Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comments - Evaluations? Just trying to decide If I want to get one - going through the thought process first....

·
Registered
810 Posts
Actually have three of them. I bought an OD green one after a lot of thoughts about wearing a "shoot me first" vest and all the other stuff I'd heard -- but it gets hot here in Missouri and I really didn't want to quit carrying my little 1911 during the summer.
What I decided was that the people who know what it is are either other CCW people (no problem), LE (no problem) or trained expert killers and I'm just not likely to be a target - and if I am, they're better and I'm done.
What I really found was that, like most stuff, NO one notices at all. My wife thought the vest looked so good that she told me to buy two more of them.
They have more pockets than I need, and there's a lot of material toward the bottom since there are velcro loop panels in each side to hold 5.11 accessory holsters. The back is vented vertically, nice when it's hot.
I wear a size 42 coat and a 5.11 medium vest fits just right. Overall, I've been pleased. I can still pack my regular gun --- and people really do not pay any attention to the vest... or anything else for that matter.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I totally agree with the above. Nobody notices ANYTHING. :sheep:

It's hotter than hell here in N. TX right now and though I normally wear a 5.11 vest and carry a full size 1911 OWB, it's just too hot. A baggy t-shirt and my Glock 29 in an IWB kydex holster goes completely unnoticed. The whole shoot-me-first thing is completely bogus. If it were true then there would be dead guys in hawaiian shirts all over the place.

Completely unrelated but I just noticed this new smilie and could not resist using it. :nutkick:

:rofl:

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have two and use them often. If you plan on using all the extra gear that Velcro's inside get one size larger then usual.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone have a link to buy the Woolrich Elite vest online?

·
Registered
109 Posts
ArmyCop -

Check this vest out. I have one and find it to be much lighter in weight, cooler than the 5.11 stuff. It also looks more casual and civilian than the 5.11 vests do. It does not scream "I'm Packing" like some of the others.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47687869&parent_category_rn=4501429&vcat=REI_SEARCH

It is made by Columbia Sportswear and it is called the Omni-Dry Venture Vest $50.00 Item 705571. I bought it on the REI website. REI is a great store.

They also make it for woman.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
I use 1 from time to time. in fact wore it tonight. I like the looks of it with a collared shirt. Also the multi pocket sure help alot with carrying gear. I do NOT use the hidden pocket for my firearm. I have found the (gun) weight swings too much and , I don't like the way the vest bulges near the bottom with a gun on board. However the vest makes a great cover garmnet, with the belt loops to hold tighter to your body during windy days.
The lowest price I have seen yet. Actually another post on here.:hand5:
http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=9918&highlight=5.11+vest

·
Registered
753 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
:confused: Digital camo , what a :nutkick: :frown:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I have the vest, and it works well, but in the summer, I like the 5.11short sleeved shirt. I have carried a Sig P220 on one side, and a Taurus 945 on the other, and no one noticed. I hope.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I purchased several SCOTT eVests about three or four years ago. They are comparable to other vests, with something Scott calls the "PAN" or personal area network. The PAN is essentially loops and openings in and around the pockets that allow you to loop in headphones and other wires within the vest so they don't stick out.

The vests aren't cheap, but there are several variations of the eVests for sale. I purchased them when they were fairly inexpensive. I use a stone colored one constantly at the range and its been washed dozens of times with no perceptible wear or loss of stitching.

All in all, SCOTT makes great vests.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I bought my vest from Cabela's. It is called a Safari vest. It is great and has plenty of pockets of all sizes. $49.95

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I found a faded glory vest at the Goodwill store
4 bucks.
Tan,lots of pockets.
When I wear it, people asks if I'm going
fishing.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I use vests all the time...........

5.11s included. The only people who even notice I'm even wearing a vest don't associate it guns, they ask me: 'Are you going fishing?' OR 'Do you take pictures?'

As far the 'shoot me 1st' look, NOBODY notices & I'm very alert to what goes on around me & have been carrying for over 15 years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a black one and was wearing it in a McDonald's in Oak Brook, IL. A little girl in the booth next to mine asked me "are you police?" as I got up to leave. Must have been the navy blue button down shirt underneath and my regulation haircut...

The look on her dad's face was priceless. :smile:

·
Administrator
143,573 Posts
I LOVE 511 Pants & their shorts. All Cotton & extremely high quality...even though NOT Made in the USA.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Columbia Sports Vest on sale

The Columbia Sports Omni-Dry Venture Vest (and everything else) is 25% off at NorwaySports.com. I just got one for $37.46 + shipping. You have to enter DADGRAD in the coupon code at checkout.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts