Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't really looked at this caliber, but I was thinking about getting it as I can get a fullsize .45GAP Glock for $320, and I know that one of the other local stores has quite a bit of that caliber, and most on sale.

Is it a decent caliber, and are mags available for it?

I'm going between another 1911, another XD9, or this Glock.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Its an expensive round to shoot, it is said to have the same ballistics of the ACP round.

·
Super Moderator
17,712 Posts
My understanding is Glock developed the 45GAP round in order to have a 45cal handgun with a slightly smaller grip size, that being said many consider it an answer to a question never asked. Around here 45GAP ammo is hard to find and expensive when found much better to stay with 45ACP or for a smaller round the 40S&W.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Cost more than the 45 acp and isn't as powerful. 45 acp +p really puts it to shame. In 10 years it very well may be hard to get or may be discontinued by most ammo manufacturers.

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
My understanding is Glock developed the 45GAP round in order to have a 45cal handgun with a slightly smaller grip size, that being said many consider it an answer to a question never asked. Around here 45GAP ammo is hard to find and expensive when found much better to stay with 45ACP or for a smaller round the 40S&W.

^^^^^^I agree.^^^^^^^

This seems to me like something someone with nothing better to do
dreamed up,,, like a screen on a submarine; sounded like a good idea in the summertime, but who really needs it.

Ok, so what's the speed of dark?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Nice price, but given the difficulty to sometimes find .45 GAP ammo, the $ of the ammo, I would pass. Comming from a .357 Sig fan. I would save up for a .45 ACP.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I wonder why it's selling for $320?
I'd stay away from the .45GAP...OMO

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
There is only one company who is still making it....after the XD dropped out. It simply is a answer without a question. Most think it was simply an exercise in conceit for Gaston.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
It is a 9mm/40 frame.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I never did get the 45 GAP. Maybe if had beat the 45 auto to market it might have a chance. I think one of the most expensive things about guns is the ammunition. It is very easy to spend several thousand dollars on amuunition over time. Why try to save a little on a gun then go bankrupt buying ammo. Sometimes an oddball caliber will have high value with collectors, but in this case i am not seeing it.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very good points gentlemen, thank you. I think I'll just save a couple hundred more and get a pistol in a round I already have, and that everyone else uses too. That way I know they'll keep it around.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
It is a 9mm/40 frame.
But more than just a barrel drop in (other than after market maybe).

I could be incorrect. I think it would require mags, barrel, and several other parts and basic smithing to properly convert to 9mm / 40....and then you would have the slide still marked .45 GAP.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
But more than just a barrel drop in (other than after market maybe).

I could be incorrect. I think it would require mags, barrel, and several other parts and basic smithing to properly convert to 9mm / 40....and then you would have the slide still marked .45 GAP.
The G37, and G38 (45g.a.p.) models are the same dimensions as the 9mm, 40S&W, and 357sig models in the full size and compact. I agree, converting one 45g.a.p. Glock into another of the smaller calibers is not going to be cost effective. Besides changing magazines, barrels, and ejectors....I would think you'd need a new slide as well. Many factors would influence me away from buying a 45g.a.p. Glock even though it's a Glock.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
The GAP is a neat concept but just didn't take on well enough. .45 ACP ballistics from a 9mm frame weapon. Great idea, but the public and law enforcement wasn't sold on it. I think it will remain a niche cartridge like the 10mm and 357 SIG.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
It's a round that was developed for law enforcement.Who else could get a company to build a pistol(glock) for that ******* round .My son-n-law
bought one he was real sorry as when he found ammo it was so expensive
he could barely shoot it.Unfortunately for him some doper broke in his apartment
and stole his guns ! Of course they took only the best ones and left the junk.
They were traded or sold for drugs.When he got to replace his losses he took to heart what everyone told him buy a 45 acp that way ammo available and affordable!I almost fell over he did.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts