1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
18,105 Posts
This was addressed when some members from the CastBoolits forum got together and built a bullet specifically for hunting. They figured out the largest metplat that could be successfully fed by the ACP gun and made a blueprint.Then they sent off the mold to the Lee Company and had a custom built bullet mold buy. I got in on this buy and bought a mold and tried them out with several different powder loads.

All of them worked well and all of them were pretty accurate. Although I have yet to whack a deer, I have whacked several other critters with them and they performed as well as anything out there killing all of them dead right there.

I've always thought that the .45 ACP was a bit light for deer though several people that I know have shot deer with them. I've dispatched a few deer with my Glock 21, but it was with the Remington Gold Dot that was issued to me, and the deer were in bad shape to begin with.

With the right bullet it might be OK out to say, 40 yards or so, but much beyond that would be pushing it I think.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Dispatched a deer one night with my .38spl. I was carrying 158gr SWC's if I remember correctly (small department. We carried whatever we wanted.) This was 30 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
22,036 Posts
I have two friends that hunt regularly with 1911s in 45acp.

Jared took his small Texas dear with 230gr Gold Dots, they seemed to have worked very well indeed.

(I cropped the picture, I don't know if he would care if I used it or not.)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Deer hunting with a 1911? I think the only more manly way to do it would be with a knife or sharp stick

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
A good accurate .45 with a full power load behind a good JHP will do the job, but there are far better choices for hunting.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Well it will get the job done...obviously, but an ethical hunter must make absoultely sure of shot placement as we all see it is marginal in most situations, or it would be a much more popular choice. No need in shooting an animal and then it runnign off and dying a death undeserving of one of these beautiful creatures. Becaus they run off and the hunter cant find them and they die from infection or lay and rot in the woods.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I used my carry gun to drill a 300 pound feral hog a few years back; don't have a pic of the hog, but do have the slug I got out, for the record it was a 165 grain corbon round.....

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Well it will get the job done...obviously, but an ethical hunter must make absoultely sure of shot placement as we all see it is marginal in most situations, or it would be a much more popular choice. No need in shooting an animal and then it runnign off and dying a death undeserving of one of these beautiful creatures. Becaus they run off and the hunter cant find them and they die from infection or lay and rot in the woods.

That applies whether one is using a .22 short or a .500 S&W.

Know your caliber, know it's limitations, and know your (as a shooter) limitations.

I know someone who took a deer at about 15 yards with a G21 and a 230+P XTP. Fully penetrated the chest, deer dropped within 20 yards.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
My uncle took down an 8 pointer on his property in WV 2 seasons ago with 230gr gold dots from a 1911 at approx 20-25 yrds. It can be done.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
+1 Well said, jwhite75.

There are a few occassions where your carry piece may be preferable, such as an extremely close shot, but I'd rather drop an animal cleanly. Use the right tool for the job at hand.

·
Super Moderator
22,036 Posts
That applies whether one is using a .22 short or a .500 S&W.

Know your caliber, know it's limitations, and know your (as a shooter) limitations.

I know someone who took a deer at about 15 yards with a G21 and a 230+P XTP. Fully penetrated the chest, deer dropped within 20 yards.
Exactly! It's normally the shooter that isn't up to the job, not the cartridge.

We wouldn't hesitate to use a 230gr .45ACP on a 250lb aggressor, but it's not adequate for a 120lb (BIG deer) thin skinned animal. :rolleyes:

It wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't get all worked up if I had to use it.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
Exactly! It's normally the shooter that isn't up to the job, not the cartridge.

We wouldn't hesitate to use a 230gr .45ACP on a 250lb aggressor, but it's not adequate for a 120lb (BIG deer) thin skinned animal. :rolleyes:

It wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't get all worked up if I had to use it.
Dat's not a big deer, at least not everywhere you go. :image035:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Handgun hunting is not easy but it is fun. You have to be quiet and still and very patient to get a shot with a handgun. Opposed to sitting in a curtained box stand where you could dance a jig if you wanted to and still get a 200 yard shot with a rifle. If you want to handgun hunt a .45acp will do the trick every time, so will a .357, .38special, heck a .22 will do it if you hit the deer right. I'm going to hunt this whole season with my .357.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Another thing I didn't see brought up is check your state's hunting regs. Most states have a minimum caliber and/or barrel length restriction on handgun hunting.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts