Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not yet. Hard to find a holster. I recently purchased a Don Hume belt slide that works though. Just haven't carried it yet. It is certainly the lightest weight of any full size gun I have carried. But it is big and not the most easy to conceal. (it's ugly too, IMO)

It has become my choice for home defense being the one that resides on my bedside table complete with lasermax green laser and streamlight tactical flashlight mounted to the tactical rails.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I purchased a Serpha holster for mine, I usually carry it when I am on the farm bush hogging or riding the four wheeler around to check fence it is a great coyote pistol.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Good HD or around the farm gun as stated above but I dont think HD. A freind of mine has a 5.7 AR the magazine is on the top of the forearm....

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Like others said,depends on penetration,if that round has a tendency to overpenetrate it wouldn't be good for SD,you might be in a good shooting but if the round continues thru the target and kills an innocent person you will probably be charged with manslaughter

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Given all the nonsense about the 5.7X28 being a "cop killer" round/gun, I'd probably be a bit cautious about carrying one from the get-go. All rhetoric aside, the FN is a light but huge gun and the round doesn't produce any more energy than a good 9mm SD round, albeit with a flatter trajectory.

Hoss

·
Registered
245 Posts
Given all the nonsense about the 5.7X28 being a "cop killer" round/gun, I'd probably be a bit cautious about carrying one from the get-go. All rhetoric aside, the FN is a light but huge gun and the round doesn't produce any more energy than a good 9mm SD round, albeit with a flatter trajectory.

Hoss
The 5.7 round is just getting a bad rap because of its potential. It's no more harmful than a hard hitting .357Sig +P. The 7.62x25 Tokarev got a bad rap as well becuase of its ballistic design as a "killer" round.

Anytime you bottle-neck a casing to produce more muzzle velocity you get folks fuming about the round's capability. Trust in this, the pistols are far short of their true potential with those rounds. Look at the rifle and you'll see what full powder burn actually is capable of with the 5.7 round.

Personally, 5.7 ammo is pricy as well as the firearm itself, which makes it impractical for many. The conical rounds are where the controversy is going to lie. Bottle-necked conical rounds will obtain a through-and-through affect rather easily. The new CZ special police pistols accomplish just that and it's basically a standard 9mm. But a lot of that is just the round itself.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Too fast of a round IMHO for SD.

Too fast? Maybe.

I'd be more worried about recoil affecting shot recovery for that second or third shot should those be needed. Faster isn't always a bad thing...just gets from point A to point B that much quicker and ends the threat scenario just the same.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Too fast? Maybe.

I'd be more worried about recoil affecting shot recovery for that second or third shot should those be needed. Faster isn't always a bad thing...just gets from point A to point B that much quicker and ends the threat scenario just the same.
Recoil? Have you shot the FN5.7? I would say that that would be one of the most positive aspects of it being a carry choice as the recoil seemed to almost not be there.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I know, it's definately an interesting pistol to shoot and multi-shot response is great, but it also has to do with the specific shooter and how he/she allows or trains the body to respond.

For instance, I might be able to put all 9 rounds in a tight grouping out of my .44Mag Desert Eagle in rapid succession (would be much faster with a .45 or 9mm due to cycling of such a behemoth), but another shooter might have difficulty just getting 2 down range in a grouping and it may not be rapid succession. My response would be because I've trained my eyes, hands, and body to react to that firearm under that specifc stress.

The 5.7 (and other bottle neck cartridges) would be the same biophysical-reactive process. That's the beauty of body adaptation...it can be trained to overcome nearly any circumstance.

I'd own a 5.7 if it weren't so expensive. Wait a sec...wonder if I could get a straight trade for my IMI Desert Eagle?

·
Banned
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is one hell of an ugly pistol.Most of the good ammo from FN is prohibited to import so we are stuck with FNH ammo with the Hornady 40gr V-Max.It is still pretty fast at 2,034 fps vs. the FN SS190 or SS195LF at 2,350 fps.Recoil is almost absent.Feels like a .22.Multiple accurate shoot placement is no problem and long range accuracy is quite good.I have an IOM model and have considered it for carry but I am worried that LE and the courts would cause problems with the use of a high velocity bottle necked round that looks like a miniature 5.56.

·
Banned
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Would if I had one! If you're having trouble locating a holster for the FN 5.7, you could shoot the folks at Crossbreed Holsters an email and ask if they make one for it. I have several and love them! Be sure to visit their site before you email so you know what holster to ask about.

Site:
Crossbreed Holsters > Home

email:
[email protected]
Thanks diverdown247 for posting the links!

·
Registered
866 Posts
good round if you are protecting your home from people in body armor....

·
Banned
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
good round if you are protecting your home from people in body armor....
Only the SS190 is capable of defeating soft armor not Level III or ballastic hard plates.If you served in the military the FN 5.7x28mm SS190 is the same as the M855 bullet in 5.56x45mm.Steel tip aluminum or lead core.It is not an all steel core round.
Here is mine,fun when you can find some SB193 sub sonic rounds!

·
Banned
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a note to those who may question.Iam a collector and shooter of NFA weapons.All are legal and registered with the BATFE.Machineguns,Suppressors,Destructive Devices,AOW's,Short Barrell Rifles and Shotguns are not illegal,these items may be legally owned in many states.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
If I wanted to take out body arnour, I have some 30.06 reload options that will do the trick from a distance. I consider it a SHTF round (maybe a sure fire bear round). Body armour is not the issue in your typical SD situation. It is penetration of barriers, like say a car. So I would give the round a maybe, but likely, some of the disadvantages (getting back on target) or more critical for the typical SD.

·
Banned
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I wanted to take out body arnour, I have some 30.06 reload options that will do the trick from a distance. I consider it a SHTF round (maybe a sure fire bear round). Body armour is not the issue in your typical SD situation. It is penetration of barriers, like say a car. So I would give the round a maybe, but likely, some of the disadvantages (getting back on target) or more critical for the typical SD.
Correct body armor is not the issue in self defense,the SS190 round is a controlled item.I agree with giving the round a maybe for carry.I just find that round and the host weapon to be very accurate and given it has 35% less recoil than a typical 9mm defense round,very easy to control when firing at single or multiple targets.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts