Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the basics on handgun rounds. But nothing about rifle rounds. What do you guys use for 5.56 range ammo vs self defense ammo?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I use whatever for training, Steel case, 55, 62, for sub 50 yard speed drills. Doesn't matter much to me.
I stick to M193 or cheaper options with similar ballistics (Federal Black Pack 55gr, Fiocchi 55gr, Hornady Frontier 55gr, PPU 55gr) when I'm shooting longer ranges. All my ARs are sighted in with this ammo, and they all group the same.
I don't shoot it except to verify reliability, but I keep some 77gr TAP and M855 around just to have more options in the event I need to use it.

·
Registered
Various
15,547 Posts
When I want to check the potential performance of a rifle, I shoot Hornady Superformance or Superformance Match ammo. For SHTF use, I stock thousand round boxes of Federal Lake City NATO surplus ammo.

·
Registered
6,791 Posts
I use a little bit of everything. Mostly M193 from various places on the range.
77gr OTBT from various manufacturers for shorter barrel rifles.
I use Federal 68 gr Match or heavier for longer ranges out to 600 yards.
Federal Lake City is great for general use.

Finding good defensive ammo for an AR is easy. Finding the same for an AK is another story.

Reactions: matthew03

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
I use a little bit of everything. Mostly M193 from various places on the range.
77gr OTBT from various manufacturers for shorter barrel rifles.
I use Federal 68 gr Match or heavier for longer ranges out to 600 yards.
Federal Lake City is great for general use.

Finding good defensive ammo for an AR is easy. Finding the same for an AK is another story.
I prefer the AK round even though defensive ammo is a little rare. I did get a few hundred rounds of hollow point 7.62x39 some years back; I think I got them from Palmetto State. They will give a good showing in my Mini 30.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
M193, M855 for range and GP use. For SD, I'll start with the twenty 60gr BT in the mag. Considering I keep eighty mags loaded and ready, the party could last a long time.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
M193 55gr for range and HD with a 16"+ barrel. Maximum fragmentation on soft targets and drywall. Minimum penetration through barriers (HD).

For short barrels, 5.56NATO is less than ideal, but heavier, jacketed, expanding bullets are best.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
M193 55gr for range and HD with a 16"+ barrel. Maximum fragmentation on soft targets and drywall. Minimum penetration through barriers (HD).

For short barrels, 5.56NATO is less than ideal, but heavier, jacketed, expanding bullets are best.
I started out with a minimum amount for now of M193 55gr Hornady. Academy Sports had 20 round boxes for $6.99. 3 box max. I definitely need to get some more ammo, but I have put enough on my CC for this month just getting the rifle (it has a 16" barrel), mags, assembly tools and ammo.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I match bullet weight to barrel twist. I figure Uncle Sam has more resources to conduct the research than I do.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
For range ammo and honestly for budget self defense ammo you can’t beat Wolf Gold 55gr m193 clone.

For more expensive 5.56 SD ammo there are any number of choices...55gr all copper loadings like TSX, 62-64gr soft points like Fed Fusion or Win Power Point, or 75-77gr loadings such as Hornady TAP or a sierra OTM like the MK262.

Basically any 5.56 soft point meant for defense or moderate sized game hunting, any 55gr all coper expanding bullet, or any sierra OTM bullet in the 69-77gr will do well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts