Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after choosing the AR Platform for primarily HD & SHTF (Apocalyptic, Economic Crash, End of Times, and of course Zombies) Gun along with the 5.56/223 (because of over penetration concerns). I am turned to my goto Ammo Source SGAMMO to check out their pricing only to learn that the 223 is more than the 7.62x39, a lot more. Appears to be 4 or $5 difference depending on the packaging. So, whats your source? Thanks...

·
Registered
598 Posts
Midwayusa.com

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to the both of you, now those are some decent prices I can live wth..

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Midwayusa.com
Thanks for the tip of the Euro Optics. Their website was down earlier this afternoon but it is now up and running. I have called them twice already today asking questions and they have been very helpful. Appearently Vortex is coming out with a new 6x power scope to add to their PST Line which would serve as a dual application Home Defense and Range work out to a couple hundred yards. The fellow said they are new and are not out yet, don't expect them until this Spring.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
PSA has 4 or 5 buck boxs

SGA is go to for me

Midway and such will have discount etc deal now and then

Again steel case is cheepr

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
7.62x39 in brass is more expensive, you're looking at the steel case ammo. The AK platform has no problem with it which is why they work so well and are less expensive all around.

Stay away from the steel case 223/556 stuff, not worth it IMO.
I only usually shoot Tula 223 ammo, and never had any issues. I can get 1000 rounds for little over $200.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Last time I bought brass cased 7.62x39, it was near a buck a round. Steel case is about $5/20 rounds at the local Wally.
I reload my own 223/5.56.
Range brass is plentiful, powder, primers & bullets let me load for about $.12/round.
And it's more accurate than store bought.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Buy a press and load your own. Thank me later.

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Does freedom munitions reload anymore? The last few times I checked, they only have name brand stuff. I used to buy all my reloads from there.

·
Super Moderator
19,885 Posts
Based on historical prices for 5.56 over the past 5 years or so, if I can get it for 35 cents a round or less for brass-cased ammo, I'll be happy to buy. You have to shop around to see what the prices are this week - no one vendor has a lock on the best prices.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Last time I bought brass cased 7.62x39, it was near a buck a round. Steel case is about $5/20 rounds at the local Wally.
I reload my own 223/5.56.
Range brass is plentiful, powder, primers & bullets let me load for about $.12/round.
And it's more accurate than store bought.
Agreed, .223 is where the economics of reloading start to come in. Brass is everywhere, components are relatively cheap, even match bullets aren't much. Bottom line is unless you've got a bunch of discretionary cash, reloading is the way to go if you want to shoot a lot of .223 (or any other rifle other than 7.62x39 for that matter).

Chuck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts