Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes. It's true. At my house, anyway. I'm not one who generally follows a crowd (in this case the trendy rush toward mini and micro pistols in small-bore calibers).

.45 auto isn't a bad choice, of course. I do like shooting modest target loads in 45auto very much. But I find that I'm not able to shoot .45auto premium street loads nearly as well (fairly rapid fire), nor as quickly (much longer split times), as I can shoot .40S&W or 9mm premium defense loads. Not to mention the higher cost of shooting .45auto.

9mm isn't a bad choice either, but .40S&W offers more punch (better terminal ballistics), nearly as much capacity, and is just about as easy for me to shoot well as I shoot 9mm.

I do like 9mm, sort of; it's a decent defense caliber, but not "great", not exciting, it's sort of like shooting .22 caliber - not a lot of thrill there, for me. I just happen to like .40S&W a lot more. .40S&W has personality. Some good punch. But it's pretty easy, soft-shooting at the same time. It really IS a caliber "sweet spot" for me. Great capacity, easy to shoot well, and packs a good defensive punch.

Certainly, the mad rush at the gun shops is away from .45auto and away from .40S&W - and toward 9mm. It is sort of a "race to the bottom", in a sense, to my mind. And at a time when the masses are downsizing as quickly as they can to pocket guns and mouse guns in 9mm and .380, I find myself really developing an ever stronger appreciation for .40S&W, in mid-size and full-size carry guns.

I find it quizzical that so many are rushing to such small guns and minor calibers, en masse.

So, yes, for me... .45auto and 9mm ARE dying calibers. Long live .40S&W. I think in time, the "mass market" pendulum will swing back to .40S&W again.

The M&P40 and Sig P320 Full size .40S&W are my favorite carry guns and are really reaffirming my heartfelt endorsement of .40S&W.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Different strokes for different folks. I've had some .40s over the years and never warmed up to the caliber, sold my last one several years ago . I've got plenty of. 45s and several 9mms, though, and no plans to ever buy another .40.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Dying? I see tons of used 40s for sale. Meanwhile 9mm get sucked up as soon as they hit the store shelf. At the same time, small .45s like the Shield and XDS are huge right now.

I work with probly 20 people who concealed carry, and exactly 1 of them has a .40, and it's because he got a good deal on it used. Everyone else carries 9mm, with maybe 1 or 2 who carry 380. I carry 9mm or .45, or very occasionally 380 when it is all I can conceal.

I invite you to buy up all the 40s you want, because most of us are happy with our 9mm and .45.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Different strokes for different folks. I've had some .40s over the years and never warmed up to the caliber, sold my last one several years ago . I've got plenty of. 45s and several 9mms, though, and no plans to ever buy another .40.
Isn't that interesting! I've got a bunch of 1911s and other .45s and a bunch of 9mms, and while I do like them, shooting and carrying .40S&W is what I love the most! :smile: With no plans to buy another .45auto, nor another 9mm.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Dying? I see tons of used 40s for sale. Meanwhile 9mm get sucked up as soon as they hit the store shelf. At the same time, small .45s like the Shield and XDS are huge right now.

I work with probly 20 people who concealed carry, and exactly 1 of them has a .40, and it's because he got a good deal on it used. Everyone else carries 9mm, with maybe 1 or 2 who carry 380.

I invite you to buy up all the 40s you want, because most of us are happy with our 9mm and .45.
Drmordo.... I sense that you may not have read my post very carefully.

Dying? Yes, they are for my purposes. Of course! Are they dying in the gun shops? Hahaha. NOT. That's what amuses me.

As I said, the masses are flocking to the smallest, lightest caliber offerings they can get their hands on. That's what cracks me up. Or to tiny .45s!

Do you think a pocket size .45auto makes good sense? If you do, then more power to you. ;-) They are difficult to control and have very low capacity. What's the good sense in that? (Not that I want to be SHOT with one, but comparatively speaking - they are not a "great" defense pistol choice.)

Like I said, I generally don't follow the trendy crowd. Small .45s are crappy defense guns, in my view, due to being more difficult to control, slow in follow up shots, very low in capacity, and not uncommonly, can be more prone to malfunction. They're really "cool", of course. But a bit of a crazy idea, if you think rationally about it. And pocket- and mouse-gun 9mms and .380s are compromised defense pistols as well, compared to mid-size and full-size pistols. Do I have some of the aforementioned small pistols myself? Yes, I do. But they're safe queens, because larger, more capable pistols are not difficult to carry, nor to conceal, under most circumstances.

Small .45s and pocket nines and .380s really ARE all the rage right now. No doubt about it. But what the masses rush toward (think Barry Manilow or Billy Joel) aren't necessarily the top shelf in terms of quality choice. (Music analogy isn't real great, I know, as there is no accounting for taste in art, nor in music.)

Put any of us in a darkest-day, personal defense scenario (which is what we carry a pistol for) and I guarantee you, those folks with miniature six-shot 45s and pocket .380s would likely be wishing they had a full size defense pistol in their hands. That's the whole reason they carry a gun in the first place! To be as reasonably well prepared as possible for a terribly horrific situation.

I don't carry a pistol for small, comfortable, convenience. I carry a pistol because if I ever had to use it in defense of life, I want something that stands a relatively good chance of helping me prevail, in terms of:

-excellent shoot-ability
-relatively high capacity
-relatively potent caliber

None of the trendy tiny pistols measure up to a mid-size or full-size pistol in those three criteria. But the masses seem to think they either can't carry/conceal a more capable pistol, or they just don't think it is important enough to do so.

Certainly, having a pocket .380 or nine is a LOT better than no pistol at all, but my philosophy is that if I'm going to carry a pistol, I want to carry the one that I would wish to have in my hand should the darkest day of my life unexpectedly come about.

Many come to the forums to eagerly share their enthusiasm for their pocket- or mouse gun acquisition. I'm glad they're enthused about firearms, though I may agree on the great suitability of the choice.

Many other than myself, quite obviously, think differently than I do on the subject. They're all rushing out to buy the smallest size, smallest caliber pistols that are new on the scene. What they choose for themselves is, of course, none of my concern. But I am a bit perplexed in the strength of the trend.

.45auto and 9mm (and small/mini pistols) are dying at MY house, where .40S&W in full-size pistols is thriving. I'm enthused about that.

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
I can't agree with either .45 or 9mm as "dying calibers." 9mm is, and will likely continue to be, the standard US Military and NATO round and now the FBI and a lot of LE organizations are going back to it. That is hardly a sign of a dying caliber.

As for .45, have you noticed that nearly every major model of full-size semi-auto has become available in .45, and new .45 variants are being introduced regularly? 1911's are fetching very good prices and new variants seem to be getting introduced regularly. People are buying all those and they will need ammo for them.

According to LuckyGunner last year, 9mm was 21.4% of their ammo revenue, including both rifle and pistol. .45 ACP was 9% and .40 was 7.3%. Now maybe .40 is trending up, I don't know, but those numbers hardly indicate the death of 9mm or .45.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I carry a 4 1/4'' or 5'' 1911 in 45 every day. Now and then I will carry a 1911 in 10mm just for a change.
SatCong.... I am a 1911 fan, too, that's for sure. They aren't necessarily what I shoot best nor are they still my first choice in defense pistols, but they sure are wonderful guns! And, I still carry a 1911 every once in a while, just because I love them. :wink: I can be a bit irrational at times (not carrying what I shoot the best, or feel is the best suited). But a Commander or Government model 1911 is arguably a very capable defense weapon!

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't agree with either .45 or 9mm as "dying calibers." 9mm is, and will likely continue to be, the standard US Military and NATO round and now the FBI and a lot of LE organizations are going back to it. That is hardly a sign of a dying caliber.

As for .45, have you noticed that nearly every major model of full-size semi-auto has become available in .45, and new .45 variants are being introduced regularly? 1911's are fetching very good prices and new variants seem to be getting introduced regularly. People are buying all those and they will need ammo for them.

According to LuckyGunner last year, 9mm was 21.4% of their ammo revenue, including both rifle and pistol. .45 ACP was 9% and .40 was 7.3%. Now maybe .40 is trending up, I don't know, but those numbers hardly indicate the death of 9mm or .45.
JMF.... I sense that you did not read my post, but just the headline, which was a tongue-in-cheek response to the many ".40S&W is Dying" threads that are popping up here and there.

Of course .45auto and 9mm are not "dying" calibers, any more so than .40S&W is a "dying" caliber.

My point is that I've found shooter's bliss in the "mid" caliber of .40S&W and in mid-size and full-size pistols! And my .45s, 9mms and mini pistols are languishing in the shadows of my safe. :smile: Quite the opposite of the trendy rush toward very small guns, in small calibers, that has been raging for a while now. :image035:

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I like 40 and now is a good time to be a 40 shooter, ammo that is sold out in 9mm or 45 may be available in 40.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
DHart ... Just the opposite at my house. 40 S&W is no where to be found. As I culled the heard over the past few years, 40 S&W was the biggest loser (don't miss them a bit). Long live 9mm and .45acp :image035:.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts

I work with probly 20 people who concealed carry, and exactly 1 of them has a .40, and it's because he got a good deal on it used. Everyone else carries 9mm, with maybe 1 or 2 who carry 380. I carry 9mm or .45, or very occasionally 380 when it is all I can conceal.

And the 9mm models now usually command a higher price.

Best part about all those cheap "surplus" .40s, is they're just a barrel away from being.......

357 SIGs!!!!

Which is like the best of both worlds.......

Chuck

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
I think that 9mm's are more popular than ever and I own several including an AR carbine! That being said there is a place for .45 and .40's which I also own! As far as an outdoors gun that might also be used for 4 legged thick skinned animals the .40 outshines the 9mm by a significant margin. IMO the .40 and .45 are much better in a SD scenario if barriers come into play. I think that all three calibers are great for their intended purpose, while understanding their limitations. Just my .02 worth!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Freedom of choice is a beautiful thing.

I have never owned a .40 and never will but, I'm glad it's out there for those who want that caliber. You have some good looking handguns. Enjoy them to the fullest.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
If anything is dying, it is the .40 S&W.
With so many agencies transitioning to 9mm, and continued availability of the cheaper 9mm ammo, I agree. 40S&W guns are almost always cheaper than 9mm or 45ACP pistols. If you are a fan of the 40, now is a great time to buy.

Reactions: DHart

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
DHart and I have chosen different carry loads and guns but one thing he will have up on me is that when the next ammo panic happens he should likely be able to find all the 40 S&W his heart can desire. Last panic I could always find 40 on the shelf. 9mm and 45ACP not so much.

1 - 20 of 246 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.