is an old Commander light weight. I have never been dissatisfied with the performance of the 45acp or the factory loaded choices.

Sorry, I got on a roll...

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
I have both 45 ACP and 10MM. I voted 10MM because if my life depended on it I think the 10MM would do a better job. While I don't always carry what I consider enough gun, I think that since deer and people are about the same size choosing a round that I would feel comfortable shooting a deer with makes sense.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I voted 45ACP. Since pistols are under powered compared to shotguns and rifles, I want the biggest holes, and the 45ACP will give the marginally larger hole. Penetration will be adequate for both. Recoil will be easier to manage for the 45ACP over the 10mm.

Don't get me wrong I WANT a 10mm, and think it would be a great pin shooting or hunting pistol. But those are whole different applications.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts